Northern Soul

Decent article on Northern Soul on the Leicester 'Bentley's Roof' Fans' Site:

http://fansonline.net/leicestercity/article.php?id=211

If anyone fancies listening to one of the "good Northern Soul compilations being sold cheaply on online music sites" referred to in the article, I'm sure Johnny Punkster will be able to help you.

Keep the faith.

What I've found is it's best to be wary of a lot of Northern Soul compilations. Loads of them are on the whole poor cash-ins, but about 1 or 2 really great tracks and the rest just filler.

If you're fresh into Northern Soul, and you don't know where to start I recommend The Best Northern Soul All-Nighter....Ever. It's a brilliant introduction to the genre, although is likely to be snorted at by purists as it contains the biggest 'hits' (Hence the reason, as the purists tent to like it staying a hidden secret) and just about every one that's included on the linked Leicester website (Note: The first song is called Sliced Tomatoes and not Fried Tomatoes!). I spent quite a bit of money on a few lame compilations before it (which did contain some gems, but mostly baldy-recorded filler) and then got this which made me understand it a bit more.

It was a great movement, just like the Mod scene in the 60's, and the punk scene in the 70's. I wish I was about 20 years older sometimes just so I could actually be a part of it. There's a brilliant documentary on Youtube somewhere which was aired in the 70's at the peak of its boom which superbly encapsulates the bemusement of the old folk at the time, not being able to get their head round young teenage kids throwing talc on the floor and spinning around to old soul music.

One of the most charming things I've heard about the whole genre though, is quite a few of the artists who made what became the biggest 'hits' worked for the rest of their careers in low-paid uninspiring jobs, blissfully unaware hundreds, and even thousands of UK kids were dancing to them and considering them idols. Unbelievable.

If you're fresh into Northern Soul, and you don't know where to start I recommend The Best Northern Soul All-Nighter....Ever. It's a brilliant introduction to the genre, although is likely to be snorted at by purists as it contains the biggest 'hits' (Hence the reason, as the purists tent to like it staying a hidden secret) and just about every one that's included on the linked Leicester website (Note: The first song is called Sliced Tomatoes and not Fried Tomatoes!). I spent quite a bit of money on a few lame compilations before it (which did contain some gems, but mostly baldy-recorded filler) and then got this which made me understand it a bit more.

I'd agree with that recommendation as a starting point. I continue to buy compilations in the hope of uncovering a gem or two. I then tend to put my own cds together of the best tracks, which I occassionally DJ from (DJing off cds would also be snorted at by purists!). HMV have a few compilations in at the moment at £3, along with a load of cheap Motown cds. Bought 'Talcum Soul Vol 6' and 'Northern Soul Connoisseurs Vol 2' in Leicester on Saturday for £3 each. Never heard of any of the tracks on them (although I've probably heard a few while out) but worth a punt at that price. Beatin' Rhythm in Manchester (Tib Street?) has got a fantastic choice of Northern Soul cds.

• 2 years later...

The film ‘Northern Soul’ is still in production, hopefully for release next year.

Northern Soul

There was a feature on it in today’s BBC 1 ‘Breakfast’ programme around 9:00am.

Also on BBC Radio 2 today from 22:00–23:00 there is 'Dance Season: Too Darn Soulful', in which Pete Waterman examines what makes Northern Soul music so all-consuming for the devoted fan.

Keep the faith.