DIFFERENT CLASS, DISMISSED?

DIFFERENT CLASS, DISMISSED?

Why the sun is setting on Sheridan’s Boundary Park reign

The 2008/09 season has been an eventful one for Latics and the goings on of this campaign lead me to think that one thing is certain: that a new manager will be in the Boundary Park hotseat when the first ball is kicked in 2009/10.

Whilst he has undoubtedly made mistakes, I have long felt that Sheridan has done a pretty admirable job as young manager, learning his trade. However, the cracks in Sheridan’s stewardship are becoming all too obvious and it seems his efforts over his three years at the helm will fall short of the mark.

One of the most notable deficits has been Sheridan’s inability to put right Latics’ habit of losing to poorer sides – the sides they ‘should’ beat – and this has been a feature throughout his time as manager. It was proven again last weekend when, following a very respectable four points from the games against Millwall away and Leeds at home, Latics produced a dreadful performance in the subsequent home defeat to Colchester. Their tendency to not ‘turn up’ for the games against teams further down the league table has hampered Sheridan’s promotion hopes in each of the seasons he has been in charge. All too often, his team have put themselves in the frame only to then immediately capitulate.

The failure to put this right means that we now look upon a third successive campaign in which Latics will fail to realise their potential. In spite of having shown they can beat any team at this level, with wins against many a top side, it would be surprising now to see Latics make the 2008/09 playoffs, never mind winning promotion through them. To reach the end of season playoffs in his first season was an impressive achievement for Sheridan but, once there, they were outclassed by the Blackpool side that went on to reach the Championship. In the two seasons that have followed, though, Latics have failed to step up another level and become out-and-out promotion contenders.

It is not on-the-pitch events alone that bring me to the conclusion that Sheridan will be clearing his desk at the end of this season, but those all too public happenings away from the turf play a big part also.

First of all, there were the events of last week at Belle Vue Greyhound Stadium, now dubbed “Doggygate”. These, of course, reached the national press; and, whilst it has to be said that much of what was reported of the evening was fairly dubious, it was most ill-timed and untoward for the club to be in such a position, nevertheless.

Not all of the blame can be levelled at Sheridan, however; that must be shared with the person who believed the Dogs Night was a wise idea in the first place. On reading about the event on the club’s official website, my immediate thoughts were of what a potential disaster it was to have players, manager, fans and alcohol in a melting pot, particularly at a time when the same squad of players and their manager have been coming in for some criticism, and just as we head into the make-or-break stage of the season. And so it transpired.

At the same time the fists were supposedly being thrown and other parts of anatomy apparently being shown, Dean Windass’ ITV blog was telling the world that, following his appearance as a late substitute in the televised Leeds game, he had left the club and that, against the conditions of his loan deal, he had no intention of returning. Not many supporters were mourning the loss, since the form of the overweight striker during his loan spell had been poor. His version of events was scathing, saying that he had been ‘let down’ (presumably by Sheridan) and more than implied that he believes himself to be too good for Latics and that he should starting every game for the club.

It was, frankly, bizarre to then see him then pop up on Latics World to claim that the blog is ghost-written and deny that he had said any of the above. This smacks of him having submitted the blog in haste and later realising, perhaps on the advice of his parent club, that it was not going to be quite as simple as walking away. Most Latics fans were disappointed, to say the least, to see Windass then appear for half an hour as substitute in the Colchester defeat.

Both of these unsavoury events have seriously undermined Sheridan’s position and their have been hints in the past that the Latics Board have raised questions over the squad’s discipline. It did not help his case that Sheridan was reported to have been so directly involved in the Doggygate affair. Again, doubts surfaced over his authority and the Board’s confidence in him, when he stated that he had dealt with matters, but the Board felt it necessary to carry out a full investigation and, leading on from that, take further action. A club statement told that one employee (rumoured to be club captain, Sean Gregan) had been fined a maximum two weeks’ wages, whilst two others (thought to be Lee Hughes and Sheridan) had been heavily censured.

This is not the sort of environment in which you could rightly expect promotion and, to be honest, it was difficult to believe that it was on the cards anyway, given the club’s recent form. Latics go into a tough away game at MK Dons today having won just two games from the last nine, or five from eighteen if you look back further.

With Latics already scrapping to stay in a top-six spot, with ten games left, it seems indefensible that off the pitch the club is publicly unravelling. Year-after-year we see one particular team that occupies a playoff/promotion place in the league table, only to drop out of the top six late on in the season. Currently, Latics could not look more like being that team for 2008/09.

Many of the criticisms thrown in Sheridan’s direction have been harsh, however. For instance, no one had a problem with Sheridan going by the nickname “Shez” rather than “Gaffer” until they were turning against him for other reasons. Does it really make an iota of difference?

Following Ronnie Moore’s departure, Sheridan was always going to be given at least three years as manager. With Latics looking reasonably likely to miss out on the playoffs, as well as serious questions marks over certain aspects of his management and his ability to instil discipline, Sheridan has not quite met the brief. Having assembled a very decent looking squad, there is a feeling that he just does not get quite enough out of them. And so time will inevitably be called on his reign at the end of the current campaign.

Good effort, Shez. Best of luck, wherever you are headed next.

Guest sheridans_world

:applause1:

Good article.

Really think you've summed up the situation perfectly. I dont doubt for one minute that Shez'll be leaving in the summer, sadly. He's been a great servant to the club as a player and a coach, its a shame he hasnt quite cut the mustard as manager.

Then again, will the tune change if we get promoted???

Incidentally, Sheridan is currently the 14th longest serving manager in the 92 league clubs.

interesting that. incidentaly oldham insider ever considered working on panorama on the BBC. thought you put your case very well after measuring up the facts.

Very good article. And I agree that it does appear to sum up everything at BP from recent weeks.

Personally, I have not been on the bandwagon of wanting Shez/Gaffer/Mr Sheridan sacked - But the events of this week and today show his position is quickly becoming untenable. I reckon he may quit before being sacked, but we will see for definite in the next few days just what happens.

Either way, I reckon our season is effectively over and we should start planning for next term by offloading ALL of our loanees who are not tied in until the end of the season. We should then blood the fringe/youth players and take it from there by adding new faces in the summer.

A very good evaluation of the state of things at BP. I too haven't been one to jump on the "Sack Sheridan" bandwagon, however after today's result I'm jumping aboard. Results are inconsistent and we're fortunate to have stayed in the top six as we've only stayed there as other results have gone our way and the teams around us have all had several games in hand on Latics. It was a false position all that time.

It would be the gentlemanly thing to do to wait until the end of the season for Sheridan to go, however if he goes now, (reading between the lines of Sheridan's post-match report today it suggests he's expecting to go) we can but hope for a decent run of results which may get us into the playoffs as an in-form team.

Sorry John, Thanks for everything you've done but I think it's time to move on.

Pretty fair evaluation.

However can I just pick you up on the 'no one had a problem with Sheridan going with the nickname Shez rather than Gaffer when things were going well'. I did and said it as soon as it was made public in Windass's very first blog.

A manager being called by his nickname = no respect. Simple.

E4e

MEDAL

Guest sheridans_world
Three posts in two years tells us this person is someone with clout at the club.

This post is no coincidence.

Call in Mulder and Scully. :grin:

A little closer than the stars, fella.