I've just had a long chat ...

... with a die-hard Port Vale fan.

I think perhaps it's time for some of us to take our heads out of our backsides, look for a bit of perspective, and realise that however bad some of us think things are at Boundary Park they're an awful lot worse elsewhere.

... with a die-hard Port Vale fan.

I think perhaps it's time for some of us to take our heads out of our backsides, look for a bit of perspective, and realise that however bad some of us think things are at Boundary Park they're an awful lot worse elsewhere.

Their on the brink of going into administration again arent they?

More or less. Chairman is skint, fans have turned, ony reason they won't go down this season is other clubs starting on minus points.

Yup and as it will be their 2nd time in admin in less than 10 yrs, the penalty will be 10 points as soon as they go into admin plus probably another 17 if they do not exit via a CVA

It hasn't helped that the board sacked Sinnott when the fans still wanted to give him time, and then appointed a manager who nobody wanted.

And if they drop into non-league next season they'll find - as others have done - that it'll be an awful long time before they come back up. The overall standard (and funds) available in the BSP is higher than League Two.

To be fair to Robbie Williams, he has put a not inconsiderable amount of money into the club in the past. But he's not interested in getting more closely involved or buying a stake. Sensible lad.

He did eventually yeh, but i remember just after he signed his £80m record deal port vale were on the brink of admin again and needed to pay the players wages for a month they needed either £150k or £250k - they asked williams and he said NO, and i remember only a couple of months prior to this he was walking around with a port vale shirt on telling anyone who would listen that he is the biggest port vale fan alive mmmmmm :mad:

the robbie williams thing actually happened and the port vale board went on record and said they have approached robbie williams but he said a big fat NO :mad:

Whatever.

Are you honestly saying that Port Vale's plight is Robbie Williams's fault, just because he's a rich fan who's opted not to invest (more than he has already)?

It might be that simple in your world, but the real world is a bit more complicated.

Funnily enough, the current board and (grown up) fans bear no grudges to Robbie Williams ... just maybe they appreciate what he has done for them.

Edited by garcon

ANYWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This thread wasn't really meant to be about Port Vale - that was just a useful comparison to use in suggesting some of our so called fans should get their heads out of their arses and realise that being 5th in March is no reason to go round slitting their own throats and demanding sackings...

Whatever.

Are you honestly saying that Port Vale's plight is Robbie Williams's fault, just because he's a rich fan who's opted not to invest (more than he has already)?

It might be that simple in your world, but the real world is a bit more complicated.

Funnily enough, the current board and (grown up) fans bear no grudges to Robbie Williams ... just maybe they appreciate what he has done for them.

can you tell me were i said port vale are in this plight cos of robbie williams??? :shock:

I was simply pointing out a FACT that a few years ago when port vale were in a similair postition they approached him to pay a months wages and he turned around and said NO but a few months before that he was telling everyone hes port vales biggest fan!! :shock:

Do you understand now??????

And funnily enough the board and fans dont hold a gridge NOW because he had a change of heart and invested, but id be interested if they had a grudge THEN!! :shock:

And please dont try and patronise me by saying 'it might be simple in your world, but the real world is a bit more complicated', who do you think i am a spotty school kid?? who the :censored: are you garcon??

I think you are the only one who needs to take there head out of there arse!!

This site gets better and better far to many know it all, im never wrong, patronising people :mad::mad:

Thanks for that. Hope it made you feel better. :lol:

I was telling you about something that happened at port vale but obviously you was more interested in picking at what i said and trying to patronise me so there you go eh :mad:

Time to take my uniform off, pop my spots and do my homework!!!!! :grin:

I really have a dislike for port vale - though the original post on this topic has made a pretty valid point - we're not in such a bad state are we?

I don't see it like that. After all, it's more by luck than judgement that we didn't go the same way as them a lot earlier. What would have happened had SAFE not persuaded David Brierley's board to put the club up for sale when the club had already sold BP and had no idea where to turn next? What would have happened if it hadn't been for the efforts a few individuals during the Moore fiasco? We probably face a similar future if we don't get out of this division.

Who's Robbie Williams anyway? Just some fat dancer out of Take That. To quote Noel Gallagher.

Edited by Corporal_Jones

I don't see it like that. After all, it's more by luck than judgement that we didn't go the same way as them a lot earlier. What would have happened had SAFE not persuaded David Brierley's board to put the club up for sale when the club had already sold BP ad had no idea where to turn next? What would have happened if it hadn't been for the efforts a few individuals during the Moore fiasco? We probably face a similar future if we don't get out of this division.

Who's Robbie Williams anyway? Just some fat dancer out of Take That. To quote Noel Gallagher.

You're spot on 'bout that Williams bloke!! However, whether it's luck or otherwise, we are in a financially safe position at the mo....and i think when you compare the clubs and who you would rather be following then i think it's dead straight forward - regardless of 'greyhoundgate' or whatever the 'super poll' has named it

You're spot on 'bout that Williams bloke!! However, whether it's luck or otherwise, we are in a financially safe position at the mo....and i think when you compare the clubs and who you would rather be following then i think it's dead straight forward - regardless of 'greyhoundgate' or whatever the 'super poll' has named it

As I say, I take no comfort in comparing us to the basket case clubs at the bottom of the fourth division. When you consider that our gates are deteriorating even while we're in the top six, and our only financial lifeline might never materialise, what kind of future do you envisage for the club if we fail to get out of this division again, the budget is cut and a continuing economic deterioration means the stadium never gets redeveloped?

As I say, I take no comfort in comparing us to the basket case clubs at the bottom of the fourth division. When you consider that our gates are deteriorating even while we're in the top six, and our only financial lifeline might never materialise, what kind of future do you envisage for the club if we fail to get out of this division again, the budget is cut and a continuing economic deterioration means the stadium never gets redeveloped?

It won't be just Oldham Athletics budget cut, that is for certain - as for deteriorating crowds, if you took our average crowd over the last 10 years and if our league placing was decided on this, we would be in the bottom half season on season.

The future of many clubs long term is not good reading, never mind our own, regardless of Moore, Sheridan, Warnock, Talbot, Ritchie, Dowie and any other manager who comes in and fails to take us up - however in the short term (for how long only the TTA can answer you) - as they have stated, we are financially secure in the main and will continue to operate.

The blame of this and any other 3rd/4th Division football club, who in the future enters administration or 'god forbid' goes to the wall, can imo, only be laid at the feet of our ever incompetent FA and the introduction of the premiergreed -(but that's another debate i guess)

Whilst I like every other Tic would ove to see us at least back in the championship - you have to be realistic and look at the lack of pulling power this club has in terms of fanbase and players and ask are we just not at our level here.

The 'Royle' era was an exceptional one in our history - 1 which will probably never be repeated in our lifetimes. That was our opportunity and our chance to consolidate at the top level, in order to put ourselves in with a chance of attracting investors and therefore keep up with the rest - We didn't...we tried to do things on the cheap, never attracted investment, didn't re-invest, sold our better players and subsequently find ourselves where we are today.

It won't be just Oldham Athletics budget cut, that is for certain - as for deteriorating crowds, if you took our average crowd over the last 10 years and if our league placing was decided on this, we would be in the bottom half season on season.

The future of many clubs long term is not good reading, never mind our own, regardless of Moore, Sheridan, Warnock, Talbot, Ritchie, Dowie and any other manager who comes in and fails to take us up - however in the short term (for how long only the TTA can answer you) - as they have stated, we are financially secure in the main and will continue to operate.

The blame of this and any other 3rd/4th Division football club, who in the future enters administration or 'god forbid' goes to the wall, can imo, only be laid at the feet of our ever incompetent FA and the introduction of the premiergreed -(but that's another debate i guess)

Whilst I like every other Tic would ove to see us at least back in the championship - you have to be realistic and look at the lack of pulling power this club has in terms of fanbase and players and ask are we just not at our level here.

The 'Royle' era was an exceptional one in our history - 1 which will probably never be repeated in our lifetimes. That was our opportunity and our chance to consolidate at the top level, in order to put ourselves in with a chance of attracting investors and therefore keep up with the rest - We didn't...we tried to do things on the cheap, never attracted investment, didn't re-invest, sold our better players and subsequently find ourselves where we are today.

Your last point is spot on (despite the fact that we'd already been holding our own fairly comfortably in the second tier-ie where we need to be now-for eight years before Royle arrived), although it saddens me to see another one in the 'we might have found our level' camp.

Such reasoning always fails to take into account that our fanbase is shrinking and our 'pulling power' eroding precisely because the club is stagnating at this level. And stagnating clubs don't stand still. They deteriorate.

Your last point is spot on (despite the fact that we'd already been holding our own fairly comfortably in the second tier-ie where we need to be now-for eight years before Royle arrived), although it saddens me to see another one in the 'we might have found our level' camp.

Such reasoning always fails to take into account that our fanbase is shrinking and our 'pulling power' eroding precisely because the club is stagnating at this level. And stagnating clubs don't stand still. They deteriorate.

Back in the early 80s, the game from a financial point of view was very different and the 'odd' one or two clubs with good fanbases, good pedigrees and histories found themselves out of the top 2 divisions - however now, you only need to look at our own division and the 'bigger fanbased and likely bigger potential investing clubs - leics, leeds etc, to see that we are up against it.

I agree that stagnation is not good and although i am sorry to be in the 'found our level' camp, after 12 years in this league, it would be very difficult and a tad foolish for me to think that we were anything but "at our level". The financial side of the game is changing very fast and unless we can achieve promotion with our current investors, then i worryingly feel that 'this level' may be ours for years to come -

So come on TTA, act now, do what you need to do and pay somebody some bloody good money to get us out of it!!

Now how's that Corp...A compromise :wink: