I guess i'm first back. Well I didn't actually feel the performance was that bad, we matched them really and played the better football in the first half without really creating anything. They on the other hand played very simple but effective, got it wide and tried to get balls in which almost caught us out when M'voto was off getting his head bandaged. Second half, derbyshire went off with a bad back apparently and Smith came on. We started ok, truth be told I didn't think they could handle Smith's height and strength and he made a few nice flick ons that we should have made more of. 1st goal for them, an absolute disaster from us. Byrne and someone else (Montano maybe) hesitated letting the ball drop in our box from a corner but fortunately it fell to Byrne - danger over you might think. Byrne then played a lazy and completely unnecessary pass under very little pressure out of our 6 yard box straight to one of their lads around 18 yards out, he took a couple of touches and crossed to the unmarked garner at the back post. Second goal again we had the chance to put it out of play or just hoof it clear but we didn't deal with a ball down near the corner and they crossed (great ball I should add) to again and unmarked Garner at the back post. Jose Baxter then hit the post with a superb effort from the edge of the area and we had a couple of decent chances we should have done better with. 3 goal I actually can't remember, sorry about that the referee had probably just finished doing something idiotic/unbelievable/calamitous/all three.

So on to the referee, I actually don't think I've ever seen anything as baffling as this man. It was just unexplainable. By the end of the game we had 4 yellows to Carlisle's 0. One of them was a push in the back by M'Voto on their striker (who actually seemed to go down holding his head for some reason then get up immediately once M'Voto had got the card) which was a bit of a strange booking for how innocuous it was. Furman got booked for something presumably off the ball (having already let 2 of theirs get away with warnings for tackles where he'd played an advantage - On the subject of advantages we twice got them in situations where it benefited us in no way whatsoever and resulted in us losing the ball immediately). Grounds got booked for asking why he gave a goalkick when it was clearly a corner. Warbara got booked for shirt pulling. Meanwhile their right back chopped Montano down in the first half, probably the only bad tackle in the entire game and got nothing. Their centre back went straight through the back of Smith getting nothing of the ball and leaving Smith in a heap on the floor to which he not only didn't book anyone, he actually gave a drop ball which we had to contest. When we got given the penalty, he placed the ball on the spot then counted FROM THE PENALTY SPOT 12 yards to the goal line. I don't think I have ever seen that happen even in a Sunday league game. There were several times when he acted like a spiteful 10 year old, where he would miss a pretty clear foul on an Oldham player then as one of ours complained to him he would give a free kick the opposite way for seemingly no reason. By the end I think many like myself were beyond angry and actually just found it pretty funny really, I would go as far as saying the strangest refereeing performance i've ever seen.

Edited by LeylandLatic

A fair summary. The goals we gave away were poor and the majority of the 2nd half was disappointing after we showed a few bursts of invention in the 1st. A few didn't perform and Montano just looked sluggish and under the weather - just not himself. No surprise that he's been struggling with illness this week. Derbyshire going off is always going to be a big miss although Smith carried on his recent improvement and Sutherland showed promise. The referee didn't lose us the game but, as LeylandLatic says, it was an odd display. It was impossible to say what was going to happen after each time the whistle was blown. Also, I couldn't find a chippy and had to settle for a poor Burger King. Sad times.

Yeah I agree, I don't think he really made any decisions that affected the outcome of the game. All the goals we conceded were from our own failings, I actually can;t see us conceding a softer goal than the first one for the rest of the decade it was that bad. The game went much as I expected, we lacked support for the front men in the first half but played some nice stuff then 2nd half we seemed to get more men forward and around the strikers but conceding that ridiculous goal scuppered our plans.

Also, £1.80 for a bottle of water - WHAT!?