Chopra Gambling

I used to partake in a little bit of arbritage.

Betting across different bookies, covering all outcomes, to guarantee a profit.

I turned over £1m a year for a couple of years on a number of credit cards, before they all introduced fees for gambling transactions (still got over 20,000 Airmiles left to show for it, and banked some significant cashbacks, £2k off a new Corsa for Mrs o4u, Goldfish vouchers etc along the way).

Made £8k a year profit, in additional to the card loyalty things, at its peak. Also got a "valued customer" trip to the Scottish Open Golf from Ladbrokes.

Eventually they all got wise to me. Some bookies bar me and the rest limit me to a maximum bet of around £50. So it's not worth spending the time on these days.

Good while it lasted though.

I used to partake in a little bit of arbritage.

Betting across different bookies, covering all outcomes, to guarantee a profit.

I turned over £1m a year for a couple of years on a number of credit cards, before they all introduced fees for gambling transactions (still got over 20,000 Airmiles left to show for it, and banked some significant cashbacks, £2k off a new Corsa for Mrs o4u, Goldfish vouchers etc along the way).

Made £8k a year profit, in additional to the card loyalty things, at its peak. Also got a "valued customer" trip to the Scottish Open Golf from Ladbrokes.

Eventually they all got wise to me. Some bookies bar me and the rest limit me to a maximum bet of around £50. So it's not worth spending the time on these days.

Good while it lasted though.

A lad i work with used to work at Betfred. In his words, "I got a job there because i wanted to pick up some tips on how to 'beat the bookie', and the only thing i learned was that you can't." They can spot patterns a mile away and anyone who's a half-decent tipster gets limits on their account.

£8,000 a year on a £1 million turnover is...peanuts. I take it in arbitrage that any outcome results in you winning?

You got it.

Tennis was my main earner.

Bet £600 on player A at 4/6 with bookie Y: if it comes in you get £1,000 back

Bet £381 on player B at 13/8 with bookie Z: if it comes in you get £1,000 back.

Total stake £981. Return £1,000 whoever wins.

30 minutes a night seeking out the odds and placing the bets ... quite a useful tax free top up to income on the back of a hobby. Shame I can't still do it :grin: .