Who's switching on your town's Christmas lights?

Having spent the day in Oldham and read the rarely wrong Chron from back to front, I've discovered the closely guarded secret of who is to switch on Oldham's Christmas lights. You're probably expecting one of the many actors turned out by Oldham's renowned Theatre Workshop, somebody from Corrie or Holyoaks. Or Paul Scholes, or even a Latics player or one of the Management team, or Chaddy the Owl....Oh no, sorry we've already heard that he's doing the honours in Chadderton.

So who could possibly be big enough to entice people out onf their cosy armchairs into the town centre at 5.20pm on Sunday. It would be unfair of me to keep you in suspense any longer. The switch is going to be flicked by..........................

Noddy!

Bloody Noddy - he's not even a celebrity among the tiny tots who are not allowed out at that time of day!

I understand that when Noddy’s best friend heard the news, he couldn’t believe his Big Ears, Mr Wobbly Man went for a lie down and Mr Plod wet himself with laughter, as he went off looking for people driving two cars at the same time.

This must be the official confirmation that the Oldham authorities are content with the reputation of being like Toytown.

Don't knock it, he did have one of the greatest Christmas Hits ever .. Is he bringing the rest of Slade as well.

• 2 weeks later...
We have had (Glossop)
  • Paul Warhurst
  • Alan Wright &
  • Ricky Hatton recently.........
But this year i think its Scott Wright (The Python - Stripper in Coronation Street so i'm told)..... :blink:

Think i'll stay in the pub!

Well, just heard that according to Glossops (rarely read) Chronicle we have no celebs. left in Glossop (or none that we can afford) :disappointed:

(What....not even the python. :shock:)

Anyway they are now asking "if anyone knows any celebs who would be willing to turn up and turn the towns lights on to get in touch"

So..... any suggestions? There will be free mince pies and mulled wine.. :)

Well, just heard that according to Glossops (rarely read) Chronicle we have no celebs. left in Glossop (or none that we can afford) :disappointed:

Anyway they are now asking "if anyone knows any celebs who would be willing to turn up and turn the towns lights on to get in touch"

Noddy will be the cheap option as Oldham was looking for spending cuts.

Well dont forget, im still down at Chadderton tomorrow for the lights switch on. They have got some christmas stalls on in the market and i will be around Asda from about 5:30pm causing mischief as per usual, then at 6pm i will be turning on the lights in the precinct.

Only strange thing about the whole thing is that they told me we will be turning on the lights using a "magic wand" :shock: I questioned this and said it didnt seem right, but that was all they could get hold of, so i offered to help them out. This has got to be a first when the person swithching on the lights has to bring his own giant plunger. :huh: How bizarre eh? :blink:

Got to say though, im really looking forward to it. :grin:

Are any of The Bodines still knocking about? I'm sure that they'd be delighted to be asked :)

Are any of The Bodines still knocking about? I'm sure that they'd be delighted to be asked :)

Theres a blast from the past.....wonder where they are now?

Decent outfit if my memory serves me rightly.

I have seen Shaun Ryder & Bez out in Glossop totally out of it in The Norfolk Arms......strong beer methinks. :blink:

Or there is Wayne Fontana (Mindbenders fame) he still knocks about Glossop setting fire to the odd car......

===========================================================