Here's the REALITY of our situation....

We're a couple on central defenders short and a Chris Taylor. When Taylor comes back we'll have a lot more of an attacking threat.

Like most on here I wish Fleming was here and hope that we could get him back before the end of the season (can we? if someone can explain the regulations on recalls it'd be much appreciated). Brill has made a few clangers, but our fans haven't done any favours to his confidence.

Taylor is an awesome winger, one who I thought was very, very overrated until last season, when he comes back we'll be much better, attacking wise. His running at defenders and general play out wide will see us create a lot more chances in the final third as well as see Taylor himself chip in with a few goals as he always does.

Parker made some great runs tonight, the one ball that he benefited from he put wide, it happens. Unlucky. Not as bad as people are making out.

Colbeck didn't look great, but he didn't look bad by any means, he did well enough to make me think he could be a good winger for us, him and Taylor on the wings could do us a job.

We need two central defenders, give Penney the chance to bring two in on loan and we'll be fine.

No worries. People calling for Penney's head already? Píss off...simple, you're as thick as pig shít, that goes to anyone who's calling for Penney's head, you haven't got a clue about football, píss off and support United. Right now. Because you're a disgrace and that comes from the heart. I WANT you to take offence to that, because your judgement is abysmal. You don't have a clue about League One football.

We're not looking like a good team but after 20 games we might look like a playoff contending team, then again we might look like a top 11 League one team (something I'd be happy with for this season).

Those who were chanting for Sheridan, was that any worse that Bristol Rovers at home last season? Any worse than Colchester at home? Was it fook. Might have been just as bad, but Shez had 2 and half years to produce that, Penney has had 6 games.

That's the reality.

Edited by Bring Back Pukka Pies

Right yeah taylor is injured....... what are we another liverpool. we are/should not be a team besed around 1 player. our team should buck there arses up quickly or theyll get penney the sack. (hope not we need to give our manager the time unlike most of our other managers!!!!).

Right yeah taylor is injured....... what are we another liverpool. we are/should not be a team besed around 1 player. our team should buck there arses up quickly or theyll get penney the sack. (hope not we need to give our manager the time unlike most of our other managers!!!!).

One man can make the difference in this division.

Where would Leeds be without Beckfords goals?

Who are we gonna get to replace Penney?

Shez and Ritchie please!!

We're a couple on central defenders short and a Chris Taylor. When Taylor comes back we'll have a lot more of an attacking threat.

Like most on here I wish Fleming was here and hope that we could get him back before the end of the season (can we? if someone can explain the regulations on recalls it'd be much appreciated). Brill has made a few clangers, but our fans haven't done any favours to his confidence.

Taylor is an awesome winger, one who I thought was very, very overrated until last season, when he comes back we'll be much better, attacking wise. His running at defenders and general play out wide will see us create a lot more chances in the final third as well as see Taylor himself chip in with a few goals as he always does.

Parker made some great runs tonight, the one ball that he benefited from he put wide, it happens. Unlucky. Not as bad as people are making out.

Colbeck didn't look great, but he didn't look bad by any means, he did well enough to make me think he could be a good winger for us, him and Taylor on the wings could do us a job.

We need two central defenders, give Penney the chance to bring two in on loan and we'll be fine.

No worries. People calling for Penney's head already? Píss off...simple, you're as thick as pig shít, that goes to anyone who's calling for Penney's head, you haven't got a clue about football, píss off and support United. Right now. Because you're a disgrace and that comes from the heart. I WANT you to take offence to that, because your judgement is abysmal. You don't have a clue about League One football.

We're not looking like a good team but after 20 games we might look like a playoff contending team, then again we might look like a top 11 League one team (something I'd be happy with for this season).

Those who were chanting for Sheridan, was that any worse that Bristol Rovers at home last season? Any worse than Colchester at home? Was it fook. Might have been just as bad, but Shez had 2 and half years to produce that, Penney has had 6 games.

That's the reality.

People are also forgetting we are without Purdie and Jacobson as well. JJ looked good in pre season and although others felt he was pretty good today, I didn't rate Sheehan at all (difficult to judge amongst that crock of :censored: though). He didn't make any big mistakes but his choice of pass for me was pretty poor.So we are without what i would assume is our first choice left back and a player that can cover all sorts of positions and comes with rave reviews from the Darlo fans. I think he was intended to be a key player for us and we have had to be without him since day one.

I agree about Parker, nothing spectacular yet but nothing like as bad as people are saying. He does make some good runs and he has won us some dangerouse free kicks by pulling wide and spinning past his man (twice tonight alone). Hasn't done himself any favours by missing a few sitters, but that happens, when he gets one he will gain confidence. Ridiculous the abuse he is getting, one guy in the RRE stood up and gave him a whole load of abuse ending in calling him a 'useless, Scottish c***', this was followed immediately by him and his friends chanting 'loyal supporters' with the rest of the bozos in that stand, i hope the irony wasn't lost on them.

Personally I would like to see us play Lee and Furman in the centre. Now people will say they will get bullied, but Furman is far from scared to put his foot in and the thing we are lacking more than anything for me is players who WANT posession. That's why we missed Wellens so much when he was injured or suspended, it changes everything when suddenly there is no one coming towards the man in possession and asking for it all the time. Lee is good in possession and his movement's great, Furman can sit a little deeper and be a bit more of a yard dog whilst still bring his obvious quality. Before anyone starts, Lee isn't our saviour, i know that but he's a bloody good footballer and I think we could pass teams off the pitch with a midfield that actually wants the ball and knows how to 'take care of it' as Shez would say.

"Brill has made a few clangers, but our fans haven't done any favours to his confidence"

The guy is a seasoned pro and a grown man.

He made plenty of clangers before last night when fans got stuck into him.

He'd be happy enough to accept the plaudits if he was playing well, so certainly should be able take stick when he's the culprit for blunder after blunder. It's a two way street.

He's the Massimo Taibi (spelling?) of League One. Only we don't have the resources to just get shut like United did.

I'd love him to prove me and everyone else wrong by sticking two fingers up and turning it round, like a real pro should. But I just don't think it's going to happen quick enough. How many goals is he - and the rest of side - going to cost us before they do so???

we got allot of problems atm injuries a virus but the obv bad spot is the keeper and the 2 centre back's not closing down at times giving to much space or as in hazles case to relaxed instead of chasing the ball down and getting rid of it he jogs while under pressure slips or does somthing stupid then gives them a great chance to score.

greegen just cant seem to close anyone down or block a shot, the goally is dire this guy doesnt need confidence as from day one he has been gash he needs basic goal keeping skills he cant setup a wall in defence then decides to stand as close to the post as possible leaving the hole net open, he did the same last week and he did it twice lastnight but thay missed there secound chance not saying he would have got there for the first freekick but would have had a better chance in the correct possition.

sort them places out and the team as a hole will get confidence.

It looks like Brill will be the Oldham keeper for the forseeable future. So how do you get the best out of him? By slagging him off, berating him and calling him a clown? Immediately he would become defensive. Try to apportion blame on others. Retreat into his shell and lose any confidence he has. Or do you try another approach? Work at building up his confidence. Supporting him. Give him a chance. In this atmosphere, maybe he'll look at his own shortfalls and work hard at resolving them, rather than waste time trying to defend himself. I know which approach I would use.

It looks like Brill will be the Oldham keeper for the forseeable future. So how do you get the best out of him? By slagging him off, berating him and calling him a clown? Immediately he would become defensive. Try to apportion blame on others. Retreat into his shell and lose any confidence he has. Or do you try another approach? Work at building up his confidence. Supporting him. Give him a chance. In this atmosphere, maybe he'll look at his own shortfalls and work hard at resolving them, rather than waste time trying to defend himself. I know which approach I would use.

everytime he feks up he holds his arms out like its not him that fooked up he doesnt learn he isnt some kid and if he carries on playing will do more halm than good.

cant setup a wall for freekicks

cant get in a correct possition for freekicks

cant kick a ball

cant come out for corners to punch or catch a ball

likes to blame everyone but him for his mistakes

but nah we should support him everytime he feks up give him a big well done cheer celebrate build a statue of him outside the ground maybe start a brill religion.

or just tell him exactly wat everyone else is thinking and not be a black sheep id think diffrent if it was some young kid then i would support but he isnt and needs to know he cant get away with it.

everytime he feks up he holds his arms out like its not him that fooked up he doesnt learn he isnt some kid and if he carries on playing will do more halm than good.

cant kick a ball

but nah we should support him everytime he feks up give him a big well done cheer celebrate build a statue of him outside the ground maybe start a brill religion.

or just tell him exactly wat everyone else is thinking and not be a black sheep id think diffrent if it was some young kid then i would support but he isnt and needs to know he cant get away with it.

Seriously, invest in some sort of spell checker.

Brill is all we've got, you do realise that? For that reason telling him how :censored: you think he is really isn't going to help him come the next game.

"Brill has made a few clangers, but our fans haven't done any favours to his confidence"

The guy is a seasoned pro and a grown man.

He made plenty of clangers before last night when fans got stuck into him.

He'd be happy enough to accept the plaudits if he was playing well, so certainly should be able take stick when he's the culprit for blunder after blunder. It's a two way street.

He's the Massimo Taibi (spelling?) of League One. Only we don't have the resources to just get shut like United did.

I'd love him to prove me and everyone else wrong by sticking two fingers up and turning it round, like a real pro should. But I just don't think it's going to happen quick enough. How many goals is he - and the rest of side - going to cost us before they do so???

Stick is one thing, the abuse he had to put up with last night is another

Seriously, invest in some sort of spell checker.

Brill is all we've got, you do realise that? For that reason telling him how :censored: you think he is really isn't going to help him come the next game.

give the kid a chance id rather him make mistakes then not so brill

That's the reality.

Have to agree that we are missing players and when we get our squad back to full or near strength we will be more of a threat. But last night was like watching a team 11 strangers. Hartlepool played well as a team and got men behind the ball when they needed to and as usual, as was the problem under sheridan, our solution to this was to run into the wall of players and lose the ball. We looked really poor in the air for the first time this season as well and really struggled to keep possession. We are going to be able to compete in this league because of our work ethic DP? didn't see any evidence of that last night.... only 5 minutes in the second half when blackman came on, but then when we had to defend it all went wrong then didn't it. No wonder the attack can't be arsed when we EXPECT our defence to ship 3/4 goals a game. But we are unable to defend as a team, when defending it just looks like we go into a blind panic.

But the fact that DP has had all pre season to see that our 2 CBs and GK arn't up to the job and not to bring in any cover whatsoever is really worrying. Not bringing in another keeper AT ALL for competition is more than worrying.... its amateur.... its stupidity. What the hell is he doing pi**ing about bringing in fullbacks ? WE DONT NEED MORE F**KING FULLBACKS so what does he do on transfer deadline day? FOR F**KS SAKE ! We have enough cover at fullback as it is and it isn't an area where we have looked weak AT ALL. Jacobson, Lomax, Holdsworth, Purdie, :censored: and now Sheehan... I know he will class some of them as utility players but we dont need any more utility players, we need a defence and a keeper.

On positive note parker actually looked like he had responded to the criticism hes been getting and put a bit of effort in last night, not that it mattered much with the s**t we played last night.

DP needs to bring some players in on emergency loan or play the kids. No way in hell can they be as bad as we saw last night and will at least play with a bit of heart.

Our home form has been dire since they knocked down the lookers and moved home fans into the RRE. TTA may have saved the club years ago.... I won't say the direction i think they are taking it in now....

Edited by cmr

Where would Latics have been without Lee Hughes' goals last season?

have we got a back up keeper if he gets injured, or will penney play in goal. :huh:

cant kick a ball

That post sums up why I don't post on here more often. You're so negative and sarcastic that it's repulsive in some ways. I wonder if, in time, when Brill does pull off a decent save, whether you'll cheer him then? As Senor_Coconut said, he's all we've got at the moment, so we really ought to get behind him. If you can't do that, at least don't point out his every fault, or jeer his every touch with sarcasm like many did last night.

If Ollerenshaw was ready I'm sure he'd have had his chance, I'm not for one second saying Josh isn't a good young keeper, I've only ever seen him against Sheff Wed in that friendly a few seasons back when he replaced Crossley, but at the moment the REALITY is that Brill is our only experienced goalkeeper and should be supported.

If we put Ollerenshaw in net for a few games and he made a few mistakes, what would be the reaction then? Sarcastic jeers and boos and insults being thrown at an 18 year old lad? With the abuse our fans dish out it's no bloody wonder we haven't given him a chance.

Brill is our first choice keeper at the moment, I highly doubt it will change until someone's brought in either on loan, or permanently come January. Yes he's made mistakes, and I highly doubt Dean's delighed with them. His confidence is probably rock bottom now and all this abuse isn't gonna help him. Either support him, or don't, that's everyones choice.

I don't care if you want to moan about him making a mistake, but singling him out amongst all the other underperformers last night, in the way some fans did, was awful.

I don't care about the money some of these so called 'fans' bring to the club, I'd rather a lot of them stayed at home. If it means we struggle even more, at least we'll struggle without morons jeering every touch our goalkeeper gets, or abusing every other mistake we make with the words 'tw*t' 'cu*t' and 'basta*d' thrown in at the end to top it off.

At the end of the day, the true reality of it all is that we're a League One club, we should expect League One performances, that includes the poor league one performances that every club suffers at some point in a season. I'm confident that there'll be away days where we see off a team confidently by 3 goals. Things can, and probably will, come good at some point.

Yesterday was the worst performance of the season granted, and now the next few games will need the team to stand up and be counted. At least give them a proper chance to, without jeering their every touch with sarcastic cheers, or a torrent of abuse mixed with numerous insults every time a pass goes astray. Hartlepool's fans must have wondered where we got half of our fans from last night.

Call me stupid, call me over confident, call me whatever. There's a key part of the word supporter, and as bad as the performances have been of late, I'd like people to start realizing what the word support means, or don't bother coming and ruining it for other fans.