Interesting Interview with PD

DICKOV AT HOME AT 'PROPER FOOTBALL CLUB'

Inexperienced boss likes the way the Latics are run

DICKOV: Happy to be at Oldham

By Greg Gobere, 31/07/2010

PLAYER-MANAGER Paul Dickov is the fifth man to take the helm at Oldham in 16 months.

And a 12-month rolling contract suggests the board are, understandably, cautious of the 37-year-old who has never managed before.

Yet the former Manchester City striker already feels at home in his new surroundings.

Money may have made the set-up at Eastlands almost unrecognisable to the one Dickov walked into 14 years ago, but life at Boundary Park has hardly changed.

Dickov explained: "One of the questions I'm always asked is why I chose Oldham - I regard it as a proper football club.

"There are still clubs that are run well in the Premier League but this club is run the old-fashioned way that I remember.

"There is no one here who thinks they are bigger than they are already, from the chairman to the admin staff.

"When I was in my early teens going for trials this is what I remember football being all about. Humble people working with working class people who don't need to pay through the nose to support their club.

"You tend to get that in the lower leagues. Even aside from the tickets, the cost of Premier League football is too much so I would gladly welcome to Oldham any Manchester City or Manchester United fans who are feeling the pinch."

No matter how hard he tries to resist, though, Dickov still cannot help having a gripe about the obstructive influence cash flow has on his role.

But his problem is not the constraints a water-tight board has placed on him, it is instead coming from players who are deluded about their worth and unaware of the fragile state football lower league football is in.

He lamented: "I've only been in the job a short space of time but the financial aspect of it all has hit me the hardest. You're on the strictest budgets here and some of the things that players ask for in terms of salaries is ludicrous.

"Of course, I want my hard-working players to earn as much as they can but when you're at in a League One club like Oldham, out of contract and seriously short of other options, how can you ask for a salary of £3,000-£5,000 a week? But it happens.

"It's frustrating because during my entire career I've seen players who've had more talent in my little finger than I had in my entire body but some players you see just don't have the right attitude anymore.

"I won't tolerate that at all at my club. These players need to recognise just how lucky they are to play football for a living."

And then there are the rival clubs who try to earn exorbitant amounts from simply LOANING players.

Dickov went on: "I of course have to speak to clubs about loaning players but then you're hit with a lot of clubs who want large loan fees. I'm not asking for players for nothing but when you have to cover all of their wages on top of that it can be a real struggle.

"It comes down to the same problem; you want to see the money the Premier League clubs get from TV and other sources filter down in the football league more.

"Six weeks into the job I realised that things just don't happen that way. But all managers in my position will tell you the same thing.

"But I believe good coaching can counteract the imbalance of money at times. You can't read too much into our 3-0 win at Bolton last week but the hat trick from our lad Tom Eaves shows that we are doing something right."

Dickov confesses that seeing him take to the field will probably be a rarity. But he has no problem leading by example for the benefit of his fans if need be.

He added: "I don't think the Premiership has necessarily lost touch with the fans. I think at every level in the game you have to show that you're willing to fight for your club and if fans see that at any club in the country they will be happy.

"It's something that repeatedly try to get through to my lads and no matter what level I manage at in the game I will always maintain that. Paying to see football isn't cheap especially at the top so you have to give something back."