Dean Furman interview

Ahh, my Interweb crashes on that site. Any chance of copy and pasting it?

Dean's Furman for Latics

Skysports.com's Alex Dunn catches up with Oldham midfielder Dean Furman

League One Spotlight Posted 26th August 2009

Having been schooled at Chelsea and further educated at Rangers, Dean Furman arrived at Oldham Athletic in the close-season with an impressive pedigree.

Out of contract at Ibrox over the summer the 21-year-old midfielder was offered fresh terms to stay in Glasgow but having had his appetite whetted for first team football during a loan stint at Bradford last season, he opted instead to make the move south.

Such had been his impact at Valley Parade during his sojourn in West Yorkshire, Bantams boss Stuart McCall was convinced he was the player to build his side around.

Unfortunately for McCall the diminutive schemer had also caught the eye of Dave Penney, then Darlington manager, prior to his own move to Oldham.

Having been shown around Boundary Park and assured of the club's ambitious projections for the future, Furman insists he needed little convincing.

"A few things went on behind the scenes at Rangers that I wasn't particularly pleased about," Furman told skysports.com.

"The main reason though was a desire to play regular football and I didn't think I'd get that at Rangers.

"I wanted a chance to play and didn't fancy a season in the reserves this year. When we got in touch with Oldham, met the manager and had a walk around the club, I quickly made up my mind this was where I wanted to be.

Penney influence

"Dave (Penney) is ambitious for the club and I also have a mate at Darlington who has worked with the manager there and says he's top rate. He can bring the best out of players and he's someone I wanted to work with from the off.

"He's helped me loads already and hopefully he'll keep being an influence over the next few years. The manager is up for a laugh with the lads but on the other side, he gets serious when he needs to. You know where you stand."

Furman admits his time at Bradford convinced him he could cope with the physical demands of lower league football in England.

"I think last year got me ready for what it would be like in League One. It was great to have had the schooling I've had at Chelsea and Rangers. Everybody learns from great players, using great facilities, but there comes a time when you need to go and play.

"I didn't have a problem dropping down, moving back to England. It's all part of the experience; it's what football's all about. Going down to these grounds, hostile environments to try and win games under pressure."

Furman was not the only new face to pitch up at Oldham over the summer as the Latics kicked-off their League One campaign with eight debutants against Stockport on August 8. Results so far have been mixed and while conceding more points should have been put on the board, Furman is confident that given time, patience and a lot of hard work on the training ground, a promotion push should not be beyond them.

"Obviously a lot of new players have come in over the summer so it is going to take time for everything to settle and gel. Although results have been mixed, there have been some encouraging signs.

"We all want the results as soon as possible, we all want to get the wins to kick things off, but to go away from home at Leyton Orient and to get three points was really good for us. We've got a game plan and the manager wants us to play in a certain way. Slowly it's all starting to come together and the results should arrive sooner rather than later."

Culture shock

While Furman has earned a reputation for being a cultured passer of a football, who likes to get forward, the South African accepts he'll have to earn the right to play first. League One is not a division known to offer young playmakers a stage to flourish but alongside the steely Jon Worthington - another new face - Furman is beginning to show glimpses of real quality.

He added: "At times it's going to get physical but that's something we all know. There are times when we'll have to dig in and be strong, but they'll also be times when we can get the ball down and play and I think that's when the quality we've got will come in.

"There are a lot of good players here, I'm confident about the quality we have. Win the battle first and then hopefully the quality will shine through.

"I like to get on the ball as much as I can and try to create opportunities for my team-mates. That's something I'm aiming to do for the team this season, while it's also important that I get forward and get my share of goals. I think if we can chip in from all areas of the pitch it'll be good for the team.

"Me and Worthy have teamed up well so far. We both like to get stuck in, Worthy loves a tackle, but then on the other side, we both like to play. We complement each quite well. We've got an understanding that when one goes forward the other will drop back and sit. It's been really enjoyable to play alongside him and with him loving the battle too, there's certainly no problem in that respect."

Gaining promotion to the Championship has arguably never been tougher with six former Premier League clubs, Oldham amongst them, currently plying their trade in English football's third tier. While accepting Oldham cannot compete on a financial footing with some of their rivals, he speaks of a promotion challenge with relish.

"We'd like to be as high up the league as possible. Obviously there are a lot of good teams in the division and we'll be competing with them," he added.

"There's a few clubs spending a lot of money in this league but once we cross the white line it's a case of 11 versus 11.

"We think we can hold our own against anyone and there's no reason why we should go into any game fearing anyone.

"I'd like to think we can be challenging for the Championship, even if the budgets here aren't at the level as elsewhere. In the next few years I don't see any reason why we can't get promoted."

WC dream

While Furman insists helping Oldham to promotion is his primary objective he concedes that as a proud South African, this summer's World Cup is also praying on his mind. While he has yet to win his first cap for his country Furman has been called up to the South Africa squad before and should he have a decent campaign at Oldham, would be in contention to figure on the world's greatest stage.

Furman, born in Cape Town, moved to England when still a child but retains a strong sense of his identity and heritage via his South African parents.

"It would be a great honour; it's the country of my birth. I was born in Cape Town and moved over when I was five. To be involved in the squad at the end of last year was a great experience for me but to be involved in any World Cup would be great. To be involved with the host nation would be a great honour for me and my family."

An eloquent speaker who has none of the bravado that often accompanies players who have dropped from the summit to less glamorous surrounds, Furman speaks of his homeland and their World Cup plans with an infectious enthusiasm.

"It will be unbelievable for the country, not only with the new stadiums that are being built but also for things like transport, which has been improved massively.

"The trains and the roads have all been handed a shot in the arm and that's a massive boost for the country. The World Cup generates huge amounts of money and I think it's a massive thing for an African nation to host it and hopefully, all being well, it'll be a big success.

"When I was with the squad I was impressed with a number of the players. All you had to do was look at the Confederations Cup and we were close to beating Spain and did very well against Brazil. We'll be an unfancied nation at the World Cup but might just be a surprise package.

Surprise package

"There are some really good players and being a country outside of Europe they're not as well known, so maybe they'll cause an upset. You've got your Premiership players, Steven Pienaar, Benni McCarthy and Aaron Mokoena but then there are good players still in South Africa.

"There is a guy out there called Teko Modise, who looks like a very good player with a very bright future. I think it's really good that an African nation has been awarded the WC and now they'll have to prove to the world that they can handle it."

Keen to play down the safety concerns that some Western media have focused on in the build-up to the finals, Furman insists that South Africa have shown in the past they are ready for a tournament of such magnitude.

"We've hosted the cricket WC before, we've had the Rugby WC and handled it, so I'm sure it will be a success. I think the press always put a negative spin on a lot of things.

"The safety issues out there are very important. I'm sure though that when the time comes they'll have the right policing and safety measures in place. I'm confident it will be a safe and positive World Cup."

"A few things went on behind the scenes at Rangers that I wasn't particularly pleased about," Furman told skysports.com.

Good to know that he isn't a fan of the anal rape of adolescent male goats, whose heads are being forced inch by inch into the mouths of anacondas. Whilst hordes of masked deformed freaks swarm around performing lewd dances and Dave Murray taps his staff from his dark throne, and Barry Ferguson kneels by his feet muttering curses and trying to eat his own feet. Whilst a heavy waft of burning sulphur and brimstone wafts across the air. And the Four Horsemen ride in, before deciding that they don't like the look of it and turning back. And Jamie Oliver turns up with a bag of goodies he bought from his mate down the local deli to cook for the after-party for Mick Hucknall and Blunt after their joint gig.

Good to know that he isn't a fan of the anal rape of adolescent male goats, whose heads are being forced inch by inch into the mouths of anacondas. Whilst hordes of masked deformed freaks swarm around performing lewd dances and Dave Murray taps his staff from his dark throne, and Barry Ferguson kneels by his feet muttering curses and trying to eat his own feet. Whilst a heavy waft of burning sulphur and brimstone wafts across the air. And the Four Horsemen ride in, before deciding that they don't like the look of it and turning back. And Jamie Oliver turns up with a bag of goodies he bought from his mate down the local deli to cook for the after-party for Mick Hucknall and Blunt after their joint gig.

:applause1::laught16::laught30::sign0173: