Oldham Boxer Fighting Soon

Hi guys,

Anybody out there a BOXING fan???

I love watching boxing and have latched onto an Oldham born professional, Craig Watson.

Craig "Da Hammer" Watson is the current Commonwealth Welterweight Champion with his last fight being an incredible eleven months ago when he out-pointed Matthew Hatton on the undercard of his brothers Ricky's "Homecoming" when he famously beat Lazcano last May at the City of Manchester Stadium.

Craig was managed back then by Frank Maloney but a fall-out led to his lengthy ring demise and has recently signed up with David "Hayemaker" Haye and will next fight on Saturday 11th April at the famous York Hall in Bethnal Green, London.

I am going to drive down to the fight on Saturday morning as Tics are away on Good Friday 10/04/09 to Carlisle and are at home to Crewe on Easter Monday 13/02/09.

If I was to hire a minibus, does anybody fancy sharing the costs by coming along and watching Craig take on local boy John O'Donnell and sing a few Tics songs for the Oldham boy. Tickets are £35. I am trying to sort out cheap/free accomodation for the saturday night then drive home on the Sunday morning, otherwise I will just take my car and have a couple of spare places.

I have bought a 12 foot by six foot St.George flag with "CRAIG WATSON" down the middle and "OAFC" split into the four white quadrants to show my support. The fight is promoted by Mick Hennessey Sports and could be shown on one of the ITV channels so we could get on telly.

Over to you guys

KTF

Hi guys,

Anybody out there a BOXING fan???

I love watching boxing and have latched onto an Oldham born professional, Craig Watson.

Craig "Da Hammer" Watson is the current Commonwealth Welterweight Champion with his last fight being an incredible eleven months ago when he out-pointed Matthew Hatton on the undercard of his brothers Ricky's "Homecoming" when he famously beat Lazcano last May at the City of Manchester Stadium.

Craig was managed back then by Frank Maloney but a fall-out led to his lengthy ring demise and has recently signed up with David "Hayemaker" Haye and will next fight on Saturday 11th April at the famous York Hall in Bethnal Green, London.

I am going to drive down to the fight on Saturday morning as Tics are away on Good Friday 10/04/09 to Carlisle and are at home to Crewe on Easter Monday 13/02/09.

If I was to hire a minibus, does anybody fancy sharing the costs by coming along and watching Craig take on local boy John O'Donnell and sing a few Tics songs for the Oldham boy. Tickets are £35. I am trying to sort out cheap/free accomodation for the saturday night then drive home on the Sunday morning, otherwise I will just take my car and have a couple of spare places.

I have bought a 12 foot by six foot St.George flag with "CRAIG WATSON" down the middle and "OAFC" split into the four white quadrants to show my support. The fight is promoted by Mick Hennessey Sports and could be shown on one of the ITV channels so we could get on telly.

Over to you guys

KTF

I thought Craig was from Manchester? Moston area.

EDIT: My mistake: he is indeed from Oldham! :blush:

Edited by ste1987

I have just spent the last two Friday evenings at Oldham Boxing Club, Derker doing what the trainer says are pretty easy fitness sessions....f**k me, I've never had a better/harder workout and I think I now understand about 1% of how hard those boxers must be....I won't slag any boxer off ever again - they work themselves extremely hard.

Would be good to see an Oldham lad make it in the boxing game.

He's from Failsworth and when he enters the ring is announced as being from "Manchester, England". When I saw him the one of the undercards on Sky, he had Man City coloured gloves on, so I assumed he was one of them. I therefore wanted the other guy to win.

If you are a boxing fan I take it that you have never wanted Ricky Hatton to win either, I believe he has a slight footballing preference to Man City.

This is about local boxing not football favourites. Craig has only been on Sky once and that was on the Hatton v Lazcano undercard in "The Homecoming" at the City Of Manchester Stadium. He fought Rickys brother, Mathew who is a dirty red scummer, so I take it that you were cheering the dirty red on to a unanimous points loss!!!! I suggest you stick to cheering on Tics and leave the boxing alone Mr McKenzie

If you are a boxing fan I take it that you have never wanted Ricky Hatton to win either, I believe he has a slight footballing preference to Man City.

This is about local boxing not football favourites. Craig has only been on Sky once and that was on the Hatton v Lazcano undercard in "The Homecoming" at the City Of Manchester Stadium. He fought Rickys brother, Mathew who is a dirty red scummer, so I take it that you were cheering the dirty red on to a unanimous points loss!!!! I suggest you stick to cheering on Tics and leave the boxing alone Mr McKenzie

"This is about local boxing not football favourites" aside from the fact that you get the name of a bloke who was announced as being from Manchester on a latics football flag, and you don't like Matthew Hatton because he is "a dirty red scummer".

Nice one :grin::grin::grin:

Craig is a bit of a red and Moston lad too.

He's had a decent enough career so far with his only defeat coming in Italy. Also knocked Khan down in the amateurs and there was the slowest count you're ever likely to see and Khan ended up winning on points. After that, Khan continued to call out Watson for a rematch as he wanted to show the knockdown was a fluke. Oddly in the last year or so, Khan's shouts seem to have disappeared. Odd that.