Ernieflag - New reports and the future

As promised the report from the school visit in Kazakhstan is now available on the Ernieflag website. Our trepid explorer clearly had a lot to report so I have split it up into two reports to make it a bit more manageable. It’s worth sticking with it as it is an excellent report.

Kazakh school visit

I’d also like to take this opportunity to let you know the latest on the future of the flag and the website.

As you know, when we bought the flag last year, we said that we aimed to take the flag to every Oldham and England game for twelve months and do a report on each trip.

I’m delighted that we have achieved that and so much more. To be honest, I feared that people would get bored after a few weeks and it would not happen.

What we never said, was what would happen after that year finished.

We intend to keep taking the flag to as many games as possible and have had a number of requests to keep the reports going. I think the danger in that is that they can become a bit repetitive. I don’t want next season’s report on a trip to Carlisle to be exactly the same as this season.

That said, if people really enjoy reading the reports, it would be good to keep them going.

Our intention, therefore, is to write reports on grounds we haven’t done this season and to invite other fans to write reports on the remaining games which we will happily publish on the site.

If anyone would be interested in writing a report, please PM me and we can arrange who will do which game.

The rules for doing a report are pretty straight forward

1) Remember that it’s a family website

2) Ensure that nothing you report brings the club into disrepute

3) You need to include some photos from the day

4) Editorial rights remain with the webmaster

It’s been a fantastic year and it has been an absolute honour to take the flag in Ernie’s memory. I know some people don’t agree with what we’ve done and think we should have put more energy into fundraising but that was never our aim and I wouldn’t change anything we’ve done (perhaps I’d have taken the photo in Seville a couple of hours earlier). I believe that Louise Cooksey has read the site on a regular basis and taken comfort from it. If that’s true, that’s enough for me. I also know that we’ve raised the profile of malignant melanoma from people I’ve spoken to and messages I’ve received from fans of many different clubs.

• 4 weeks later...
Our intention, therefore, is to write reports on grounds we haven’t done this season and to invite other fans to write reports on the remaining games which we will happily publish on the site.

If anyone would be interested in writing a report, please PM me and we can arrange who will do which game.

Happy for someone new to do the Carlisle report. If not I could do it but not until the Thursday night.

Any volunteers?

As promised the report from the school visit in Kazakhstan is now available on the Ernieflag website. Our trepid explorer clearly had a lot to report so I have split it up into two reports to make it a bit more manageable. It’s worth sticking with it as it is an excellent report.

Kazakh school visit

I’d also like to take this opportunity to let you know the latest on the future of the flag and the website.

As you know, when we bought the flag last year, we said that we aimed to take the flag to every Oldham and England game for twelve months and do a report on each trip.

I’m delighted that we have achieved that and so much more. To be honest, I feared that people would get bored after a few weeks and it would not happen.

What we never said, was what would happen after that year finished.

We intend to keep taking the flag to as many games as possible and have had a number of requests to keep the reports going. I think the danger in that is that they can become a bit repetitive. I don’t want next season’s report on a trip to Carlisle to be exactly the same as this season.

That said, if people really enjoy reading the reports, it would be good to keep them going.

It’s been a fantastic year and it has been an absolute honour to take the flag in Ernie’s memory. I know some people don’t agree with what we’ve done and think we should have put more energy into fundraising but that was never our aim and I wouldn’t change anything we’ve done (perhaps I’d have taken the photo in Seville a couple of hours earlier). I believe that Louise Cooksey has read the site on a regular basis and taken comfort from it. If that’s true, that’s enough for me. I also know that we’ve raised the profile of malignant melanoma from people I’ve spoken to and messages I’ve received from fans of many different clubs.

You heading out for the WC in South Africa?

Kazakh school visit

Finally got round to reading it. I read Mark's post above at work when it was first posted and decided against reading a long report there. Glad I got round to it (thanks to razza for bumping it!). It really is an excellent report. I'm so proud of Oldham Athletic, Ernieflag , and the England fans that go out of there way to give such a good impression of English football supporters.

If you haven't read it yet then do!

One small criticism - if you mention good looking women in the report at least have the decency to show photos!

In answer to Razza'a question, the flag will definitely be in South Africa. I'm not sure yet whether I'll make it or not.

And in answer to Matt's question, I couldn't agree more. I'll have a word with 'Our Man In Kazakhstan' to pass on the views. In the meantime, I assume she's on this photo (although I can't see anyone who quite fit the bill) Women's UEFA Cup Final