Reserves!

I would love the bright spark who thought up the idea of 'no need for reserve football' to now come on the OS and tell us either:

I got it wrong.

OR

B) I stand by my decision and here's why.

Will it happen?

Edited by mikejh45

I would love the bright spark who thought up the idea of 'no need for reserve football' to now come on the OS and tell us either:

I got it wrong.

OR

B) I stand by my decision and here's why.

Will it happen?

Why do you think the bright spark (Shez) has got a question to answer? At the moment we are sitting 5th in the division, have a nearly fully fit first team with a good balance of experience and youth and options if anyone gets injured in the future. When is the last time we could say that?

Edited by jimsleftfoot

But we also have players waiting in the wings who dont get the chance to show their metal? Lee, Stephens...... How many times in the past have players been rewarded for a good string of reserve performances with either a place on the bench or a run out in the firsts..... Training doesnt show a players real match qualities nor does it give them 'match fitness', which any player will tell u is important. No reserve games = no match fitness = no chance of breaking into the side due to a lack of said fitness......

I agree with what u say about us sitting 5th in the division but there are still 4 teams above us and i bet they all have reserve teams.

Edited by BlueJazzer

But we also have players waiting in the wings who dont get the chance to show their metal? Lee, Stephens...... How many times in the past have players been rewarded for a good string of reserve performances with either a place on the bench or a run out in the firsts..... Training doesnt show a players real match qualities nor does it give them 'match fitness', which any player will tell u is important. No reserve games = no match fitness = no chance of breaking into the side due to a lack of said fitness......

I agree with what u say about us sitting 5th in the division but there are still 4 teams above us and i bet they all have reserve teams.

the old chestnut again..

i think and stand by my comments that it was a bad idea....that said i fully understand why shez did it.

but there needed to be some kind of diplomatic approach to it and why it happened.

they scrapped it because the ressies side could only field trainees and scholars due to the monumental injury problems within the main team,which meant that most of the ressie players were drafted into the first team....once it became apparent that the physio brought in was great,then the reserve squad should of been left alone..those not playing in the first team this season would still be getting games and still be match fit if they needed to be called upon.

i know we can arrange a game as and when needed,but once every 3 weeks isnt good enough,hence when players do get brought in they look tired and jaded after 20 mins.

i fully expect the reserve team to be re-instated for next season.

the old chestnut again..

i think and stand by my comments that it was a bad idea....that said i fully understand why shez did it.

but there needed to be some kind of diplomatic approach to it and why it happened.

they scrapped it because the ressies side could only field trainees and scholars due to the monumental injury problems within the main team,which meant that most of the ressie players were drafted into the first team....once it became apparent that the physio brought in was great,then the reserve squad should of been left alone..those not playing in the first team this season would still be getting games and still be match fit if they needed to be called upon.

i know we can arrange a game as and when needed,but once every 3 weeks isnt good enough,hence when players do get brought in they look tired and jaded after 20 mins.

i fully expect the reserve team to be re-instated for next season.

Am I dreaming or did not the "abolished" reserves play again this week? Did Whitaker score or was it all a reverie? Did Stephens and Lee get a run-out and was Josh Bell in goal or is it all in my imagination? I have been watching Zeitgeist too long, obviously.

:cardinal:

Am I dreaming or did not the "abolished" reserves play again this week? Did Whitaker score or was it all a reverie? Did Stephens and Lee get a run-out and was Josh Bell in goal or is it all in my imagination? I have been watching Zeitgeist too long, obviously.

:cardinal:

Manchester Senior Cup only. We are not in any reserves league. The reserves have always been used to keep the benchwarmers match fit and also to see if any of Philliskirk's kids are ready to step up.

Edited by mikejh45

This might be a bit of a silly question but what role has Dux been doing this season with a lack of reserves?

Since asking that question, Dux has arranged two friendly matches for the Reserves. Away to Crewe on Wednesday (1:00pm) and at Chapel Road v Wigan (behind closed doors) next Tuesday 3rd March.

http://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/page/NewsU...1567195,00.html

Since asking that question, Dux has arranged two friendly matches for the Reserves. Away to Crewe on Wednesday (1:00pm) and at Chapel Road v Wigan (behind closed doors) next Tuesday 3rd March.

http://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/page/NewsU...1567195,00.html

Glad to see the squad players will be getting some match practice in. I think this could be vital at this point in the season. Definitely pleased to hear this.

It would have been interesting to watch the reserves regularly this season. More interesting than it was last anyway......

Totally agree it was a mistake, but then I don't know just how much bigger our squad is for not having reserve team bills to pay. I'll check Zeitgeist for the answer.