Hines preferred to Stam :mmm:

What about his run of games in November when Gregan was dropped, can't remember Stam making any serial howlers, i bet he isn't that slow? doesn't seem it anyway, i'll give you he is injury prone, but he hasn't been out that much this season with injuries, just not being selected, yet when he was he hardly put a foot wrong .....

On website it says stam started 7 games and 1 as sub = 8.

Stam doesn't get the opportunity to play because his favoured spot is taken up by a big, fat, lumbering, strutting lump who happens to be Sheriden's choice as captain. I still find it strange with the run of results we have been having, there are still people who would put Gregan's name on the team sheet above anyone else. Certain people on here will call me deluded (polite version), but a Hazell/Stam partnership would have leaked considerably less goals.

Stam doesn't get the opportunity to play because his favoured spot is taken up by a big, fat, lumbering, strutting lump who happens to be Sheriden's choice as captain.

While Gregan has been done for pace by the ball over the top on occasions, he is also the better player of the two, and the number of timely interceptions and crunching tackles that he has made to save face for piss poor fullbacks has been immense this season.

Even Vidic can make the occasional mistake - most goals conceded at any level can have you point the finger at one or two defenders.

I still find it strange with the run of results we have been having, there are still people who would put Gregan's name on the team sheet above anyone else.
Actually, I'd pick Hazell first and Gregan second. Maybe Hazell's absence yesterday didn't help.

Certain people on here will call me deluded (polite version), but a Hazell/Stam partnership would have leaked considerably less goals.
A Hazell/Stam partnership had an excellent record last season. That said, it was protected by a mixture of Kalala/Allott/McDonald which was pretty negative from an attacking perspective. Our midfield has been outmuscled more this season (but more creative going the other way) and our full backs have not been as good as they were last season, exposing the centre backs more.

Would picking Stam at MK Dons have made us win?

Don't be silly.

Would picking Stam at MK Dons have made us win?

Inane, pointless comment!!!

No, but we wouldn't have shipped in 6!!!

And, he would've been closer to Baldock.

Gregan was the captain, one of his jobs is to marshal the defence - he clearly failed.

Inane, pointless comment!!!

wtf!

Apologies for pointing out that solving the Stefan Stam / Centre Half conundrum would not solve the far bigger problems Oldham Athletic currently suffer.

Quite how it was inane and pointless I don't understand.

I have no problem with Stam. I recognise his contribution to our rather impressive defensive record last season. I could also watch video of last season and pick out a number of goals against where he was culpable. Beckett's in the FA Cup perhaps would be for starters. But it goes with the territory of defending.

A fit Gregan is twice the player and has been one of the better players in the squad since returning from his "dropping" earlier in the season.

Edited by opinions4u

wtf!

Apologies for pointing out that solving the Stefan Stam / Centre Half conundrum would not solve the far bigger problems Oldham Athletic currently suffer.

Quite how it was inane and pointless I don't understand.

I have no problem with Stam. I recognise his contribution to our rather impressive defensive record last season. I could also watch video of last season and pick out a number of goals against where he was culpable. Beckett's in the FA Cup perhaps would be for starters. But it goes with the territory of defending.

A fit Gregan is twice the player and has been one of the better players in the squad since returning from his "dropping" earlier in the season.

The stats from last season show the two BEST performing partnerships last season had Stam in there and neither included Gregan, so pointing out individual mistakes does not improve Gregan's poor showing this season.

I really don't see this "special" player you refer to!

When fit he is still slow, he rarely jumps for a header, never marks the BIG forward and is lost for pace by the little pacy forward. When the goal conceded is clearly Gregan's fault (and there have been many), he rarely puts his hand up and always look to offload blame.

When the freshness of this season faded away in October after an excellent start and ageing players started to look and feel their age was the time Sheriden should have used his squad instead of bringing back his non-performing favourites at the first opportunity.

The stats from last season show the two BEST performing partnerships last season had Stam in there and neither included Gregan, so pointing out individual mistakes does not improve Gregan's poor showing this season.

Whilst not meaning to knock your argument in general, but FFS he was injured for the best part of last season.

Cheers,

Harry

Whilst not meaning to knock your argument in general, but FFS he was injured for the best part of last season.

Cheers,

Harry

Harry

Are you saying that you are happy with our defence this season?

Explain this:

Last season, Stam played a greater part than Gregan and had better stats.

This season, Gregan has played more games and the stats still favour Stam.

Our best defensive run last season came with Stam and 3 relatively young players in Trotman, Eardley and Bertrand so the argument put forward about Gregan's beneficial experience is total ball-ox. The aforementioned defence had pace, agility, height AND organisation hence the low number of goals conceded.

Harry

Explain this:

Last season, Stam played a greater part than Gregan and had better stats.

This season, Gregan has played more games and the stats still favour Stam.

Our best defensive run last season came with Stam and 3 relatively young players in Trotman, Eardley and Bertrand so the argument put forward about Gregan's beneficial experience is total ball-ox. The aforementioned defence had pace, agility, height AND organisation hence the low number of goals conceded.

Mike,

Firstly I said that my post was not meaning to knock your argument in general. I was merely pointing out that Gregan was injured for much of last season. There again so were a fair number of the squad.

Cheers,

Harry,

Harry

I dread to think where we may be had we not had Greegs playing all season. Despite his natural faults he has consistantly figured in MOTM polls and rightly so in my opinion. Also I think to totally discount the value of experience by citing a young (and very high value) back four which kept a few clean sheets is crazy.

I dread to think where we may be had we not had Greegs playing all season. Despite his natural faults he has consistantly figured in MOTM polls and rightly so in my opinion. Also I think to totally discount the value of experience by citing a young (and very high value) back four which kept a few clean sheets is crazy.

Probably still in the top two, but most definately comfortably in the play offs.

Stitch, whilst you are entitled to your opinion, you are talking (in my "researched" opinion :grin: ) ball ox. If Stam, in various back four combinations for most of last season and a hand full of games this season, has a better return in terms of goals conceded than any regular combination you care to put forward (which included "The LUMP") then he must be considered. This lad has the best record for a centre-back at the club and yet he is consistently overlooked because you and your "ilk" constantly refer to this 'one error a game' nonsense. The simple inescapable fact our goals against improves with Stam over anything Gregan brings to the party. Experience counts for nothing if we continue to leak embarrassing goals like yesterday because he contributed NADA (just in case you need a definition: nada - contributes nothing but in a very efficient way. Sums Gregan up perfectly).