• Danny Jones
    • Chris Taylor
    • Mark Allott
    • Danny Whitaker
    • Lee Hughes
    • Darren Byfield
    • Andy Liddell

Strange but fascinating game.

Good TEAM performance, felt we could and should have won the game if we had a better, more consistent, less whistle-happy referee.

Good Points

Thought the defence was solid and mobile both before and after the Jones incident (Keep it the same from here on). Although Eardley needs to learn not to rush in to tackles because he got turned too easily on several occasions.

For a devout non-Liddell fan, I thought he had an excellent game and his best I've seen since the start of the season (before any comments, I don't get to see Tuesday night games).

Fleming, can't think of a negative comment. Very Good.

Allott. Worked his socks both his defensively and offensively.

Hughes. OUTSTANDING

Bad Points

Byfield. The lad made space on so many occasions and nearly every time did nothing with it. Would still prefer O'Grady or Allesandra. Seen more effort from Davies this season than this lad.

Whittaker. Good attacking but largely anonymous in defence. Left Allott to cover all the area in front of defence.

Strange but fascinating game.

Good TEAM performance, felt we could and should have won the game if we had a better, more consistent, less whistle-happy referee.

Good Points

Thought the defence was solid and mobile both before and after the Jones incident (Keep it the same from here on). Although Eardley needs to learn not to rush in to tackles because he got turned too easily on several occasions.

For a devout non-Liddell fan, I thought he had an excellent game and his best I've seen since the start of the season (before any comments, I don't get to see Tuesday night games).

Fleming, can't think of a negative comment. Very Good.

Allott. Worked his socks both his defensively and offensively.

Hughes. OUTSTANDING

Bad Points

Byfield. The lad made space on so many occasions and nearly every time did nothing with it. Would still prefer O'Grady or Allesandra. Seen more effort from Davies this season than this lad.

Whittaker. Good attacking but largely anonymous in defence. Left Allott to cover all the area in front of defence.

Are you for real? He was excellent.

Have to totally agree. You can see byfields touch coming back, and some of his hold up play today was simply excellent. He seems to also be one of the few players in our team who can spot the runs of hughesy.... didnt come off a couple of times for him, but him and hughesy looks as if they are really starting to click... even today when although it was a great team performance there was still desperately little service to the strikers...

From some of the other points above... thought Lids was amazingly average, again, he didnt do anything wrong, but occasionally looked like he was in slow motion. Whits again did nothing wrong, however is a shadow of his early season form. The only bone of contention is as hinted above is still nothing rally is being created for our strikers from the midfield. taylor is on fire but normally creates chances for himself.

Great oerformance by all of the back four, and ratters best game for a while... Stammy didnt make too many mistakes and Ruuubes was amazing, brilliant performance... pity the best striker in the league banged in two goals again for us... and was utterly brilliant, otherwise Mr hazell would have been my MOM...

Nope. Hughes showed him up on how a forward should play. Byfield found space, didn't control the ball well enough for me and didn't look like he was going to score. No signs of a partnerhip developing. Waste of money if we sign him!

I'm wondering why Rovers aren't playing him in their precarious situation!

Guest oa_exile
Nope. Hughes showed him up on how a forward should play. Byfield found space, didn't control the ball well enough for me and didn't look like he was going to score. No signs of a partnerhip developing. Waste of money if we sign him!

I'm wondering why Rovers aren't playing him in their precarious situation!

TBH Mike, I dont think that Shez has found the right partner for Hughes to date, how many partners has he had this season to now. :wink:

With regards to your last sentence, you have been going to football long enough to know that sometimes players just "dont fit", maybe that is the situation with Byfield at Donny ?

TBH Mike, I dont think that Shez has found the right partner for Hughes to date, how many partners has he had this season to now. :wink:

With regards to your last sentence, you have been going to football long enough to know that sometimes players just "dont fit", maybe that is the situation with Byfield at Donny ?

Fair point, but his track record of moving clubs after 1 season or so isn't a good indicator.

Guest oa_exile
Fair point, but his track record of moving clubs after 1 season or so isn't a good indicator.

Also a fair point BUT he has indicated that he would like to sign for us and Shez has had enough time to evaluate him on and off the pitch .....so let's see what the boss thinks :)

IMO he is the best of the bunch we have at the club at the moment, Alessandra needs at least another season to push for a "regular" spot and O'Grady is just not good enough, in my humble opinion of course ^_^

As I said elsewhere, Byfield looks to me like the player O’Grady should be trying to become. Gives us something different as a partner for Hughesy than Alessandra does, young Lewis links more with the midfield while Byfield plays further upfield and more with Hughes.

Hughes misses out for me as I missed his first goal whilst going for my second hypothermia-busting pie. He has nobody to blame but himself. I’m going for Fleming, who’s made me nervous in the little I’d seen of him to date but who stepped into a high pressure game in horrible conditions and did very well.

i think we have the perfect partner for hughes but he's onloan at stockport! everytime they played together last season they were emense and they looked like they both had goals in them. i still feel if they both stayed injury free last season we would have made the play offs. just hope when davies comes back they can forge a promotion winning partnership if none of them are flogged