This seasons performances have really been dire?

OK OK, a serious thread for a change. I've not been this season and my previous threads were just fun.

My threads are now coming to life though. They were criticised as being laughable but now people are saying exactly the same things.

Have the performances really been bad enough to warrant doubts about Penney already?

I am not joining the 'Penney out' moped (rather than bandwaggon).

In response to your question, there have only been fleeting glimpses of good football so far this season, but hoofball has been evident to a degree that would have embarrassed Ronnie Moore in his prime. Not to mention the apparent lack of effort to cure the 'Chuckle Brothers' affliction in the defence.

It looks like the revolving door at BP has been given a touch of WD-40, and I can understand the jury being indecisive at the moment.

Edited by Diego_Sideburns

Stockport - played ok, should have won.

Swindon - controlled much of the game, should have won.

Based on what I've seen, grounds for optimism and belief.

Orient and Brentford performances were apparently decent, a bit unlucky to lose at Millwall. Beaten late on at Carlisle.

Didn't go last night - but based on reports Latics fans could do with taking a leaf out of Accy's fans' book and united in a wave of positivity behind their team for the next few weeks.

Yup, we need to turn draws in to wins, but I think we have a manager who will get that out of his players.

How about the players? You all know my opinions of mercenaries stealing a living but are there any players who look like they might have something, no matter how small. From what I read, Abbott sounds like the only one. Blackman is a loan signing so I'm not counting him. I'm talking about players who have signed permanently.

How about the players? You all know my opinions of mercenaries stealing a living but are there any players who look like they might have something, no matter how small. From what I read, Abbott sounds like the only one. Blackman is a loan signing so I'm not counting him. I'm talking about players who have signed permanently.

Abbott for me is the problem as he is so good at hold up play and in the air, its lazy play by the defence to hoof it in the direction of Abbott

We have to take it into account Taylor isn't at 100% at the moment and we haven't been able to select Smalley or Purdie yet so we have had no natural width in midfield in any games so far and I think the forwards have struggled because of it.

We have also had a lot of changes and I think it does take time for the squad/team to settle. That squad is built on very little money so you cant expect us to be winning every game. We have also have played some decent teams so far, Brentford came up but have added a lot of players, Millwall are a very strong team, Swindon are much improved on last year. Yes we should have beaten Stockport and Accrington but I do think we need to wait untill January before we make any real judgements on both Penny and the team.

Looking back at the games I've seen so far, the only outright poor team performance was the second half against Accrington.

Of the games I missed, I'm told we were pretty decent at Orient and Brentford. Looking at the fixtures, you'd surely be happy with 4 points from those two.

We're conceding too many poor goals and not converting anywhere near enough of our chances ... two elements of our game that I expect us to improve on as the season progresses and the players get to know each other better. We desperately, desperately need that home win - and opportunities will not come much better than tomorrow, Hartlepool have had a poor start.