For those of you that may be interested I thought i'd give you an update on Factor 50,

the group raising funds for the Malignant Melanoma research team at The Christie.

It's been an interesting, challenging, busy and at times very sad year since we, effectively,

started fundraising with a collection at the Latics v Millwall game last August.

Factor 50 came into being because of the plight of a friend, Jon Herron,

who contracted Malignant Melanoma. He had surgery to remove the primary sites of the

disease but unfortunately it returned and it became apparent he would not win his battle with it.

At this stage we decided that, as The Christie had no dedicated fundraising initiatives

specifically for Malignant Melanoma, we would take up the challenge. When faced with

something like that you either turn your back or do something about it. It wasn't a difficult

choice.

Whilst Jon was battling his condition sadly Ernies returned, which is probably how most

people reading this first came to know about the disease.

The collection at the game raised around £1500 to set us on our way and since then things

have gone from strength to strength.

We now have the support of Formula Ford, whos cars are all running the Factor 50 logo this

year. We also have our first patron, Northern Ireland striker David Healy. Jon was from

Northern Ireland, David was his footballing hero, so his participation is of immense

importance and pride to us.

The Factor 50 fund is currently over £150,000 in less than 12 months fundraising, an amount

that will allow the research team to run a trial that, hopefully, will find a treatment that can,

in future, make sure that people like Jon and Ernie don't succumb to Melanoma.

Thanks to anyone who has helped, supported and donated so far, special mentions to Ruth

Travis who did the London Marathon for us, Jimi T who did the Bupa 10k run, Lauryn Dale

who is Ernies biggest fan and suggested the collection at the Millwall game and bullied

people into donating, including the police.

It doesn't end here, it's merely the end of the beginning. Although we have funded the trial

now it will need continual funds to help it progress, anyone who wishes to help fundraise can

contact us through the website www.factor50.org.uk or mail me on

andyworthington.factor50@google mail.com

Thanks again for any help you may have given, whether you realise it or not that quid you

chucked in a bucket before the Millwall game last year has helped us to be where we are.

Andy

Edited by inspectormorose

Brilliant Andy, hats off to you chaps for all the hard work and effort on your own time over the last 12 months, as you know I know how time consuming things like Factor50 can be. It is to be hoped that the research team can make a breakthrough so that people don't succumb to this terrible condition like Ernie did.

Which brings me to my next point, and I know its been mentioned elsewhere, and for that slapped down with knickers in a twist gusto but wouldn't it have been nice if the chaps doing this 92 grounds thingy could have donated a proportion of funds raised to Factor50, bearing in mind they'll be waving that Ernie flag, the juxtaposition of the two seems to me to make it an obvious idea.

The aim of the 92 in blue is to raise money for a Trust that is founded by a member of the hard working background staff at Latics who lost his own child

and now wishes to help other children with cancer and leukaemia.

The concept behind the Ernie Flag is to continue to raise the profile of the condition Ernie suffered and make people think twice about how easy it can

affect them. The flag is used as a communication vehicle to highlight and make people aware of the disease and not raise money.

We fully support the aims of such charities as The Christie and their appeal-specific fundraising groups, such as Factor 50, and we will continue to do so as research into Malignant Melanoma continues.

Trust Oldham decided that the event on this occasion was supported due to 'historical' links and the Ernie Flag will travel with the team due

to the relationship of the flag and one of the event team members.

We believe that the charity being supported is appropriate and very worthy, all eight of us hope that we can reach our target of collecting £5,000

for the Samantha Jones Trust additionally we will also be looking to raise awareness of Malignant Melanoma by way of the Ernie flag.

We believe that the charity being supported is appropriate and very worthy

Did I say it wasn't? Nope don't think so. It is very worthy, if I'd wanted to query the charity I would have done.

I merely said it would have been a nice gesture to donate a "proportion" to a charity linked with the man who's name is writ loud on the flag, thats all. It seems logical to me.