PC Broken - help please!

oafc_ok

Hi all

On Saturday my little girl switched on my pc just before we were about to go out. Rather than wait for it to start up then shut it down properly I just switched it off. Since then when I switch on a blue screen appears with a long message which starts:

"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL "

I've copied down the rest of the message and will type it all up if necessary to resolve the problem. I haven't installed any new hardware or software recently. The message mentions selecting 'Safe Mode', which I have done, but I've no idea what to do once I'm in 'Safe Mode'.

I'd be grateful if anyone can give me any advice as to how to resolve this. I've tried switching it off then switching it back on again but as that didn't work I'm stumped!

Thanks a lot

Matt

Which OS are you using? Sounds like you may have switched it off halfway through an update...

I'll need the Technical Information bit as well on the blue screen message, for what it's worth - but there may be some clues there.

Which OS are you using? Sounds like you may have switched it off halfway through an update...

I'll need the Technical Information bit as well on the blue screen message, for what it's worth - but there may be some clues there.

I am using Windows XP

The technical information on the blue screen reads as follows:

Technical Information

*** STOP: 0x0000000A (0x00000000, 0x00000002, 0x00000001, 0x804F9D36)

Unfortunately this is probably one of the most common faults we get with Windows XP.

It would appear the Windows software has been damaged and needs a system repair (we probably have to do this 5 to 6 times per week in the shop on clients PC's).

We can normally repair the Windows as long as you have a genuine COA/licence No: attached to the PC. It takes just about an 1½ hours to do the job and we have a set price of £35.00 for the work.

If you want to have it done give us a call on 0161 287 8877.

Regards

Nathan Gardner

Thanks for that Rummy - the thread is about a Blue Screen on shutdown whereas my issue is when switching on (although I suspect the same principles apply?). Other than that it suggests a driver for a Sony Handycam could be the cause - I don't have one. It suggests a system restore which I attempted on Saturday but got the same blue screen. Other than that it seems to say re-installing the operating system could be a solution. I must admit I wouldn't be too confident about doing that. I might take pcasssist's advice and take it in somewhere local to have it looked at.

Thanks

Matt

Unfortunately this is probably one of the most common faults we get with Windows XP.

It would appear the Windows software has been damaged and needs a system repair (we probably have to do this 5 to 6 times per week in the shop on clients PC's).

We can normally repair the Windows as long as you have a genuine COA/licence No: attached to the PC. It takes just about an 1½ hours to do the job and we have a set price of £35.00 for the work.

If you want to have it done give us a call on 0161 287 8877.

Regards

Nathan Gardner

Nathan

Thanks for the advice. I'm in the Midlands so would need to take it in somewhere local.

Cheers

Matt