the turning of the screw

Wasn't at the Bradford game so can't comment, but the bury game saw definite improvement, you could see where shez was going with his tactics, but was let down with the personnel.

Tonight however was easily the best performance of the season. We looked energetic, movement on and off the ball, forced plenty of corners and crosses looked dangerous. Forte and lafferty looked good combining down the left while the addition of Gerrard really gave the defence confidence and it showed with the amount of work coleman had to do. He was well protected.

That to me didn't look like a team cut adrift at the bottom of the table. It looked like a team who has something to play for at the right end.

Don't Get me wrong we certainly ain't world beaters and there are areas to work on. Poleon looked like boy lost especially in the first half. Nothing stuck. And a couple of misplaced passes were felt individually on the nerves by some players, but the screw is definitely turning.

Tactically for me shez hasn't put a foot wrong yet. In fact the only gripe I can have is I'd like to see Murphy start but keep the upward trend going and we can do this. Will be a bloody miracle but we can do this

Agree. We looked solid st the back with cover and some muscle from midfield, then quick feet and creativity from Winchester and Palmer, and still a presence up top with two strikers. We suddenly look a team.

Shrews couldn't break our shape and looked lost after the opening 15.

Poleon headed air, and Murphy could have scored. It could have been easier.

But the most encouraging thing for me was the way we saw it out. A to-be relegated team usually panics and looks nervous, and concedes, but our clearances and possession looked controlled and savvy, and everyone was also putting their bodies on the line - spurred on by Gerrard - to keep out the long balls into the box at the end.

Now we need to do it at home.

Shrewsbury were poor but we played a part in making them look poor, and frustrating their players to the point where they looked lost - much like we have done for so much this season.