Would you rather us be...

...a) the sort of team that wins away at Leeds, Tranmere and Millwall but loses to Hereford, Yeovil and Swindon

or

B) the sort of team that puts away the teams at the bottom but struggles against rivals at the top?

And lets face it, with our current fan base we aint gonna be both.

I know what I enjoy more and maybe that kind of team would do better in a higher league where just about every game is a big one.

...a) the sort of team that wins away at Leeds, Tranmere and Millwall but loses to Hereford, Yeovil and Swindon

or

B) the sort of team that puts away the teams at the bottom but struggles against rivals at the top?

I know what I enjoy more and maybe that kind of team would do better in a higher league where just about every game is a big one.

When I first started supporting the Latics at the ripe old age of 5 and a half with me Grandad it was just the same.

Put us up against a quality team and we raise our game and, if we don't win, we give a good account.

Put us against a :censored:e team and we lower our standards accordingly.

It was that way in '63 and '73 and on and on and on.... and it's that way now.

We were the only(?) team to beat Utd in their brief forray in the Old Div II

We lost to South Shields in late '60 some'at - a non league outfit - in a cup game

We lost but played a great game away at Liverpool in a cup game in 70 some'at - christ the mind's goin. Call me Al short for Alzheimers...still I make knew friends everyday...

After 45 years of it you become immune. Bring on the BIG games!!!! :ktf:

or

The two aren't mutually exclusive.

If you can deliver against the top teams it automatically follows that you SHOULD be able to beat the lesser sides too.

I don't see what the fan base has got to do with the results on the pitch this season. If TTA pulled the financial plug, I would.

If you can deliver against the top teams it automatically follows that you SHOULD be able to beat the lesser sides too.

I don't see what the fan base has got to do with the results on the pitch this season. If TTA pulled the financial plug, I would.

When going from a big buzzing crowd, underdog, '6 pointer' atmosphere against a top team to a freezing midweek game in front of 4000 quiet hardcore fans mostly expecting a comfortable win, then fan base does affect results on the pitch. It's not a surprise that the team is more motivated for the big games.

Of course if you beat the top teams you "SHOULD" beat the lower teams, but for how many teams in the country does that actually happen? We've got a good squad, but not one that should be walking the league.

So why don't the FA print the results back in July when they do the fixtures too? Could save all of us a lot of time and expense.

May I be the first to congratulate Leeds, Huddersfield and Leicester on their promotion.

So why don't the FA print the results back in July when they do the fixtures too? Could save all of us a lot of time and expense.

May I be the first to congratulate Leeds, Huddersfield and Leicester on their promotion.

I never said Leeds and Huddersfield were "top teams".

or

Without a drawn-out period of being both, our fan base is only likely to get smaller, as we are seeing.

Without a drawn-out period of being both, our fan base is only likely to get smaller, as we are seeing.

Which is what I have a problem with. Following a team like the latics should not be dependent on them being consistently successful. Has there ever even been a period of that in the club's history?

It's a society problem - instant reward and entertainment for frig all effort... "I've paid my 20 quid so you'd better win stylishly or else I'm going to take my money and time elsewhere"

Which is what I have a problem with. Following a team like the latics should not be dependent on them being consistently successful. Has there ever even been a period of that in the club's history?

It's a society problem - instant reward and entertainment for frig all effort... "I've paid my 20 quid so you'd better win stylishly or else I'm going to take my money and time elsewhere"

It isn't dependent on them being consistently successful. What I was pointing out, however, is that there have been periods where we've had a team capable of beating all-comers.

It's nice when we do. It kind of compensates for the garbage we have to put up with so much more often.