Is describing a javelin champion as a "spear chucker" racist?

opinions4u

Spear Chucking  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Is calling a javelin champion a "spear chucker" racist?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't be ridiculous
    • Absolutely. Please deliver my copy of the Guardian daily

Funny you should say this, I was listening to Fighting Talk on 5Live (I think the podcast is still available) and they were talking about why there aren't any (or very few) black darts players. The words spear chuckers was raised and mocked by the panel (of which some were black).

Perhaps the Nazi in the Blues Brothers was onto something when he pointed out that the Jew is using black muscle against us?

Well, that aside...

I am exceptionally suspicious of the timing of this. Paul Dacre, Editor of the Daily Hate Mail, has been making a huge deal over the finding against him in the Max Mosely case. I suspect he is pushing the boundaries here to make a point. Nasty bastard.

This story prompted the question.

The world has gone mad.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10...ar-chucker.html

Sometimes words and phrases acquire grim overtones. When they do so, we should be careful about using them. Spearchuckers is clearly racist term, whether used to describe a non-white or white javelin thrower.

Sometimes words and phrases acquire grim overtones. When they do so, we should be careful about using them. Spearchuckers is clearly racist term, whether used to describe a non-white or white javelin thrower.

Then I presume you feel not having the ability to 'chuck a spear' is preferential to being able to?

Then I presume you feel not having the ability to 'chuck a spear' is preferential to being able to?

Let's see...

First up, it's not a spear, it's a javelin, hence the name of the event: The Javelin. Like The Hammer, The Discus and so on.

Secondly, people participating in the javelin do not "chuck" it, they throw it, unless you are Kelly Southerton, in which case you roll it.

There are options, is what I'm saying, in the language. Tons of them. Choices galore. We should therefore conclude that anyone who describes a javelin thrower as a "spear chucker" is doing that little racist, passive-aggressive thing of using the one description that could be termed racist, and running for cover with the old line, "it's not racist", which is pathetic, and just not good enough at all.

It was probably an unwise choice of phrase, but I doubt Jim "Lincoln Cathedral's Gargoyle" Rosenthal meant anything by it. I suppose if a wildlife presenter saw a black man chasing after a small furry animal with floppy ears through thick woodland and shouted, "look at that jungle-bunny go," then eyebrows would be raised, but I don't think it helps the debate if people are looking for offence when there actually isn't any. There are plenty of people quite openly doing ill in the world without trying to dig out those who most likely aren't.

Let's see...

First up, it's not a spear, it's a javelin, hence the name of the event: The Javelin. Like The Hammer, The Discus and so on.

Secondly, people participating in the javelin do not "chuck" it, they throw it, unless you are Kelly Southerton, in which case you roll it.

There are options, is what I'm saying, in the language. Tons of them. Choices galore. We should therefore conclude that anyone who describes a javelin thrower as a "spear chucker" is doing that little racist, passive-aggressive thing of using the one description that could be termed racist, and running for cover with the old line, "it's not racist", which is pathetic, and just not good enough at all.

let me guess,

you are a university educated idiot.

not everybody is pc

thought as much.

let me guess,

geography, no wait,

got to be sociology

Seeing as you've probably exhausted your stock of big words, I'll tell you. Philosophy, history and politics, and an MA in history.

I suppose you're right. Using the word "spearchucker" to describe a black javelin thrower is just fine. Absolutely great. Brilliant.

I suggest it is a leading question. Calling a javelin thrower a spear chucker isnt racist, that much is obvious.

We all know though that calling a black person a spear chucker is racist. Now Tessa Sanderson is a)a javelin thrower and b)black which creates room for this kind of argument. He obviously had no intention of saying something racist but at the end of the day he did and I dare say he's squirming about it.

Let's see...

I might be wrong, but I would guess that 'The Javelin' derived from spear throwing.

Not that I feel strongly about the matter, but I fail to see how calling a black javelin thrower a 'spear chucker' implies you feel your race is superior to theirs. It may be a nod towards their ancestry, but seeing as how there is no shame/embarrasment/disgrace in that link I don't see any offence. You're taking the very worst case scenario from the comment. Had he referred to a black sprinter as a 'spear chucker' that could be different - it could imply the black race is primitive. Despite this I know people in todays society would grasp the opportunity to take it as offensive so he should have avoided saying it, if only for his own sake.

But Sanderson's former rival, Fatima Whitbread, defended Rosenthal.

She said that the phrase 'spear chucker' was common in athletic circles and did not carry any racist connotations.

Therefore it cannot be racist end of.

Go and shout it at the annual glodwick games..it might not get through :grin:

A Geordie on visit to London decides to have a drink in pub he is passing. Once at the bar he tells the barman that he would like a bottle of Newcastle Brown Ale.

“Sorry” the barman replies, “We only sell Whitbread Bitter”.

“Oh, I'll have a pint o' that then” and he pulled up a stool to the bar, As the barman hands him his pint, the Geordie decides that he needs to go to the toilet,

“I need a pee. Watch me pint will ya and divn’t let any wun tooch it, or I'll break their neck. I hate people touchin' me pint”

“Sure”, said the barman.

The Geordie has only been gone for about a minute when a large, black woman who had been sat in the corner, comes over to the pint, picks it up, farts in it, places it back down and goes back to her seat without a care in the world. The barman just stood there in total disbelief.

Just then, in walks the Geordie, still doing up his fly, just as he is about to pick up the pint he stops and frowns, “Sumwuns ‘ad me pint!”

The barman stutters nervously. “I cannot lie. That black woman over there just farted in it”.

The Geordie slammed the drink down and marched over to the woman, “’Scuse me luv, you fart in ma Whitbread?”

“No” she replied “I'm Tessa Sanderson”

re: Sanderson & Whitbread........dont they hate each others guts?

Doesn’t actually matter whether they hate each other or not as Tessa wasn’t the one who actually complained. The people who complained were thick general public types who probably found it easier to link the spear chucking to African tribal warriors rather than the fact that she actually chucked a spear like implement for a living.

So they are actually spear type implement chuckers.

I am a man who likes to call a spear a spear.

Hang on, did I get that right? :wink:

I think what we can say is, that you might see how there could be a bit of misunderstanding. I'm sure most of recall the term being used in as a racist term, and may well indeed have used it or laughed at it as uneducated youngsters (I'm sure I did). Language changes, and sometimes there is confusion in the meantime...