Martin Gray

Martin Gray sacked as Quakers axe staff

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted at 08:45 AM GMT, Thursday, 7th May 2009

Darlington have sacked assistant manager Martin Gray. Quakers' future remains in the balance after an 11th hour bid from Raj Singh hit the buffers. The future now appears bleak for the club with administrators admitting that they have no exit plan to remove the Quakers from administration.

Gray is due to become assistant manager at Oldham next week along with goalkeeping coach Andy Collett. However they were yesterday told that they would be axed along with several other members of staff. But Gray does not blame the administrators, Brackenbury Clark and Co, for the dismissals but is frustrated with the timing of the decision.

"This is not the fault of the administrators, they've done this to try and keep the club alive. They are here to do a job and they've had to make some decisions," said Gray in the Northern Echo.

"They phoned me on Tuesday asking me when I'm going to Oldham. I said I wasn't going to go until next week, the reason being that Dave Penney is out of the country until Monday. He said he might have to terminate my contract straight away. I said, after what I've done for the club over ten years could they have not waited until next week and let me go to Oldham as planned."

"I then got a phone call off him this afternoon. He said he'd had various meetings at the club, he hadn't come to an agreement to take the club any further forward so he had to make a decision to mothball the club. He thanked me for everything I've done, for the charity game and the way I've conducted myself, and said he's going to have to sack me."

"They phoned me on Tuesday asking me when I'm going to Oldham. I said I wasn't going to go until next week, the reason being that Dave Penney is out of the country until Monday. He said he might have to terminate my contract straight away. I said, after what I've done for the club over ten years could they have not waited until next week and let me go to Oldham as planned."

I think that constitutes confirmation of what we'd all been expecting.