Olympic False Start Rule

False Start Rule  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Is the false start rule as described below fair or stoopid.

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't know

Here's how I understand the rule on false starts.

The person responsible for the second false start is automatically disqualified, regardless whether they were responsible for the first.

You might have done nothing wrong in the first place, but you're on a final warning because someone else did. Stoopid in my book.

That's, um, random.

Potentially unfair to the second culprit, but not stupid because it seeks to avoid numerous false starts.

P.S. Your poll is, er, stupid. :unsure:

But say that someone was really good at starting on the B of the Bang. They'd do a false start deliberately first time round and anger all the other contestants, who would then be more likely either to make a mistake second time round, or to start slowly.

If you got disqualified from the competition for the second offence after someone behaved like that, you could, in my book, consider yourself hard done by.

Just a thought is all.

This poll isn't accurate now- any false start means the runner is disqualified (although if it was during a sponsored event- i.e. not a major championship- and that runner happened to be Usain Bolt I can see it being ignored).

This poll isn't accurate now- any false start means the runner is disqualified (although if it was during a sponsored event- i.e. not a major championship- and that runner happened to be Usain Bolt I can see it being ignored).

That's not the only reason the poll isn't accurate :wink:

So with Bolt, you'd basically have a situation where anyone gets disqualified for a transgression apart from him. You could say that he's able to make up the rules as he goes along, whilst letting himself off lightly. Bejesus.

That's not the only reason the poll isn't accurate :wink:

So with Bolt, you'd basically have a situation where anyone gets disqualified for a transgression apart from him. You could say that he's able to make up the rules as he goes along, whilst letting himself off lightly. Bejesus.

No in the sponsored race meetings I can't see it happening to any of the decent runners because they have been paid to race there in order to get the crowds in and the organisers will be a bit peed off if they then get disqualified. In the major championships they will chuck them out though.