simpson willing to take a pay cut for perm deal at latics

Great to have him on board.

But let's not get too excited about the "less pay" thing.

Huddersfield were going to release him at the end of the season. He would have been looking for another club at that stage and would have had to take a pay cut anyway.

All this does is bring that pay cut forwards, and I'm sure Huddersfield will be paying him off with the difference between what they are contracted to pay him and what we're paying him between now and June - so he's no worse off until the end of the season anyway.

(*NB I've not seen any of the paperwork so could be talking complete tosh, but I believe this is how it usually works and cite Feeney as an example).

Great to have him on board.

But let's not get too excited about the "less pay" thing.

Huddersfield were going to release him at the end of the season. He would have been looking for another club at that stage and would have had to take a pay cut anyway.

All this does is bring that pay cut forwards, and I'm sure Huddersfield will be paying him off with the difference between what they are contracted to pay him and what we're paying him between now and June - so he's no worse off until the end of the season anyway.

(*NB I've not seen any of the paperwork so could be talking complete tosh, but I believe this is how it usually works and cite Feeney as an example).

Unless the both sides decide to tear up the contract and the player leaves on free. This sometimes happens when another club want him and protracted negotiation over pay-off can only delay it, or when the other club takes over the remaining pay.