good signing or not

Carlisle have signed experienced midfielder Graham Kavanagh on loan for a month from Sunderland.

Cumbrians boss John Ward has moved to bolster his options with Paul Thirlwell and Chris Lumsdon on the sidelines through injury.

Kavanagh has racked up over 500 appearances during his career which has taken in stints with Middlesbrough, Stoke, Cardiff, Wigan, Sunderland and Sheffield Wednesday.

The Republic of Ireland international joined the Black Cats for £500,000 from Wigan two years ago, but has never been able to secure a regular place in Roy Keane's plans.

Ward is delighted to have landed Kavanagh and is set to include him in Carlisle's squad for Saturday's League One clash with MK Dons.

Experience

He told the club's official website: "Graham is a very good player, and he also comes with experience and knowledge.

"He can help us on the pitch with the way that he can play the game and he can also bring that experience in to it as well. Having those qualities is going to be very helpful to me, the team and to the football club in general.

"We've had a look at him recently and he scored the winner in the reserve game on Wednesday, and we know what he can do.

"He's actually one of those players that you would sign without seeing him, because he brings so much in to a team. He gives us cover for our injured players, of course, and I think he has the type of character that will help to give everybody a lift.

"It's a move that I think the supporters will like, and I'm sure they will look forward to seeing him in a Carlisle shirt."

personally i think its a good signing for them what about you

The only question is, why? If he's not fitting in at Sunderland, surely a decent Championship team would take him.

Depends on a few things really. He might not be fitting in at Sunderland, but then again he might not be good enough (Sunderland have improved their squad a lot over the summer). If he lives in a nice part of County Durham/Tyne&Wear and his family are settled then aside from Hartlepool (and even then depending on where he lives) Carlisle are the nearest team that would take him (and there aren't too many Championship teams around). Its about an hour and ten minutes from Durham to Carlisle (and its a nice drive too), its closer than Leeds, Donnie, Sheffield, etc. He's a good player and will provide experience for Carlisle, shame for us though as he always seems to have an influence against us (including one of the worst handball decisions I've seen).