Know your Saints!

I've only recently got into NFL and after picking a side to follow - the New Orleans Saints, I soon realised that they were playing at Wembley. With too short a notice for me to get down there, I'll have to settle for second best and watch it on Sky - it's nachos, hot cheese and beer for me next Sunday in front of the TV!

But there may be one or two on here who are making the trip down to watch the game, so I'd like to count down to the event with some Saints info.

Coming all the way from the Black and Gold Country, and playing out of the Louisiana Superdome, the New Orleans Saints are perennial under achievers. They have never won the Lombardi, never won the Conference, and only won the Divisionals three times since their franchise started in 1967. Their long suffering fans are sometimes called the WHODATS! after their chant - "Who dat say de gonna beat dem Saints? Who dat? Who dat?"

Recently expectations have been high due to the amount of quality the Saints have in their side - long time fans feel that this side will disintegrate if glory is not achieved soon.

As a taster of the players we're likely to see at Wembley here is my top six N'awlins players, and I'll showcase one every day...

Number One.

deuce.jpg

Deuce McAllister

RB

Deuce is not the force he used to be after two knee operations, but he can still carry the ball and keep the chains moving when needed. However if New Orleans have been guilty of anything this season, it's not getting the short yards. An explosive player when on form and in the zone...

>>>>> CAREER STATS <<<<<

Deuce-McAllister_1087881.jpg

went last year and will be off there agin on sunday wiv harry dowds green shirt alangroves perm ands navadont support either of these two teams although would prefer the chargers as they in the afc and my team the bears in the nFC so just in cases it comes down to plaay off places would always want the afC to win in this situation

Continuing the countdown to the NFL Wembley game, we move on to the second in a series of six New Orleans Saints players featured in our celebration...

Number Two

scottfujita092107vr2.jpg

Scott Fujita

LB

After two seasons with the Saints, Fujita is firmly established as one of the teams top defenders, a consistent performer who immediately emerged as a leader of the unit and was voted captain by his teammates. He is a constant factor in every scheme as the versatile Fujita rarely leaves the field, both dropping into coverage and filling gaps against the run with equal effectiveness.

>>>>> CAREER STATS <<<<<

>>>>> FUJITA INTERVIEW <<<<<

p1_fujita.jpg

My third choice of notable current Saints players is an ex-Tennessee player who in his final year ranked fourth in the US with an average of 99.85 yards per game receiving, and ranked 24th nationally with 5.46 receptions per game...

Number Three

robertmeachempictures20eo3.jpg

Robert Meachem

WR

Touted as one of the fastest men in the sport when he was drafted as a first pick by the Saints, he missed his Rookie season with knee surgery and rehab. He's slightly out of favour with Payton at the moment, as he uses Colston as the 3rd receiver but with Reggie Bush out, Sean Payton will have to look elsewhere for that injection of pace - Meachem could set Wembley alight with his skill...

>>>>>> PLAYER STATS <<<<<<<

>>>>>> MEACHEM HIGHLIGHT REEL <<<<<<

RobertMeachem.jpg

My next Saint is in his first year with N'awlins after four seasons with the Jets. With most of his 2007 season on Injured Reserve with knee surgery, Saints saw the potential this linebacker had from 2006, and traded him for a 2008 R4 pick plus a conditional 2009 pick -

Welcome to Area 51....

Number Four

large29vilma1ir6.jpg

Jonathan Vilma

LB

Vilma has added much needed support to the Saints defence, and takes the pressure off Fujita hitting those running backs. So far #51 has weighed in with 63 tackles with 44 solo, and 19 assists (no sacks). Unfortunately shutting down the running plays mean the Saints opposition operates more passes - something that the Saints struggle to shut down...

>>>> CAREER STATS <<<<

>>>> VILMA WEBSITE <<<<

>>>> VILMA VIDEO <<<<

l3318463.jpg

Two slots left. Two players to pick....

This guy was selected in the 7th round of the 2006 NFL draft from Hofstra University. He was suited up immediately and featured in the starting lineup for week 1 of that season, becoming one of the few seventh round picks ever to start week 1 for their team. This is the Truth.

Number Five

nfl_ap_colston_300s.jpg

Marques Colston

WR

With 1038 receiving yards in his first season, Colston shared the Offense Rookie of the Year with Vince Young in 2006 - and he managed to obtain more votes than the Saints hot property Reggie Bush. A season later he smashed the Saints record for receptions beating Joe Horn, and checked in with 1202 yards receiving (8). As Saints' number one wide receiver, Marques Colston holds the NFL record for most receptions in a player's first two seasons with 168. Impressive.

40627274233e9b0054bwy8.jpg

>>>> CAREER STATS <<<<

>>>> COLSTON HIGHLIGHTS <<<<

Last player. WHO DAT?

This guy was the first pick in the second round for none other than the San Diego Chargers, but barely played in his rookie year - however in his second year of NFL experience, he threw for 3284 yards and 14 touchdowns. He became a Saint in 2006...

Number Six

drewbrees120106ky2.jpg

Drew Brees

QB

On January 21, 2007, Brees led the Saints to the franchise's first NFC Championship Game against the Chicago Bears. Though he completed 27 of 49 passes for 354 yards, and two touchdowns, Brees committed three costly turnovers. The Saints eventually lost to the Bears, 39-14. Despite not reaching the Super Bowl, the season was seen as a success for the team that was still suffering from the effects of Hurricane Katrina and finished last in the division a year ago at 3-13...

drewbreescelebratesjl2.jpg

>>>> CAREER STATS <<<<

>>>> BREES TRIBUTE REEL <<<<