Eardley

Didn't he leave because Joe wanted him to play at the back?

That rings a bell. I think the trouble was Marshall had got the taste for playing up front, whereas Joe felt his best position for the benefit of the team at that time was still at the back, despite being the one to stick him up front to begin with.

Favourite ever quote from an opposition fan was walking down Broadway after the 1989/90 FA Cup 3-0 win over Aston Villa. Two Villains in front of me, one says to his mate, "I've seen a few donkeys in my time but never a piggin' camel."

......... And no I don't think he'd have made a makeshift striker; defensive midfielder maybe but not a striker. Even as a defender Ian Marshall had an unmistakeable eye for goal - it's a knack that some players seem to have naturally and is difficult to learn.

I did wonder this myself on a number of occasions, but I remember him playing left wing against Blackpool at Bloomfield Road once over and it was pitiful. Poor bugger didn't have a bloody clue where to stand/run etc.