Painting the wrong picture....?

The opening paragraph on the fishul's report goes as follows...

If Athletic dominated the second period at Bristol in midweek, they cranked it up another notch by absolutely blitzing the Robins in the first 20 minutes. A barrage of chances came and went as John Sheridan's side laid siege to the home goal, but a breakthrough wouldn't come and one of the most against-the-run-of-play goals you will ever see threw an industrial-sized spanner in the works

Sooo, I go to check the stats for the game and it goes as follows...

Swindon Oldham

Shots Off Target: 4 4

Shots On Target: 4 2

Now that certainly doesn't paint the picture of what Stu Voses review is trying to say.

You get no points in this league in trying to play pretty football and looking threatening. You get points in this league by putting the ball in the onion bag, if you pardon the cliché.

We're far too soft, especially on the road. When it comes to a team who wants the ball more in midfield we invariably come second best, and that's been a common theme for quite a while now.

We simply should have picked up 4 points from the last two away games to keep up the magic 2 points a game ratio but again, nice pretty football comes out second best to tenatious tackling in midfield in a will to command the middle. It's still early days yet, but as Carlisle have already proved... if you let the rot set in you'll slip right down the table rapidly and will need a helluva run to get back in the mix.

6 points from the next two home games is the absolute minimum we need. I want to see players going into 50/50 challenges like their lives depend on it.

The stats say it wasn't a game full of efforts on goal. I think they showed we had a raft of corners early on, maybe that's what the report mean't. I look forward to the views of the fans that went. Maybe all will become clear. I see Sheridan was not happy.

If defence is a problem, I can't see where the changes can be made, apart from Lomax returning at left back. It's a pity Byrne is injured, because I really liked the look of the line-up for the Leicester match - 'till he got injured and fooked it up.

Everyone i spoke to said the same, we were all over them in the first half. Just because we didnt have many shots dosent mean we didnt blitzed them. We might have had shots blocked, crosses cleared away etcetc.

Maybe, instead of Stu not painting the picture the stats do as you said, perhaps the stats dont reflect the game!!??

Shoddy defending and a lack of any killer instinct let us down again

Edited by kellys_discopants

Everyone i spoke to said the same, we were all over them in the first half. Just because we didnt have many shots dosent mean we didnt blitzed them. We might have had shots blocked, crosses cleared away etcetc.

Shoddy defending and a lack of any killer instinct let us down again.

zaccording to gmr's reporter the first have was a travesty of justice....said we was much the brighter team and was at least trying to win,where as swindon didnt look interested....

then two goals against the run of play....i turned it off at half time somewhat disgruntled at again not taking our chances...

shez is now on fishal saying players are in a comfort zone,and expect to play every game,and that changes are imminant.....i hope he sets the standard and does it this time.

i think if we lose midweek then the alarm bells may start jingling a bit,but i would say again we have shot ourself in the foot with the stay aways....they wont come back again for a while now we started losing.

Maybe, instead of Stu not painting the picture the stats do as you said, perhaps the stats dont reflect the game!!??

Shoddy defending and a lack of any killer instinct let us down again

Maybe, but crosses and pressure doesn't get you out of this division. Being clinical in front of goal does, and for me we dont have nearly enough shots at goal. Never went today, but I was at Bristol on Tuesday and again, we battered at their door but we really should have made their keeper work more by shooting a lot more often.

Swindon Oldham

Now that certainly doesn't paint the picture of what Stu Voses review is trying to say.

You get no points in this league in trying to play pretty football and looking threatening. You get points in this league by putting the ball in the onion bag, if you pardon the cliché.

We're far too soft, especially on the road. When it comes to a team who wants the ball more in midfield we invariably come second best, and that's been a common theme for quite a while now.

We simply should have picked up 4 points from the last two away games to keep up the magic 2 points a game ratio but again, nice pretty football comes out second best to tenatious tackling in midfield in a will to command the middle. It's still early days yet, but as Carlisle have already proved... if you let the rot set in you'll slip right down the table rapidly and will need a helluva run to get back in the mix.

6 points from the next two home games is the absolute minimum we need. I want to see players going into 50/50 challenges like their lives depend on it.

Surely that should be, "Painting a Vulgar Picture"? I bet you're a "sickening wreck" tonight, FMS. ;) I know I am!!!

Edited by ThaiLatic

Maybe, but crosses and pressure doesn't get you out of this division. Being clinical in front of goal does, and for me we dont have nearly enough shots at goal. Never went today, but I was at Bristol on Tuesday and again, we battered at their door but we really should have made their keeper work more by shooting a lot more often.

We were on top and looked half decent but the final ball was really poor.

Their goal came through really bad defending and was so easy for them to take then our heads just dropped.

The mistakes we made at Bristol on Tuesday were exactly the same today.

Anyone who has a corner or set piece against us look certain to score we are awful at the back, and have looked shocking in defence from set pieces the past few games.

The mistakes we made at Bristol on Tuesday were exactly the same today.

Anyone who has a corner or set piece against us look certain to score we are awful at the back, and have looked shocking in defence from set pieces the past few games.

Yep totally agree with the corner thing, it`s one thing ive thought about nearly every Latics team,we just cant defend set-peices, or score them.

Yep totally agree with the corner thing, it`s one thing ive thought about nearly every Latics team,we just cant defend set-peices, or score them.

With corners especially I think a big part of the problem is crossley not commanding the box, or running out to catch or punch clear he sticks to his line. That coupled with the fact we always loose the second ball and we always look really flat footed, it really really fooks me off!

Swindon Oldham

You sound like spainboy. A reading of the stats vs a description of the first 15-20 mins from someone who was actually at the match. You actually think you can form a more accurate view from 12 selected figures that cover the whole 1st half? What a load of moaning nonsense

I know, was just sticking up for Stuart and his match report :grin:

Edited by kellys_discopants

You sound like spainboy. A reading of the stats vs a description of the first 15-20 mins from someone who was actually at the match. You actually think you can form a more accurate view from 12 selected figures that cover the whole 1st half? What a load of moaning nonsense

Just pointing out a clear difference between the match report and the actual chances we had on goal. Maybe a bit of frustration there but I'm certainly not on a spainboy style crusade in winding other people up.

At the end of the day the game looks very similar to Tuesday night (Which I was at) and the lessons we learnt on Tuesday night obviously weren't remedied. We look very nice at times moving forward, but have developed a clear lack of killer instinct in and around the penalty area. We have a striker in Lee Hughes who is about as deadly as you'll ever see at this level yet (and this is what I saw at Bristol) the ball was constantly played either up in the air to him or snuffed out by defenders. Very rarely was it put in an area where he can get a shot away on goal. And that goes for any of the other strikers right now.

It's a stark contrast to earlier in the season where we got plenty of strikes in on goal.

Swindon Oldham

Looking at the stats after 25 mins,they were something like....

7-1 on corners

68% persesion(never can spell that word)

I agree with you that if you don't score you don't win,but don't be harsh on Stu, he says it like he sees it...

3-1 on Tuesday night,put your houses on it(cause we are all gonna get reposessed anyway)