Why are you either Shez in or Shez out?

Why do people presume that if you say something bad about Sheridan then you automatically want him out? The thing that is most frustrating me at the moment is that we are not performing to the standard we know we can. And that fault lies at Sheridan's door, no ifs or buts. He picks the team, and (should) be telling them how to play. From the games I have seen recently we are missing something and there are the beginnings of cliques beginning to form with the players. Now you can shout all you want that we had chances yesterday to win the game. But the cold hard truth is, that if we want to succeed in this league we should be converting chances at home against sides like Swindon.

I for one don't want Shez out (yet) but at the moment he is doing a very poor job in my opinion. For him to come out and say that we performed well yesterday compounds the fact. So, if you can't come on message boards like this and give your opinion without being told to stop "being a fan" is lunacy. I was shouting until the very last minute yesterday for the team. I don't believe in booing and I don't believe in shouting abuse at the players it doesn't do any good. I don't much care if Sheridan has a go back at fans who shout and moan, although it isn't very professional. What I do feel I can do is comment on a message board if I feel the manger is getting it wrong. If that makes me a bad fan in your eyes, then I'm not going to loose any sleep over it. I know I'm right and I know you're kidding yourselves. We're not going up this season, and we' won't be going up next season. Sheridan has some tough thinking to do and has got to make some changes. We started the season of like a steam train and we are slowly but surely becoming derailed. It is down to him to sort this and I hope he can.

You make a lot of good points. I've got no problem with people criticising Shez for the mistakes (and he does make them, along with the many positives he has), but there's so many people who come to the conclusion that Shez should be sacked for relatively minor faults that it devalues the idea that sacking a manager is the worst case scenario, which I believe it should be if we are to succeed long term.

Good thread. Some honest opinions and a bit of reality, hopefully.

It's fairly simple for me. Since C**** M**** took over we've averaged a new manager every eighteen months to two years. I think, in hindsight, some of those were bad appointments and absolutely had to go when they did (I'm thinking Wadsworth and Talbot). Others could have been given longer. One thing that is unquestionable is that changing manager so regularly does NOT bring success and is in fact a very expensive way of chasing quick success without achieving it. What we've needed more than anything was continuity and stability, to give some kind of foundation to build on.

Sheridan has his faults, he has alot to learn too, but I think he is learning and I'm certain he has taken this club further in his time in charge than any other recent manager. Whether that is far enough to deliver promotion remains to be seen, but I think he deserves until the end of this season at the very least to show both his potential and that of the squad.

Good thread. Some honest opinions and a bit of reality, hopefully.

It's fairly simple for me. Since C**** M**** took over we've averaged a new manager every eighteen months to two years. I think, in hindsight, some of those were bad appointments and absolutely had to go when they did (I'm thinking Wadsworth and Talbot). Others could have been given longer. One thing that is unquestionable is that changing manager so regularly does NOT bring success and is in fact a very expensive way of chasing quick success without achieving it. What we've needed more than anything was continuity and stability, to give some kind of foundation to build on.

Sheridan has his faults, he has alot to learn too, but I think he is learning and I'm certain he has taken this club further in his time in charge than any other recent manager. Whether that is far enough to deliver promotion remains to be seen, but I think he deserves until the end of this season at the very least to show both his potential and that of the squad.

Good post. And at the end of the day, if we were to get rid of Shez, who would we replace him with? Another average manager who's had minor success in a lower division, most probably. We're best off sticking with what we've got, and hoping he can turn it around.

Sheridan In- becaus he is still learning him self. and there arnt that many young managers out there with as much experience as him. He is getting better and better as he learns and will be a top manager for someone one day.

If he goes it could have an imediate impact but only in the short term. Then it would be start again time and the new manager saying 'GIVE ME 3 YEARS AND ILL HAVE US IN THE CHAMPIONSHIP' same old same old. Started again.

Shez is also able to attrack players better than some managers.

As an outsider, given your league position, and being in with a shout of auto promotion with 20ish games left, how could anyone want Sheridan out ?

:lol:

A good point well put, and a sensible outsider view... however, it doesnt normally seem so logical when its your own club.

I am strangely becoming more pro-shez since my post cheltenham-ish tirade. For a start Captain slow has been replaced by smalley, which has doused my wrath, which at least shows he has learnt something.

Think a lot depends on tomorrow. Kilkenny or Gleeson will do very nicely. If we dont sign a cenral midfielder then my head could be in my hands again very shortly.

Why do people presume that if you say something bad about Sheridan then you automatically want him out? The thing that is most frustrating me at the moment is that we are not performing to the standard we know we can. And that fault lies at Sheridan's door, no ifs or buts. He picks the team, and (should) be telling them how to play. From the games I have seen recently we are missing something and there are the beginnings of cliques beginning to form with the players. Now you can shout all you want that we had chances yesterday to win the game. But the cold hard truth is, that if we want to succeed in this league we should be converting chances at home against sides like Swindon.

I for one don't want Shez out (yet) but at the moment he is doing a very poor job in my opinion. For him to come out and say that we performed well yesterday compounds the fact. So, if you can't come on message boards like this and give your opinion without being told to stop "being a fan" is lunacy. I was shouting until the very last minute yesterday for the team. I don't believe in booing and I don't believe in shouting abuse at the players it doesn't do any good. I don't much care if Sheridan has a go back at fans who shout and moan, although it isn't very professional. What I do feel I can do is comment on a message board if I feel the manger is getting it wrong. If that makes me a bad fan in your eyes, then I'm not going to loose any sleep over it. I know I'm right and I know you're kidding yourselves. We're not going up this season, and we' won't be going up next season. Sheridan has some tough thinking to do and has got to make some changes. We started the season of like a steam train and we are slowly but surely becoming derailed. It is down to him to sort this and I hope he can.

spot on

nuff said

i am not calling for sheridans head (yet) but if he were to leave the club tomorrow, i would wish him all the best for future and thand him for his 10 years of service, but most certainly would not shed any tears

"I for one don't want Shez out (yet) but at the moment he is doing a very poor job in my opinion"

For one thing, saying "I'm not shez out (yet)" which many people are doing is not unlike the people who say "i'm not a racist but..." or "no offence, but...."

If you're not "shez out" then why say anything about that? Why not just concentrate on what you think he's doing wrong rather than taint it with a pre-fix that slants things and shows what you are moving towards?

I'm not a shez outer (in case anyone had doubts) and I think that getting rid would put us back at least 5 years unless we can get wenger. well, ok maybe not wenger, but shez is by my reckoning one of the best managers in this league, but he's still only 3 years in and anyone who's managed staff will tell you that is inexperienced. especially in a world like football where the range of personalities and attitudes is so wide - not like an office or an engineering works where the intelligence level is reasonably even between a group of 15-20 staff.

On the other side, can people who are pro-shez stop telling people to go to the scummers. it's really stupid. You should tell them to go to Crewe and see how it feels to support them at the moment or some other similar sized team in the same league - there's so many who must be very disappointed over the past 3 seasons compared to us.

Edited by real

Really good sensible post mate.

I am Shez in because I believe changing managers all the time is not good for the club as we have seen over the past ten years or so. I believe he has shown he can get us playing good football the right way and he is keen on bringing youth players into the squad. I also dont think we have much of a chance of getting a better manager in if Shez were to go and if he does go it will be the same old same old when the new man doesnt live up to the hype, so he will get sacked and so on and so on.

I am starting to question a few of his decisions though in regards to team selection and transfers and his use of subs has been pretty appalling throughout his reign. He is however a young manager learning his trade, he will make mistakes, but if he shows he can learn from them, i feel he could still make a very good manager.

"I for one don't want Shez out (yet) but at the moment he is doing a very poor job in my opinion"

For one thing, saying "I'm not shez out (yet)" which many people are doing is not unlike the people who say "i'm not a racist but..." or "no offence, but...."

If you're not "shez out" then why say anything about that? Why not just concentrate on what you think he's doing wrong rather than taint it with a pre-fix that slants things and shows what you are moving towards?

I tried to make it clear that I was not a Shez outter because that was the name of my post "why are you either Shez in or out". I read a lot on here last night where if you posted negative comments then you where automatically tagged a Shez outter. Why can't you criticise someone without wanting them sacked? As the county fan said why would you sack a manager when you are in the play off places? It just doesn't make any sense. But and it is a big but, people are losing faith in his decisions and tactics. He needs to sort it quickly in my opinion. TTA have given Shez a lot of support this season, I don't want it to go to waste. If it does go wrong this season, I can't see them giving as much next season.

Oh and our fans shouldn't tell fellow fans to go and watch anyone else, including Crewe. There aren't enough of us to start with.

Edited by CD's Orange Heels

Really good sensible post mate.

I am Shez in because I believe changing managers all the time is not good for the club as we have seen over the past ten years or so. I believe he has shown he can get us playing good football the right way and he is keen on bringing youth players into the squad. I also dont think we have much of a chance of getting a better manager in if Shez were to go and if he does go it will be the same old same old when the new man doesnt live up to the hype, so he will get sacked and so on and so on.

I am starting to question a few of his decisions though in regards to team selection and transfers and his use of subs has been pretty appalling throughout his reign. He is however a young manager learning his trade, he will make mistakes, but if he shows he can learn from them, i feel he could still make a very good manager.

Three years on he is still making the same mistakes - that is a sign of someone who doesn't learn from them.

I tried to make it clear that I was not a Shez outter because that was the name of my post "why are you either Shez in or out". I read a lot on here last night where if you posted negative comments then you where automatically tagged a Shez outter. Why can't you criticise someone without wanting them sacked? As the county fan said why would you sack a manager when you are in the play off places? It just doesn't make any sense. But and it is a big but, people are losing faith in his decisions and tactics. He needs to sort it quickly in my opinion. TTA have given Shez a lot of support this season, I don't want it to go to waste. If it does go wrong this season, I can't see them giving as much next season.

Oh and our fans shouldn't tell fellow fans to go and watch anyone else, including Crewe. There aren't enough of us to start with.

it's the "(yet)" bit.

It says so much about where people see things going.

"I'm not 50 (yet)" makes sense for me, given that unless something unlikely happens, I most probably will be.

"I'm not a millionaire (yet)" doesn't, because unless something unlikely happens, I most probably won't be.

The "(yet)" bit essentially means that you think it's something that is highly likely to happen and therefore extends a negative view of the ftute and of shez in general.

Shez makes mistakes. All managers do. Shez makes more than red nose (who some seek to compare him to negatively) - but for god's sake he's been at it for over 20 years at manure and had aberdeen before that! If people sought to compare him to others with 2 or 3 years experience, then maybe they'd have a valid point, but when people say "wenger would never say/do that", well, come on. It's ludicrous. given his experience and the budget he has he's doing a very good job imho. To get rid would be madness. people used to criticise Dowie for his poor substitutions. They used to say his training methods caused injuries.

If we were in danger of going down, or even had 2 or 3 bottom half finishes, well maybe, but 6th; 8th and now 6th as we speak?

As much as people like to trot out the "rose tinted specs" line, we all know that the grass is not always greener on the other side.

Three years on he is still making the same mistakes - that is a sign of someone who doesn't learn from them.

True i am starting to worry that he is not ever going to learn and improve, but wanting him out now is a massive over reaction IMO. We havent been that bad in his 3 seasons in charge. In fact it is consistantly the best we have done since we have dropped to this level. That surely must count for something. I also dont buy into this he isnt doing a good job because we have a good enough squad to get promoted, i see that as ill informed arrogance on the behalf of some of our fans, there are many other strong squads in this division. I think Shez has done fairly well on a smallish budget.

To be honest though I dont really care anymore, its pretty obvious if we dont get promoted the fans will drive him out rightly or wrongly and as its very unlikely we are going to get promoted because we dont have good enough players, he will be gone in the summer and we will start all over again, albeit on a smaller budget still.

it's the "(yet)" bit.

It says so much about where people see things going.

"I'm not 50 (yet)" makes sense for me, given that unless something unlikely happens, I most probably will be.

"I'm not a millionaire (yet)" doesn't, because unless something unlikely happens, I most probably won't be.

The "(yet)" bit essentially means that you think it's something that is highly likely to happen and therefore extends a negative view of the ftute and of shez in general.

Shez makes mistakes. All managers do. Shez makes more than red nose (who some seek to compare him to negatively) - but for god's sake he's been at it for over 20 years at manure and had aberdeen before that! If people sought to compare him to others with 2 or 3 years experience, then maybe they'd have a valid point, but when people say "wenger would never say/do that", well, come on. It's ludicrous. given his experience and the budget he has he's doing a very good job imho. To get rid would be madness. people used to criticise Dowie for his poor substitutions. They used to say his training methods caused injuries.

If we were in danger of going down, or even had 2 or 3 bottom half finishes, well maybe, but 6th; 8th and now 6th as we speak?

As much as people like to trot out the "rose tinted specs" line, we all know that the grass is not always greener on the other side.

Sorry. When I posted it I wondered if I should put if. At the moment though I can see it happening at the end of the season. New managers need to continuously improve. As said by other people he needs to start learning from his mistakes. I don't quite understand your reference to Taggart. Seems a weird comparison to draw.

My wife likes watching dancing on ice, but I don't yet.