2011 Ernie Cooksey Memorial Golf Day

Factor 50, the Oldham based fundraising group for the Malignant Melanoma research team at The Christie, have now arranged next years Ernie Cooksey memorial trophy.

It will once again be held at Manchester golf club on Friday 22nd July 2011 and entry is £200 per team of 4.

This years event was a fantastic day won by a team led by ex Latics player Keith Hicks who will be returning to defend the trophy.

I know some people have already expressed an interest before we even arranged a date, anyone else who wishes to enter a team can mail me at andyworthington.factor50@googlemail.com or reply here with contact details. Once we have entry forms to post out I will be in touch.

We also have a Charity Sports Evening in association with Rochdale Town FC, who's kit Factor 50 sponsor, coming up on Saturday 13th November 2010 at Mayfield Sports Centre, Castleton tickets are £20 for dinner plus special guest speakers for tickets you can call Gill on 07930 375360 or Mark on 07727 163695

Cheers

Andy Worthington

Maybe this should be pinned? as it is for a very good charitable cause.

If any of the mods see fit to do so I would be extremely grateful.

People who know me know i'm a Latics fan of over 40 years standing having first had the 'Tics inflicted on me in 1968.

We set up prior to Ernie becoming ill, Factor 50 was founded when a friend, Jon, was informed he was terminal with melanoma in autumn 2007, he passed away 6 weeks before Ernie aged 30. My niece, who is also 30, suffers from the condition, she has just had her 5 year check up last week, luckily her condition was caught early so she has now been placed under her own supervision.

Since we came into being we have been contacted by many people who's lives have been touched by melanoma, losing loved ones and friends to the disease, wanting to help fundraise. The common thread is the overwhelming need to find a successful treatment to stop others having to endure what they have gone through, it's humbling to meet these people and see the determination they have to help reach that goal. I was at a fundraising dinner on Saturday organised by someone who had lost their partner to the disease which raised over £4,000 for the team at The Christie.

The other thing that has been striking has been the ages of people affected, all young, melanoma is the fastest rising incidence of cancer in the under 35 age group. There is currently no effective treatment for advanced melanoma, what is available may buy you time but that's it.

We are funding a trial at The Christie that has shown promising results in America. Our fundraising has allowed the team to bring it to the research facility at The Christie where they have modified it to make it melanoma specific. It has proven successful under laboratory conditions and the next step is clinical trials on patients, this takes time and money.

We have come a long way in a short time but, I guess we are merely at the end of the beginning.

Any help anyone can be in supporting the events we run will take us further down the road to hopefully finding a successful treatment for the condition, so any golfers who fancy a great day out on a fantastic course we'd love to see you.

Finally a very special mention to the club who are graciously allowing us to take a bucket collection at the turnstiles for the Tranmere home game on March 26th.

Thanks

Andy Worthington

www.factor50.org.uk