On this day in 1966: Latics 2 Hammers 2

It's the reason i support Latics them 2 games

I still have both programmes

So it's my birthday :grin: 3 POINTS on sat as a present please

I remember the 2-2 well. Pitch was a mdbath with a 1ft square oiece of ice which Burketts clearance landed on.

Scary thing is its 42 years ago......now where did they go ???

Man of match was one Bobby Moore who was awesome defensively that day

Jim Standen also played cricket for Lancs I think

and came on as sub for England in at least one test match. Deliberate mistake...it was Reg Blore.

That was the team at the start of the Bates era .

Two cracking matches. West Ham were probably the best team in the country at that point, but we fought back brilliantly in the first match after that freak goal (wonder what modern message-boarders would have had to say about that?) and missing a penalty all in the first 15 minutes. Went down for the replay and after Pennington’s goal (direct from a free-kick, the only goal he ever scored for the Latics, I think) West Ham did not get their winner until very late. We had a really good team then but a poor manager - with the right man, we would have gone up. On the other hand, that would have meant Ken Bates staying on with the club....

I remember the 2-2 well. Pitch was a mdbath with a 1ft square oiece of ice which Burketts clearance landed on.

Scary thing is its 42 years ago......now where did they go ???

Man of match was one Bobby Moore who was awesome defensively that day

Jim Standen also played cricket for Lancs I think

and came on as sub for England in at least one test match. Deliberate mistake...it was Reg Blore.

That was the team at the start of the Bates era .

Funniest incident in that game was when Alan Lawson dropped John "Budgie" Byrne in the centre cirlcle. Lawson got up first leaving Byrne sat on his arse complaining to the ref. So Lawson promply stood on Byrne's hand.

Classic Lawson.

It's the reason i support Latics them 2 games

I still have both programmes

So it's my birthday :grin: 3 POINTS on sat as a present please

My birthday is in July. So I have decided that I should have a second birthday for footballing reasons and I have designated it as being tommrow.

3 points Please

I have a 8mm cine film of that game somewhere my dad was ill at the time and my grandad took a cine film from the Chaddy End. It looks awesome with the Rochdale Road end full got two of the goals as well.

Come on Mr.G, Get it copied onto DVD then shared with your OWTB Brethren!

Funniest incident in that game was when Alan Lawson dropped John "Budgie" Byrne in the centre cirlcle. Lawson got up first leaving Byrne sat on his arse complaining to the ref. So Lawson promply stood on Byrne's hand.

Classic Lawson.

Lawson was the hardest tackler I ever saw in a Latics shirt, the wildest probably George Sievwright, although Neil Pointon didn't shirk many.

Remember that 2-2 very well. It was my last game I saw at Boundary park before I moved down to live in Kent. There's a pic in one of the Latics books (Team From a Town of Chimneys maybe?) of Johnny Bollands in track suit trousers in a balletic (or is balLatic) pose as the ball is on its way in from Burkett's clearance. There are 3 other pics from the game in "Pine Villa & Oldham Athletic - A 100 Year Journey".