Attack

Personally I would build the team around Dayton in a central position behind the strikers as he can be almost unplayable in there. That along with Philliskirk's touch and awareness would mean we can actually create through the middle. You can't play Dayton centrally in a 2 so I'd go with wing backs who are clever on the ball and can retain possession.

Rachubka

Kusunga Tarky Grounds

Winchester Mills

Smith Weso

Dayton

Philliskirk McDonald

This only works if Mills signs for the rest of the season, but every single player is comfortable in possession. The 3 centre halfs give Smith & Weso license to push further up the pitch along with the option for one of them to hold and cover when we push Winchester and Mills right up when dominating teams.

You'd hope LJ is 'cultured' enough to deviate from 4-4-2

Personally I would build the team around Dayton in a central position behind the strikers as he can be almost unplayable in there. That along with Philliskirk's touch and awareness would mean we can actually create through the middle. You can't play Dayton centrally in a 2 so I'd go with wing backs who are clever on the ball and can retain possession.

Rachubka

Kusunga Tarky Grounds

Winchester Mills

Smith Weso

Dayton

Philliskirk McDonald

This only works if Mills signs for the rest of the season, but every single player is comfortable in possession. The 3 centre halfs give Smith & Weso license to push further up the pitch along with the option for one of them to hold and cover when we push Winchester and Mills right up when dominating teams.

You'd hope LJ is 'cultured' enough to deviate from 4-4-2

I did suggest 3 at the back recently on another thread as that back 3 are all really centre backs, Lanzoni too but he would get my vote, when fit, playing right wing back and I think that we should then contemplate replacing Wes with either Sid or CM to make it a 3-3-3-1 as Dayton & Philly are very adaptable. Flexibility is vital!

Must admit I like the look of that. I feel you have you have to have two in front of someone in 'the hole' to create enough.

Dayton has been best in this area but usually when Mac plays as he is our best striker in terms of holding it up and playing off. They linked up well against Orient for example - some of our build up play and short passing in that game as superb!

Without Macca we've struggled - we have to use Rooney as a poacher, with someone with him that's able to do the linking. We've tried Kirk and Danny P in this way but been outmuscled. JCH has made an impact as he doesn't have that problem. We have also tried the other two as the poacher but that hadn't worked out consistently either. Those two still need to bulk up and be a bit more savvy. Heard Kusunga played very well at Bristol but I'm tempted by Winchester die to his crossing ability. Despite having plenty of wingers, our crossing hasn't been the best. If we give them licence to cut in, compensating for the deeper midfield two and playing a passing game not hoof, we need full-backs that can advance and whip a good ball in!