Is describing a javelin champion as a "spear chucker" racist?

opinions4u

Spear Chucking  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Is calling a javelin champion a "spear chucker" racist?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't be ridiculous
    • Absolutely. Please deliver my copy of the Guardian daily

I am a man who likes to call a spear a spear.

Hang on, did I get that right? :wink:

I think what we can say is, that you might see how there could be a bit of misunderstanding. I'm sure most of recall the term being used in as a racist term, and may well indeed have used it or laughed at it as uneducated youngsters (I'm sure I did). Language changes, and sometimes there is confusion in the meantime...

I do agree that there could be some misunderstanding but I also think that there is actually a reverse type of racism going on by the offendees (which really pisses me off). Jim R calls Tessa a Spear Chucker, and the offendees straight label her based on her skin colour.

Several years ago I used to work in a crappy motorway service restaurant where the cooks were rather tiny. We were having a bad day and one particular bloke complained and asked why his meal was taking so long. He then asked if it had to do with him being black. Personally I believe that he was being racist for accusing me of giving him bad service based purely on the colour of his skin. I responded to the fool that he should take a look around the restaurant and he would see that we were not discriminating against anyone when it came to the bad service that we offered. He actually did me a favour, I got most of the people in the restaurant on my side after that.

Several years ago I used to work in a crappy motorway service restaurant where the cooks were rather tiny. We were having a bad day and one particular bloke complained and asked why his meal was taking so long. He then asked if it had to do with him being black. Personally I believe that he was being racist for accusing me of giving him bad service based purely on the colour of his skin. I responded to the fool that he should take a look around the restaurant and he would see that we were not discriminating against anyone when it came to the bad service that we offered. He actually did me a favour, I got most of the people in the restaurant on my side after that.

Fantastic. I can't wait to copy this tactic!