FourFourTwo Magazine April 2010

I am a regular reader of FourFourTwo and was excited this month to see not only an article on Alan Groves (a player I never had the pleasure of watching play) but also an article listing the Top 50 Football League Players (in the naive hope of finding 1 Latics player in there).

Well as you would expect not a single Latics player made the final top 50. However at the bottom of each page of the said article was a list fo a few players, not quite good enough to make the top 50, but still worth a mention.

Imagine my surprise to find in amongst the "Best of the Rest" a Latics player.

"Dean Brill

Oldham, 24, Goalkeeper

Brill has been just that saving The Latics from an even poorer season." (direct quote from the magazine)

I have been to a few of the home games this season with Brill playing in net in all of them.

Have I missed something really big that FourFourTwo has seen, or is this yet again lazy journalism that has read into the hype of a player (he did come to Oldham with the reputation of being a good young keeper) rather than actually watching the player themselves?

Now I am to understand he did have a run of a few games at some point in the season where he was ok, but he has arguably been at fault for a lot of our goals, bearing in mind he would not get as much stick if goals were being scored at the other end.

For those interested former Latics players that made the article were:

Best of the Rest = Calvin Zola, Jean Paul Kalala

44. Lee Hughes

35. Richie Wellens

27. Keiren Westwood

(Alan Groves article is very good and I would reccomend going getting the magazine for it)

Bloody hell, I normally have a reasonable amout of respect for 442's opinions... however although Brill isnt anywhere near as bad as some make out, to have him anywhere near that list is just ridiculous.

Quick question - although you mention Richie Wellens quite rightly being included in the list, you forget to mention Danny W...? Surely this is some mistake? If Richie is 35, then surely casper should be nuzzled in there 34 or above? or is there some sort of seperate uber-list?

Edited by BigfinLatic

Bloody hell, I normally have a reasonable amout of respect for 442's opinions... however although Brill isnt anywhere near as bad as some make out, to have him anywhere near that list is just ridiculous.

Quick question - although you mention Richie Wellens quite rightly being included in the list, you forget to mention Danny W...? Surely this is some mistake? If Richie is 35, then surely casper should be nuzzled in there 34 or above? or is there some sort of seperate uber-list?

Danny W?

If you mean Kasper Schmeichel he's in at no. 47

I did forget to mention that the top 50 were voted for by fans, however it does not say the same for best of the rest.

But unless Luton fans or all the players who Brill has gifted goals to have voted for him then it surely must be the Journo's sticking him in.

Danny W?

I did forget to mention that the top 50 were voted for by fans, however it does not say the same for best of the rest.

But unless Luton fans or all the players who Brill has gifted goals to have voted for him then it surely must be the Journo's sticking him in.

Or the fact he gifted at least 1 if not 2 goals (can't remember) against Swindon at home and Swindon are sponsored by.... you've guessed it FourFourTwo. I wonder if they had done a MVP for each team if Gregan would have won it (the whole thing not just us)- as without him we would be virtually down.

I wonder if they had done a MVP for each team if Gregan would have won it (the whole thing not just us)- as without him we would be virtually down.

I was a little dissapointed that he didn't manage to make the "Best of the Rest", especially considering the likes of Kalala and even the Trannies Ian Goodison had made that list :ranting: .

Stand out player of the season for Latics with Pawel close behind

Danny W?

:lol:

:whoosh:

As you are new I will let you off... but just to reitterate, it has been previously established (by the foremost thinkers on theis board) that Danny 'Casper' Whitaker is clearly a better footballer than Richie Wellens.