Having lived here in Oz for the last 8 years, adjusting to the standard of football, as bad as Athletic's was when I left, has been nothing short of torture.

There had to be an alternative......do I follow the Green and Gold arrogance that is the cricket team? Like hell I do. Even watching the Queensland Bulls was bad enough. Lancashire and England forever. Do I watch the Reds Rugby Union? nope, I go for the Crusaders (NZ). Never really liked rugby League, although I do now have an interest with the Gold Coast Titans and have a season ticket as the ground is 20 minutes away from home. As a Queenslander, I do passionately go for QLD in the State of Origin series which is the only sporting event that ever really generates any passion around here.

Before the Titans arrived, it all changed when I went to my first live AFL game at the Gabba.

I had watched AFL on Channel 4 a few years before I left, and whilst I didnt really understand it, I enjoyed the cut and thrust. I picked the Brisbane Bears as my team, for obvious reasons, who then went on to Merge with Melbourne team Fitzroy to become the Brisbane Lions.

Watching it live is simply awesome. You can see all the positional play, the ball can go in any direction and you get to climb over your opponent and crash into him legally. The amount of ex pats who have taken to the game is unbelievable and the inevitable banter that has now crept into the game (not to mention the songs) as a result of the ex-pats, is generating a terrific atmosphere.

I am a full member at the Gabba and try to get to some of the MCG games too.

All physicality has now dropped out of football and the premier league is becoming boring as it is between only 4 teams. I still watch it, but no where near as much.

AFL Footy on the other hand is probably the only sport where you can king hit a guy on the pitch in the first minute, breaking your opponents jaw, and still stay on the field for the remainder of the game.

Awesome. I am afraid of the response I will get with this next statement, but AFL, in my opinion, is the greatest game in the world.

Come on guys, let me know who your teams are.

ABC (Anyone but Collingwood)

GO LIONS

Edited by L1onheart

I seriously toyed with watching the sport over the past couple of years but have mostly given it up due to time constraints - Apart from football I've also fully embraced Baseball - I'd have to give up my job and my loved ones to fit another one in. I do still catch the occasional game - if you give it time it really draws you in, I think it's a great sport.

If I lived out there I'd definitely go along. I love the way Melbourne is just swamped by AFL - so many clubs and some really great crowds.

The team I attached my banner to are Kangaroos or North Melbourne or whatever they're calling themselves at the moment. Plucky underdogs playing in blue. They were seriously flirting with the idea of moving to Queensland werent they? Not sure if thats a complete dead duck now or not.

I'm not sure I could go along with the 'greatest game in the world' claim though - you've gone native mate!

AFL Footy on the other hand is probably the only sport where you can king hit a guy on the pitch in the first minute, breaking your opponents jaw, and still stay on the field for the remainder of the game.

GO LIONS

Totally agree with what you are saying, and I have to say i do love watching it on TV - never had the opportunity to watch it live but would love to, to see the whole pitch must be awesome.... its fun just watching it for the touch judges alone!

As for your statement as to punching people and staying on the pitch, and that it is the greatest game in the world... for me there is only one sport that fits both those criteria - Ice Hockey - which is genuinely the best sport in the world. B)

I also have this problem with any sport that means you get more than 1 point for scoring - I just ultimately cant get it... which is why Rugby, baseball, basketball or any of that rubbish will never be for me.... theres just something too satisfying as a player and supporter about scoring 'a goal' ... which then cant be beaten by somewone scoring more, or additionally from 'a bit futher out' ... bobbins...

• 1 month later...
I also have this problem with any sport that means you get more than 1 point for scoring - I just ultimately cant get it... which is why Rugby, baseball, basketball or any of that rubbish will never be for me.... theres just something too satisfying as a player and supporter about scoring 'a goal' ... which then cant be beaten by somewone scoring more, or additionally from 'a bit futher out' ... bobbins...

Sorry to bring up an old post, but I felt compelled to reply in an AFL thread!

Can anyone think of another sport where you get a point for being in the right general area with your shot? "Now it wasn't a goal, but we can see what you were trying to do, so you can have 1 point" :wink:

It also rewards teams for finishing bottom of the ladder by giving them first pick of the up and coming stars. Once teams accept they are not going to make the top eight, it is who can play the worst to finish bottom and get the number 1 draft pick!

Then you look at the entire AFL salary cap for all players combined being less than Lionel Messi's weekly wage, you will see why it doesn't attract those natural sportsman that could play pro in a range of sports. (Apart from Shane Warne, he is an AFL reject! That probably had more to do with him being a tubby sack of lard :lol: )

I live in AFL country, but I cannot stand the sport. I can watch most sports, except golf, but with AFL it has to be an excellent game for my brain not to give up and go down the boozer.

Admittedly, I know naff all about AFL. I couldnt even tell you what shape the goal posts are (do they have goal posts?) BUT my sister emigrated to Brisbane (well, some daft sounding town near there, Buderim I think) and she bought me a brisbane lions top for my birthday. I had to ask what sport they played. but its cool, and i like it, so im a brisbane lions fan.