Taggart backs Eduardo ban

So Rooney is such an honest player he will never dive. Someone explain to me how he hasn't been pulled up for diving to get the pen against Arsenal. He gave it the full Jurgen well before any contact. Honest as the days long that bloke.

I think Rooney is an honest player. And that pen against Arsenal was an absolute stonewall pen. Yes you can suggest he was already on his way down, but if anything I suspect that was in anticipation of the inevitable hit... there's no way Almunia should have gone racing out like that - something Wenger has implied himself.

The picture in that link is superb!

I think Ronaldo reduced his diving quite significantly over the last couple of seasons.

Might not be trendy to say, but I think Fergie was an influence behind that.

I agree. One on saying he agrees, the other doesnt, the one in the middle couldnt care less :lol:

I think Rooney is an honest player. And that pen against Arsenal was an absolute stonewall pen. Yes you can suggest he was already on his way down, but if anything I suspect that was in anticipation of the inevitable hit... there's no way Almunia should have gone racing out like that - something Wenger has implied himself.

He is not and there's plenty of footage knocking about that shows he dives.

Similar to Torres saying he does not dive because Stevie Me doesn't like it. Join in Fernando, Stevie's always doing it.

OK. I could accept that argument. But couldn't the same be said for Eduardo? The goalkeeper comes flying out. He expects to get a clattering. Mindful of his recent broken leg, he dives to avoid it? Its possible? Surely enough doubt to escape a ridiculous 2 game ban for at worst a yellow card incident. If uefa/fifa and the rest want to cut out "simulation", surely there needs to be some kind of campaign before a ball is kicked, not retrospectively?

If a goalkeeper comes rushing out and fails to make contact with the ball he is inviting the player to go down. If it is deemed as a dive then surely any other player that starts to go down before contact has "dived" also.

But couldn't the same be said for Eduardo?

Yep. Which is why this two match ban is ridiculous. I do not see how Eduardo's dive can be judged to be entirely 'simulation'. At least part of it - perhaps with his injury still at the forefront of his mind - could easily be seen as self-preservation.

Interestingly, if you read the article further, having said "something had to be done", Fergie goes on to agree with Wenger on everything else - i.e. he'd have reacted the same way Arsene did to protect his player.

I've listened to countless radio debates about simulation/diving/cheating and I've concluded that this category applies when there is no contact whatsoever as with the Arsenal player who Wenger subbed as soon as he did it last weekend. If there is even the slightest contact e.g. Eduardo, then it's in the gamesmanship category, still dishonest but the sort of thing professionals do. I've seen Chris Taylor guilty of offences in both categories.

What has amazed me in all the debates is that Torres' dive for Liverpool last Saturday, with no contact whatsoever, has gone unmentioned by all the 'experts'. It was not referred to at all in the post-match analysis on MOTD.

OK, I'm ABU, but I don't favour Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea etc, and I cannot believe the Torres should be 'untouched' by the media over that incident.

P'S. Off to Notts County now to watch Lee Hughes against the Brewers. I won't get on his back.......

unless he's guilty in the above categories!

Not seen it but was listening to the Radio 5 commentry. From what they said, the one person in the ground most surprised that a penalty was given (except maybe for the defender) was Rooney himself. Certainly no hint of dive or gamesmanship, just a terrible refereeing decision on what the commentators generally agreed was a foul by Rooney. An honest foul, obviously. :wink:

Not seen it but was listening to the Radio 5 commentry. From what they said, the one person in the ground most surprised that a penalty was given (except maybe for the defender) was Rooney himself. Certainly no hint of dive or gamesmanship, just a terrible refereeing decision on what the commentators generally agreed was a foul by Rooney. An honest foul, obviously. :wink:

Can't say that. Rooney expected a foul by his slamming of his fists. Wasn't a foul though.

I agree with Colin on this one. Two game ban, load of bollocks. Ban them for six games, that'll stop 'em. Messi would never play again.

...about simulation/diving/cheating ... I've concluded that this category applies when there is no contact whatsoever as with the Arsenal player who Wenger subbed as soon as he did it last weekend. If there is even the slightest contact e.g. Eduardo, then it's in the gamesmanship category, still dishonest but the sort of thing professionals do. I've seen Chris Taylor guilty of offences in both categories.

Eduardo's two game ban has bee rescinded by UEFA, on the basis that he did not con the ref. There was contact and the ref interpreted that as a penalty.

Taggart will not be happy.

Indeed. And quite inaccurately so if you actually read beyond the headline of the original article.

He said "something has to be done" or somesuch, but then wholeheartedly backed Wenger appealing.

Yeah, Taggart supported the way Wenger had dealt with the situation.

The article said:

He added: "I agree with Arsene, I would ask the same question 'is it going to happen to everyone?'

"You become insular and protective of your own player and own team, we're all selfish that way.

"I would have been saying 'what about all the rest of the players?'.

"But I wouldn't have been pleased if my player had done that.

"I wouldn't say it publicly though, because when you do that you're in danger of losing the morale of the dressing room.

"Privately, as I've done many times, you have a different view, but I wouldn't do it publicly."

However the article is accurate by referring ito Taggart backing Uefa's decision to ban Eduardo for two Champions League matches for diving. Therefore it follows that he will not be happy for the ban being rescinded for what Taggart considered was an offence worthy of the original ban.