Hughes and Alessandra up front on Tuesday please Shez.

When I watched Lewi against Scunny I thought he was awesome, definately!! Hughesy knows how to hold up the ball and go for goal, so a pacy little man alongside him is exactly whats needed. Not an old fatty with brains, that never really gets anyone anywhere. Two words Ronnie Jepson.

Is this the same player who has been inefective ever since the Scunthorpe game thinking he had made it after that one performance? No doubt Alessandra will be a good player but he is not the finished article yet. Windass didn’t have a good game by all accounts yesterday but not many did. It could be argued that Windass won us 4 points in the two games prior to yesterday. Think people should give him a bit longer before they make judgment after all he has still only played a handful of games all season, with a bit more luck he could have had 5 goals already.

I love what Windass brings to the team in many ways.

But ever since Shez effectively told LA he wasn't good enough the side hasn't quite delivered.

A lot to be said for your suggestion. Hughes would be the main beneficiary.

I honestly thought that when Windass came he would be the perfect foil for hughes, but after seeing yet another inept performance by our strikers (I thought we ad a lot of good possesion inthe second half, with very little movement up front other than Smalley) - I just can help but think Hughes and Deano just isnt going to work..

Hughes just seems to have lost that sharpness and yard of pace, whether that is age, form, disinterest, whatever - I dont know, however what is for certain is that Windass needs someone with pace next to him... that aint hughesy at the moment... they are too similar, too statitc, and yesterday I'm sure th yeovil centre backs had one of thier easiest games of the season...

Windass offers notthing next to hughes IMO, they do the same things, and I'd play hughesy ahead of Dean as he offers more threat... but you need someone with pace next to him. At the moment, although harsh on Lewi - I have to say for me that is Dean Smalley, with Fabio and DJ coming back we should have enough options ont he wing... and arguably Deane Smalley is our in form striker - and starting to look powerful, fast and strong, and much better in the air than Lewi...

For me, its Smalley and Hughes Up-front, with two of Tayls, Fabio and DJ on the wings....

As for Windass, I'd play lewi in front of him... I'm sorry, but I have seen absolutely nothing to justify him being in our side. We may need his experience, but he just isnt standing up to the pace of League 1 football, and the fact you dont get perfect balls passed into you all the time. His touch and movement yesterday was quite frankly... shocking.

Is this the same player who has been inefective ever since the Scunthorpe game thinking he had made it after that one performance?

I stand to be corrected, but I think he only started one game after the hat-trick.

Hughes just seems to have lost that sharpness and yard of pace, whether that is age, form, disinterest, whatever - I dont know

Which brings in to question the wisdom of leaving a 2 year contract on the table.

I honestly thought that when Windass came he would be the perfect foil for hughes, but after seeing yet another inept performance by our strikers (I thought we ad a lot of good possesion inthe second half, with very little movement up front other than Smalley) - I just can help but think Hughes and Deano just isnt going to work..

Hughes just seems to have lost that sharpness and yard of pace, whether that is age, form, disinterest, whatever - I dont know, however what is for certain is that Windass needs someone with pace next to him... that aint hughesy at the moment... they are too similar, too statitc, and yesterday I'm sure th yeovil centre backs had one of thier easiest games of the season...

Windass offers notthing next to hughes IMO, they do the same things, and I'd play hughesy ahead of Dean as he offers more threat... but you need someone with pace next to him. At the moment, although harsh on Lewi - I have to say for me that is Dean Smalley, with Fabio and DJ coming back we should have enough options ont he wing... and arguably Deane Smalley is our in form striker - and starting to look powerful, fast and strong, and much better in the air than Lewi...

For me, its Smalley and Hughes Up-front, with two of Tayls, Fabio and DJ on the wings....

As for Windass, I'd play lewi in front of him... I'm sorry, but I have seen absolutely nothing to justify him being in our side. We may need his experience, but he just isnt standing up to the pace of League 1 football, and the fact you dont get perfect balls passed into you all the time. His touch and movement yesterday was quite frankly... shocking.

i dont agree with this because i think dean windass can play in the premier league and i have seen reasons to justify him in our side and i think the best example of this would be his play against stockport county. also i cant understand why you would think that dean windass and lee hughes are too similar a player. dean windass likes to play deep mostly and this makes space for lee hughes to move into, which is one of the most important parts to lee hughes game. also how can you say we should play fabio ferreira when hasnt played for us before? also deane smalley is most effective as a wide player

Is this the same player who has been inefective ever since the Scunthorpe game thinking he had made it after that one performance? No doubt Alessandra will be a good player but he is not the finished article yet. Windass didn’t have a good game by all accounts yesterday but not many did. It could be argued that Windass won us 4 points in the two games prior to yesterday. Think people should give him a bit longer before they make judgment after all he has still only played a handful of games all season, with a bit more luck he could have had 5 goals already.

Since Windass came our away form has been shocking. He is too old to put in the workrate that we can't do without away from home. At home his touch and class has unlocked more defensively minded teams. I would play him at home but away he would be on the bench.

When I watched Lewi against Scunny I thought he was awesome, definately!! Hughesy knows how to hold up the ball and go for goal, so a pacy little man alongside him is exactly whats needed. Not an old fatty with brains, that never really gets anyone anywhere. Two words Ronnie Jepson.

since when did ronnie jepson have brains

i dont agree with this because i think dean windass can play in the premier league and i have seen reasons to justify him in our side and i think the best example of this would be his play against stockport county. also i cant understand why you would think that dean windass and lee hughes are too similar a player. dean windass likes to play deep mostly and this makes space for lee hughes to move into, which is one of the most important parts to lee hughes game. also how can you say we should play fabio ferreira when hasnt played for us before? also deane smalley is most effective as a wide player

Ugh,

Now if you had read my post you would have seen I was referring to yesterday, when for most of the game both hughesy and Windass were stood about 15 yards outside of the box, stationary, picking thier arses waiting for something to happen. They may not play the same game (windass allegedly looks to pass the ball, but on yesterdays showing he couldnt pass the salt at dinner - awful) however niether have the ability to 'play on the defenders shoulder' and get behind defences... hughesy used to have this, but for whatever reason he now just doesnt... who knows if he can get it back... but for the moment we have 2 stationary, slow and apparently disinterested strikers up front... (well, unless it is a big game or we are are on TV)... Hugehsy moving into space - err? Not yesterday mate.

They may not be similar in supposed style, but they are playing in the same positions - and we are crying our for a bit of pace, determination and directness.... enter Mr Smalley. Before Stockport I would have been inclined to agree with you, however since he has been arguably our biggest goal threat. Yesterday he played up top for 60 minutes, and was our best striker by a clear distance, a very clear distance - determined, quick, good in the air... he scored a greta goal and yeah missed a sitter, but he was the only person who looked like scoring....

And if you read my post I didnt say play Fabio... but we have a chice between him, DJ and Tayls if smalley is upfront. Now, this kid has been on Trial with us, I highly doubt shez would ahve signed him if he wasnt going to add something to the team and play some football. He aint a random loan punt, or a signing 'for the future'.

Smalley up top for me all the way. Dean Windass can give his experience from the bench with Liddell.

Since when has Dean Windass been a Premiership quality player?

He played there when he was 30 for Bradford and Middlesbrough and scored like 22 goals in 4 seasons. He then found himself at Bradford and was playing against us in this league not long ago and to be honest he didn't stand out as being "too good for this division", all this hype surrounding him us based off the 11 goals he scored last season which contributed to Hull getting promoted and the amazing volley in the playoffs and 4 odd Premiership appearances this season.

I'm not saying he's a bad player, but he is 39 and he's not Premiership quality.

Edited by Bring Back Pukka Pies

Since when has Dean Windass bean a Premiership quality player?

He played there when he was 30 for Bradford and Middlesbrough and scored like 22 goals in 4 seasons. He then found himself at Bradford and was playing against us in the league not long ago and to be honest he didn't stand out as being "too good for this division", all this hype surrounding him us based off the 11 goals he scored last season which contributed to Hull getting promoted and the amazing volley in the playoffs and 4 odd Premiership appearances this season.

Exactly what I was going to post earlier. He did do very well in League 1 for Bradford though.....about 4 years ago.

We need pace and power up front and that must mean Smalley or Alessandra alongside Hughes. I don't see how Windass could ever have been a foil for Hughes as they are both of a similar style. (Old and slow :grin: )

Now we have seemingly boosted or options out wide, Sheridan should be looking at this in training. Tuesdays match may be too soon but it must be doable against Millwall. And I'd rather have Eardley in at right back than somebody else's reserve player. Just my opinion.

Windass playing alongside Hughes rather than behind him would be better. Sadly though, most moves break down due to most peoples "hero" being offside endlessly. I think people should be talking about that, than the thought of dropping Windass. Which quite frankly makes me laugh. Hero to not good enough from one week to the next...quality stuff lads!!!

PS I will add though that I thought it was highly stupid of Shez to not have Lewis on the bench on Saturday who would've been a perfect player to bring on with 20 to go (instead of a guy who I just can't see what he brings to the side any longer)...then again though, I'm not surprised by it one bit (*cough* jobs for the boys *cough*)

Edited by boundaryblue80

Windass playing alongside Hughes rather than behind him would be better. Sadly though, most moves break down due to most peoples "hero" being offside endlessly. I think people should be talking about that, than the thought of dropping Windass. Which quite frankly makes me laugh. Hero to not good enough from one week to the next...quality stuff lads!!!

PS I will add though that I thought it was highly stupid of Shez to not have Lewis on the bench on Saturday who would've been a perfect player to bring on with 20 to go (instead of a guy who I just can't see what he brings to the side any longer)...then again though, I'm not surprised by it one bit (*cough* jobs for the boys *cough*)

My posts were very much about both our aging forwards, and I dont think our team can accommodate both. You are right about Hughes, he is caught offside a lot, he just doesnt sdeem to have the movement he even had last season, something is off... however, I'd still have him in my team ahead of windass...any day of the week. I may have a tinted view as I wasnt at Northampton, and the last two times I have seen him were at leicester and Yeovil. Now, that is 135 minutes (well taking away the fact he got rightfully subbed) of outfield football where he has been nothing short of pitiful.

I'll only call what I see, and he shouldnt be in the team (or any professional football side) on that type of form.

Totally agree with you about lewi though. Bloody Andy Liddell... to be fair, he wasnt awful, he just did nothing, and had the chance to win it for us when he inexplicably hooked it over is head rather than shooting from the corner of the 6 yard box. As you say, how he is taking a place on the bench over Ales I will never know... and even Danny Whit would have been a better option...

sorry on wot basis ?? i can accept he was :censored:e vs. yeavil the sat after ... but since how many games as the kid started ?? Byfield came iin, now windass

FFS shez give the boy a chance !!!

My posts were very much about both our aging forwards, and I dont think our team can accommodate both. You are right about Hughes, he is caught offside a lot, he just doesnt sdeem to have the movement he even had last season, something is off... however, I'd still have him in my team ahead of windass...any day of the week. I may have a tinted view as I wasnt at Northampton, and the last two times I have seen him were at leicester and Yeovil. Now, that is 135 minutes (well taking away the fact he got rightfully subbed) of outfield football where he has been nothing short of pitiful.

I'll only call what I see, and he shouldnt be in the team (or any professional football side) on that type of form.

Totally agree with you about lewi though. Bloody Andy Liddell... to be fair, he wasnt awful, he just did nothing, and had the chance to win it for us when he inexplicably hooked it over is head rather than shooting from the corner of the 6 yard box. As you say, how he is taking a place on the bench over Ales I will never know... and even Danny Whit would have been a better option...

I do agree Lids should not be nea the squad but surely you cant get that picky abou what players do because you could say Lewis had the chance to help us beat Leicester but fell over. Maybe Shez is just as critical hence Lewis is not out on the bench.

To be honest I think Lewis' poor contribution when he came on vs leicester is why he hasnt been near the starting XI recently. I dont think it was his one on one miss, just his lack desire to chase things down, which was non existant compared to Hughes efforts over the majority of the game. Hughes had run himself into the ground, and was one of the reasons Leicester couldnt relax when we went down to 10, so Lewis comes on to give us some fresh legs and jogged around.

I would argue the case that without Ormerod, Byfield and Windass joining up Lewis Alessandra would:

- have matured greatly in the last 4 months

- scored half a dozen goals, taking him in to double figures for the season

- relieved a lot of the pressure our midfield has endured during that period, leading to fewer goals conceded

- created more goals for Hughes, taking him over 20 for the season

- left the side much closer to the top 2, if not in the top 2

But we'll never know, will we.

I still think a functioning strike partnership is better than 2 great strikers who don't quite hit it off.

Alessandra / Hughes was working.

I would argue the case that without Ormerod, Byfield and Windass joining up Lewis Alessandra would:

- have matured greatly in the last 4 months

- scored half a dozen goals, taking him in to double figures for the season

- relieved a lot of the pressure our midfield has endured during that period, leading to fewer goals conceded

- created more goals for Hughes, taking him over 20 for the season

- left the side much closer to the top 2, if not in the top 2

But we'll never know, will we.

I still think a functioning strike partnership is better than 2 great strikers who don't quite hit it off.

Alessandra / Hughes was working.

Or he could have continued to not score

Could get complacent knowing he doesnt have to work hard to get in the team

Fans begin to get on his back

He gets blamed for us not being top

Millwall sign Windass and Byfield and everyone goes mad that Shez doesnt sign any experienced strikers on loan.

If you believe in multiverses then both of our scenarios have actually happened :shock:

Or he could have continued to not score

Could get complacent knowing he doesnt have to work hard to get in the team

Fans begin to get on his back

He gets blamed for us not being top

Millwall sign Windass and Byfield and everyone goes mad that Shez doesnt sign any experienced strikers on loan.

If you believe in multiverses then both of our scenarios have actually happened :shock:

Mine ends with an Alessandra hat-trick at Stade de France as Latics come from 2-0 down to beat Real Madrid in the Champions League Final.

Windy has spoiled it!