Doves

Ackey

At the risk of going (further) down in your estimation, Ackey, I've never been a massive Doves fan. Is the new album full of yer typical Dovesy tunes?

I'm sorry? Is someone speaking to me? Only Zorrro is dead to me, so it can't be him!

I'll save my bandwidth then :wink:

There ain't no love and there ain't no uuuuuuuuuuse! That was a good 'un. I reckon they should do an album like that.

This one is a little closer to their dance music past, but is still too similar to their old stuff if you don't like that to start with... and if your bandwidth can't cope with a single album you must have the worst Internet deal of all time... Virgin Media? :huh:

:lol:

I've liked all their singles, to be fur. I think it's many years of hearing Pounding every time I go out that's worn me down. Same with Joy Division. And Happy Mondays (although they're largely :censored: anyway).

I've liked all their singles, to be fur. I think it's many years of hearing Pounding every time I go out that's worn me down. Same with Joy Division. And Happy Mondays (although they're largely :censored: anyway).

Well this album has good singles potential.

And Joy Division are your gods. Bow to them!

Yeah, I'm not a huge Doves fan either. Although I loved The Cedar Room, and bought the EP when it came out. They've had a handful of ace songs, but a load of dross as well. Black and White Town is a massive ripoff of Heatwave by Martha and the Vandellas.

I just can't stop listening to Neil Young at the moment. I never used to like him that much, but he got announced to play Primavera Sound which I'm going to so thought I'd start listening to him more. It's amazing, almost like all the great, slightly country tinged indie stuff I've loved over the past 10 years, like Arcade Fire, Band Of Horses, Clap Your Hands Say Yeah have all suddenly made sense. They all owe a huge debt to Neil Young.

Sorry to drag the Doves-fest off on a tangent, but it was worth it!

Yeah, I'm not a huge Doves fan either. Although I loved The Cedar Room, and bought the EP when it came out. They've had a handful of ace songs, but a load of dross as well. Black and White Town is a massive ripoff of Heatwave by Martha and the Vandellas.

I just can't stop listening to Neil Young at the moment. I never used to like him that much, but he got announced to play Primavera Sound which I'm going to so thought I'd start listening to him more. It's amazing, almost like all the great, slightly country tinged indie stuff I've loved over the past 10 years, like Arcade Fire, Band Of Horses, Clap Your Hands Say Yeah have all suddenly made sense. They all owe a huge debt to Neil Young.

Sorry to drag the Doves-fest off on a tangent, but it was worth it!

Music is music mate. There's no off topic :D (well, aside from RnB...and when I say RnB I mean today's RnB not real RnB with Rhythm and Blues in it).

My dad loves Neil Young, so I've grown up listening to it, but I've never really adored it like I do other music.

And @Zorrro, I think Music is my god... I would much rather honour Joy Division than a book of stories! :wink:

My dad loves Neil Young, so I've grown up listening to it, but I've never really adored it like I do other music.

You'll probably end up loving him when you hit your 30's or 40's!

And @Zorrro, I think Music is my god... I would much rather honour Joy Division than a book of stories! :wink:

Too true. I think after watching the Arcade Fire a couple of years back, I said I'd probably go to church if the hymns were Arcade Fire songs.

This isn't Twitter now, young man.

I'm currently praying at the altar of the Americana-tinged melodies of The Vessels. (Second choice listening - for some reason my CD player doesn't like my The Queen Is Dead CD <_<)

Most of the Doves songs are similar, all great Albums to listen to .... seen them live a few times but actually didn't get into them.

Joy Division .......... bow down to them young man

Happy Mondays ......... can't believe I even wasted my time typing their name.

Part my last DJ set (tonight will be a Stone Roses fest ... can't believe I went out and bought the first Album 20 years ago WTF!!!

Elbow – on a day like this

Rifles – romeo and Julie

Presets – talk like that

Mystery Jets – young love

Virgins – teen lovers

Golden silvers – true romance

Doves – kingdom of rust

White lies – farewell to the fairground

KOL – sex on fire

Spandau Ballet – to cut a long story short (12” mix)

Arcade fire – intervention

Gary Numan – Are friends electric

Twisted Wheel – we are us

Wombats – kill the director

Friendly fires – skeleton boy

Rakes –we danced together

We have band – Oh!

Art brut – Good weekend

Franz Ferd – no you girls

Artic Monkeys – you know I’m no good

Frankie Valli – Beggin (pilooski mix)

Asteroids galaxy tour – round the bend

Virgins – rich girls

The enemy – away from here

Raconteurs – steady as she goes

Metro station –shake it

Kaiser Chiefs – good days

We are Scientist – great escape

El Grincho – palmitos park

Dizzle rascal – dance wiv me

Blondie – maria

Calvin Harris – acceptable in the 80’s

FYV – ever fallen in love

Friendly fires – paris

Hercules and love affair – blind

Little boots – meddle

Killers – human (Vorbau mix)

KOL – use somebody (Anjos mix)

Yazoo – don’t go

Vampire Weekend – A punk

Passion pit – sleepy head

How did that one go down Mark? I actually love it but feel slighty bad for doing so. Great pop song.

I may be getting DJ work at TV21 in the Norn Quarter. Even though I really dislike the place, I just need a bit of extra money though!

I don't care I love the song and blondie!!! Just don't think people realise how influencial the band as been to many scenes!!

I get in trouble because the girl I share the night (she does karaoke... I know I know, but the kids love me, well young ladys :wink: ) thinks I should be a little more commerical'ish :ranting: as its the local scream bar. Realised she doesn't know much about music.

Was thinking we should look to doing a joint night every now and then in one pubs near Latics / after game for charity.

Would be a decent idea I reckon Mark.

going to have a chat with the boys about doing something through owtb .. know any venues that may do it ?

Have Lady GaGa lined up for tonight!! I like Poker face ... like you may guess I'm not affraid to mix it up a little. Even the cool kids look a little pop cheese now and then .. it's how / when you drop it in. Lets see how Sugar Hill Gangs Apache goes down!!!

going to have a chat with the boys about doing something through owtb .. know any venues that may do it?

White Hart may be handy as it's near the ground and they usually have acts on of an evening? Not sure about anywhere else really.

Would Oldham centre be a bit too much hassle for folk if it's linked to latics and 'after-game'? Could be a pre-place for people going Tokyo project too was my thinking.

Have Lady GaGa lined up for tonight!! I like Poker face ... like you may guess I'm not affraid to mix it up a little. Even the cool kids look a little pop cheese now and then .. it's how / when you drop it in. Lets see how Sugar Hill Gangs Apache goes down!!!

I dropped in Estelle's "American Boy" at an aftershow a month or so back sandwiched inbetween MGMT's "Kids" and The Specials. Went down an absolute storm mate.

Edited by Frankly Mr Shankly