Before we start getting negative

I posted a few weeks ago that Ive enjoyed watching Latics this season better than for years. I still say that. We've got players of ability and with good attitudes, as well as a philosophy of play that is positive .

At the same time I'm a realist. Most players at this level are inconsistently good. They obviously have talent otherwise they wouldn't be professional footballers but either through application, coaching, or something else, they don't produce top notch performances every game. And getting eleven players to do so at the same time seems as difficult as herding cats. So a manager coach has to address the assorted egos, personalities, insecuritues, and levels of ambition in his squad as a work in progress. Especially when lots arrive in a short time. So this season was bound to be one of one step forward, one sideways, one back. Hopefully as it goes on there'll be more forward.

LJ is also learning. The three most succesful managers in my time have been Jack Rowley, Jimmy Frizzell, and Joe Royle. Rowley operated in a different era but shared one key attribute with Royle. The ability to spot gems released by other clubs - Lister, Williams, Ledger, Whitaker. Big Joe showed his class in this with in many cases. I believe that LJ has the same talent and that, as he learns how to get the best out of his disparate bunch, they will grow in terms of consistency and output.

Football nowadays is in danger of bowing to the shrill calls for instant success, where people are either good or crap. Sorry, but I'll never sign up to that in any walk of life. Latics are , I really believe, in the early stages of climbing out of a pretty stagnant era. And when you climb , you'll slip at times. But this is a positive time and fans have a part to play in building momentum.

I'd love us to win every game but it's not going to happen. This is a season to raise the level of base camp. That's achievable with our squad and manager - they're not perfect but it's still a better time than for seasons.

Nice Pete

Cracking post

I posted a few weeks ago that Ive enjoyed watching Latics this season better than for years. I still say that. We've got players of ability and with good attitudes, as well as a philosophy of play that is positive .

At the same time I'm a realist. Most players at this level are inconsistently good. They obviously have talent otherwise they wouldn't be professional footballers but either through application, coaching, or something else, they don't produce top notch performances every game. And getting eleven players to do so at the same time seems as difficult as herding cats. So a manager coach has to address the assorted egos, personalities, insecuritues, and levels of ambition in his squad as a work in progress. Especially when lots arrive in a short time. So this season was bound to be one of one step forward, one sideways, one back. Hopefully as it goes on there'll be more forward.

LJ is also learning. The three most succesful managers in my time have been Jack Rowley, Jimmy Frizzell, and Joe Royle. Rowley operated in a different era but shared one key attribute with Royle. The ability to spot gems released by other clubs - Lister, Williams, Ledger, Whitaker. Big Joe showed his class in this with in many cases. I believe that LJ has the same talent and that, as he learns how to get the best out of his disparate bunch, they will grow in terms of consistency and output.

Football nowadays is in danger of bowing to the shrill calls for instant success, where people are either good or crap. Sorry, but I'll never sign up to that in any walk of life. Latics are , I really believe, in the early stages of climbing out of a pretty stagnant era. And when you climb , you'll slip at times. But this is a positive time and fans have a part to play in building momentum.

I'd love us to win every game but it's not going to happen. This is a season to raise the level of base camp. That's achievable with our squad and manager - they're not perfect but it's still a better time than for seasons.

Absolutely spot on.

He needs some time to do it and unfortunately there are several idiots out there already wanting the manager sacked!

Absolutely spot on.

He needs some time to do it and unfortunately there are several idiots out there already wanting the manager sacked!

There were people that weren't prepared to even give him a chance, and that was before his backside had managed warm the chair up! Wasn't referring to you here btw...