Good Luck Glossop North End

Glossop lost 2-0 crowd of over 12,000 though, not bad at all...

Whitley Bay became the first North East club to claim a trophy at the new Wembley today with a 2-0 win to lift the FA Vase.

The Seahorses produced a magnificent display in front of 10,000 fans who had travelled to London to watch their heroes lift the cup.

It was ten minutes before the interval when the North Tynesiders broke the deadlock with Derbyshire club, Glossop North End.

Paul Chow superbly held the ball up and slipped it to Lee Kerr who took it past two defenders before firing home.

Then on 44 minutes, star striker Chow put Whitley Bay 2-0 up, scoring the 40th goal of his season in the process.

The strike made him the third man to achieve the remarkable landmark in one season, with Seaside greats Ray Oliver and the legendary Billy Wright the other marksmen to hit the top 40.

A tense second half produced concerted Glossop pressure but the Seahorses held on to emerge 2-0 winners in front of an official attendance of 12,212.

Whitley Bay's Lee Kerr was named man of the match with the club picking up £20,000 to go with the FA Carlsberg Vase trophy.

Prozac, got your fiqures wrong there im afraid, Glossop sold just short of 5000 tickets which leaves WB with just over 7000 fans.

A great day was had by all even though the result didn't go the way i would have hoped.....

The game was played througout in a great spirit by both teams...not 1 yellow card brandished, how many finals can boast that.

WB had the extra pace and punished Glossop with 2 good goals, both teams hit the bar as the game swung from end to end.

Glossop had a setback prior to kick-off when there no. 2 goalkeeper Ash Gotham failed a fitness test and as there no. 1 keeper was cup-tied it was left

to rookie keeper Matt Cooper to step up.... he did the club proud with some fine saves...none of the goals could be put down to goalkeeping errors.

A fantastic achievement in even getting to the final for a club of Glossops size and resources.

Just to see 5000 fans cheering on Glossop brought a lump to my throat on many occasions, i just hope i get to experience a similar achievement

with Oldham in the near future......

what a great day shame about the result but football at that level can be at times unpredictable, the moment Glossop had a shot that deflected and they broke up the other end and made it 2-0 they scored at a very important time and the second half it was a bit flat, bit disappointing with the atmosphere from the Glossop fans, not many of them joined in with our chanting, but it was a very family atmosphere, whereas 5000 Oldham fans in a cup final I suspect 80% will be singing. Dave were you wearing you Latics shirt from 04/05 season? I had a Latics scarf on but the Latics crest was only small

Edited by Tommy_Fent

Dave were you wearing you Latics shirt from 04/05 season? I had a Latics scarf on but the Latics crest was only small

No it wasn't me Tommy....unfortunately i wouldn't fit into anything i bought in 2004 anymore ......except possibly socks!

================================================================================