My thoughts on today

A game of two halves if ever there was one. We outplayed them quite convincingly in the first half and were deservedly ahead at half time, and really should have had more with the amount of the ball we had. I thought Udders were poor throughout and were made to look more effective by a strange display by the Tics in the second half.

We were pretty lacklustre after the break but still looked the most likely to score, with a Paul Warne one-on-one with the keeper particularly memorable which he really should have put away. Glombard came on for Taylor in the 73rd minute and looked quite bright, with Warne moving to the right wing to accommodate him. Taylor had a blinding first half but was a nonentity in the second and was rightly subbed.

The Beckett equaliser looked like rubbish defending from the Chaddy End but I'll wait and see the goal on TV tomorrow before I make my mind up. Udders did have a better second half and they would probably feel it was a fair result. I think we should have won, simple as.

Finally, I think this will be remembered as our last chance to nick an auto spot. Forest lost, Brizzle drew with Swansea, and the Lashers won and are now level on points with us, although our goal difference keeps us in 4th spot.

Edited by tactically_naive

I think we should have won, simple as.

Finally, I think this will be remembered as our last chance to nick an auto spot. Forest lost, Brizzle drew with Swansea, and the Lashers won and are now level on points with us, although our goal difference keeps us in 4th spot.

It felt like a loss today. We are too lightweight in midfield - something (in pure BB80 style) I've thought for a while but how can a promotion side not be able to automatically pick the midfield? Wellens is the only name always there - the other space is Macca/Rocky/Roque. I'm unsure of the benefit of 2 wide midfielders - they are on the pitch but don't put the balls in to the box and we are left short in the centre where we can't hold the ball. I thought today we could have done with one wide player and 3 in the middle - even when Taylor went off we didn't improve.

Too many questions in midfield and up front.....

We were pretty lacklustre after the break but still looked the most likely to score, with a Paul Warne one-on-one with the keeper particularly memorable which he really should have put away. Glombard came on for Taylor in the 73rd minute and looked quite bright, with Warne moving to the right wing to accommodate him. Taylor had a blinding first half but was a nonentity in the second and was rightly subbed.

Porter also missed a header which looked a real chance for someone of his aerial threat. Another chance fell to Richie at the back post, thought he could of done better.

The Beckett equaliser looked like rubbish defending from the Chaddy End but I'll wait and see the goal on TV tomorrow before I make my mind up

Well, a simple cross and header across goal which fell to Beckett. A typical Beckett goal some may say.

Thought Glombard looked a threat everytime he got the ball, looks a very good player. Sheridan finally switched Taylor to the right for a period in the game, from then on like you said, he hardly touched the ball. Not really showing himself like he did in the first half and with options such as Glombard on the bench it has to be 100% from start to finish.

our last chance to nick an auto spot

Agreed.

Am I alone in saying that there are far too many high balls and not enough ground passes? :mmm: Not that long ago we seemed to have this down to a tee, but now we are nearing the end of the season all this seems to have been forgotten now that the points really matter. We cannot let up now, especially with the matches against the lower league Bradford and Cheltenham looming. Six easy points we should get! :comeon:

Guest jet_dd34

My thoughts exactly, too much hoof. Is Ronnie back? Really disappointed with the second half, but, we should have had it won by then. Typical Beckett goal, after Shez will have drummed it into the players what to look out for! A BIG 2pts dropped when we could have gained on Forest and Brizzle. If things go against us on Monday, we could be looking at a few tense games. ALL our remaining games are winnable, we just have to believe it!

Does anybody know how Porter's knee is? Injury or cramp after being out of action?

My thoughts exactly, too much hoof. Is Ronnie back? Really disappointed with the second half, but, we should have had it won by then. Typical Beckett goal, after Shez will have drummed it into the players what to look out for! A BIG 2pts dropped when we could have gained on Forest and Brizzle. If things go against us on Monday, we could be looking at a few tense games. ALL our remaining games are winnable, we just have to believe it!

Does anybody know how Porter's knee is? Injury or cramp after being out of action?

Yep, big game on Monday, we have to prey on Bradfords all round weaknesses and lack of confidence. But, you know the Latics!!!! :blink:

I think it might be time to drop Warne, so long as Porter is fit then I think next game we should start with Glombard and Porter upfront. He's not scored since Millwall in mid feb. For any other striker to have ever played for us the fans would be calling for his head. It's not like he's not had the chances to score. Can't fault him for effort and passion but he needs to be scoring more often.

I think it might be time to drop Warne, so long as Porter is fit then I think next game we should start with Glombard and Porter upfront. He's not scored since Millwall in mid feb. For any other striker to have ever played for us the fans would be calling for his head. It's not like he's not had the chances to score. Can't fault him for effort and passion but he needs to be scoring more often.

agree with giving glombard a try from the start,porter should have come off after 10 mins of second half as he was struggling,now it looks like keeping him on longer has aggravated his knee again.

as for the hoof ball,they only went direct once beckett had scored,the majority of the game was passing and on the floor,once they realised we had to win it they went direct,isnt pretty but no point in messing around in midfield when it has to get into the back of the net.

Porter or no Porter, if he can't learn to stay 'onside' then he's not going to score.

Fair enough Warne should have scored his one-on-one but when only Sir Paul of Warne and King Richie of Wellens have good games then it doesn't say much for the rest of the team.

Yesterday's game was the first one I'd been to in about 3 or 4, due to work and college commitments and the way we gave away those two precious, precious points made me wish that I hadn't bothered going.

I've now got that horrible feeling that we're going to blow it, behind the Lashers and out of the playoffs altogether.

Which would be a double kick in the face.

<_<

We need to be going into the playoffs on a high, not struggling to scrape into the top 6.

Ranting.

Damn.

Keep the Faith

I would also like to state, however contentious this may be, that I never rated Porter, and never will.

Not enough effort and doesn't seem to understand the term offside.

He scored, but I, along with half the Chaddy End could have scored his chance.

Keep the Faith

Theres a little too much negativity on here I reckon. On another day we would have scored three or four. Okay in the second half we weren't great and didnt create much after the equaliser. But Hudds scored with one of their few chances of the entire game! Chris Taylor was ripped them apart in the first half, Wellens and Gregan were awesome all game and Glombard will be useful coming off the bench. Other results weren't too bad for us either, we lost any chance of auto a couple of weeks ago IMO. Six points above seventh with five games to play all against teams in the bottom half and the strongest squad we've had all season. Things are not looking that bad!!

Guest oa_exile
Theres a little too much negativity on here I reckon

Think your missing the point here , we need to finish 3rd or 4th , Forest lost , Yeovil lost , Lashers won.

We needed three points yesterday and failed against a team we battered 0:3 away !

On another day we would have scored three or four

But we didnt when it mattered yesterday !

We now MUST win tomorrow to keep the 3rd or 4th spot .......... Lashers hot on our tail !

Tomorrow isnt a Must win game.

We need a couple of points. Possibly 3/4 to clinch a playoff spot. 3rd or 4th would be nice, so we get the 2nd leg at home, but it's not the major factor. Get in the playoffs either way. If your scared of facing a side in the playoffs, then we may as well just not reach them. It doesnt matter who we play, as we'll have to possibly beat any two from three in there to get up so it's not a major factor were we finish.

Being at home 2nd leg, is an advantage but doesnt mean you will win and go through. I've seen Rochdale have the 2nd leg at home, and get home, and it is just as big a kick in the teeth than losing away is. It just means you dont have a long journey home.

I couldnt care if we lose tomorrow. We've got Cheltenham the week after at BP, and I do believe 3 points against them, or any one of the 5 remaining games, will be enough to get us a playoff spot.

Lose tomorrow, and at worst, we've still got a playoff position and a nice 3 points gap, wih a more than likely superior goal difference

Coca-Cola Football League One

Blackpool v Northampton, 15:00

Bournemouth v Swansea, 15:00

Brentford v Nottm Forest, 15:00

Bristol City v Yeovil, 15:00

Chesterfield v Gillingham, 15:00

Oldham v Cheltenham, 15:00

Rotherham v Carlisle, 15:00

Swansea, Yeovil and Carlisle all away.

Saturday, 21 April 2007

Carlisle v Bristol City, 15:00

Cheltenham v Blackpool, 15:00

Crewe v Oldham, 15:00

Nottm Forest v Bournemouth, 15:00

Swansea v Brighton, 15:00

Yeovil v Rotherham, 15:00

Look towards next fixtures, and look who's playing, and a defeat tomorrow wouldnt be the end of it all. Yes the likes of Forest, Carlisle, Swansea and Yeovil have home games they should win, but didnt we say that against Bournemouth and Millwall ourselves? If any, we have the easier set of fixtures than the likes of the one's chasing us.

I'm pretty tired of the amount of negativity floating about. We're in the playoffs for frig sake. Enjoy it. It doesnt happen to us often.

Guest oa_exile
I'm pretty tired of the amount of negativity floating about. We're in the playoffs for frig sake. Enjoy it. It doesnt happen to us often.

And where is the negativity ? , yes we are in a play off position , yes we will be in the play off's but NOT if we keep throwing points away !

Yesterday was a game we should have won, then the pressure would have been off for tomorrow

Cheltenham win , Crewe draw .............. three points are a home win and 1 for an away draw.

Dont want to go to Brighton needing a result ........ now that would be negative !

I dont understand this having a go at porter rubbish...some Oldham fans will never be happy FFS the man has got 20 goals this season and without him here we would not be in the playoffs let alone have been challenging for automatic a month or so ago...at the start of the season without porter we were nothing!! He hasnt been playing for a while either so it might take time for him to get match fitness...and without his goal yesterday we would have lost! Why dont we have a go at the God that is Paul Warne for missing that easy 1 on 1 which would have sealed the victory?

Lets get behind all those putting on the blue shirt for the final 5 and hopefully 8 games!

Totally agree Woz, Porter has been the difference this season, how anyone can criticise him I don't know. Okay if we had won yesterday the pressure would have been off. BUT we didnt play badly yesterday, we created chances and until the last 15 mins Hudds didnt have a chance. We were unlucky not poor yesterday. If we play like for the rest of the season we WILL be in the play-offs no probs and in with a chance of winning them too.

And where is the negativity ?

Not necesarilly on owtb's, but there was a distinct visible amount of criticism aimed at Porter yesterday in the ground, and on certain forums. Mainly the 'fishul one.

We've been crying out for a 20 goal a season striker for donkeys years, and now we have one who's hit that target. We have people slagging him off for whatever reason, saying he's offside too much. He doesnt seem interested, he's not running for 'lost causes' blah, blah, blah. He's been injured. He's not match fit you frickin ejits. He's not going to be superman, onside every time, and scoring every chance he gets. Despite what some people expect.

Like Wozz says, some people are never happy. The fact people at Latics are still criticising a side in the playoff's, who could only of dreamed of it in the summer, is laughable

Edited by Rocky_Latic

Guest oa_exile

Yep , for all his doubters Porter yesterday actually equaled the best haul of a Latics striker for 29 years set by Steve Taylor in 1978 !

So moan as they will he is now in the Latics history books !

You will always have this Rocky , the moaners and groaners , its part of being a Latics fan :angry:

Remember for some it’s been more rough than smooth or as i call it "All aboard the Latics roller coaster" :grin:

Just to echo the above thoughts, not even Marshall, Ritchie and Oooooooooooh Roger Palmer could manage what Porter has achieved. How many games has Porter started? That makes his feat even better.

A lot of Porter's goals are goals that any other striker, in his place, could and should have finished.

The difference this season, to last season when he played a similar number of games, and any other season with any other striker is the number of chances put on a plate for him.

Last season he had 35 appearances, and scored just 9 goals.

The difference this year is the team around him.

The 'Udders game showed where the main problem with the current team lies - the inablilty to be clinical in front of goal.

If our strikers had finished say 25% more chances this season, we'd be pushing Scunthorpe all the way.

I do slag off Porter - one thing in particular means that I'll never say, or sing out loud in public "there's only one Chris Porter" is his lack of effort.

He might not be match fit - but he doesn't seem to be able to play through the pain barrier at all.

Wellens has been carrying knocks since the first day of the season, same goes for Haining, but that isn't an excuse for them.

Though he did seem to have learned how to hold up play since I last saw him. So credit where credit is due.

Keep the Faith

Just to echo the above thoughts, not even Marshall, Ritchie and Oooooooooooh Roger Palmer could manage what Porter has achieved. How many games has Porter started? That makes his feat even better.

Think it's 34 games he's played, and he's got 20. 1.7 a game. That's better than a certain Billy Sharp. The same as Didier Drogba

It really is quite laughable. Porter is right up there with the best of them when it comes to the games to goal ratio. He's in the top 3/5 at least

I swear, some people wouldnt be happy if he scored 40 goals a season, did flips after every goal and lured the hottest girls for every single red blooded male at the game. They'd still find something to moan about, no doubt.

People moan about his positioning, and then say how his goals are all tap in's. Are these people a bit demented. Forest away proved Porter's positional sense, and all round game has improved no end. Unlike last season. He's in the right places at the right time. Yes he was offside alot on saturday, but then again, he was far better than Leon Clarke was at Brentford for it.

Some 'fans', seem to think he's superman, who should score every chance he gets. Then realise why he has flaws too his game. It's the same when Jermaine Johnson was here, and any player for that matter. If they didnt have flaws to there game, the bottom line is.......they wouldnt be at Latics.

Some people need to seriously move on from this premiership/championship, higher than thou mentality, were they think every latics player should perform like Maradona or be dropped.

You wouldnt think we were 4th in the league, the way some 'fans' carry on.

Moan and criticise about something that matters. Like only having frozen beer left in the Paddock Bar at half time on Saturday.

Fact is. He's broken latics major duck, and himself into Latics history books. He's the 2nd top scorer in League 2, and right up there with the best in the country when it comes to goals to games ratio's. 1.7 a game.........who the frig can moan at that?

Well Done Porter. He's what we've been missing for weeks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fw2o28P52uQ

Edited by Rocky_Latic

arent we also joint top scorers in the league? surely we must be putting away some chances then:)im sure more objective fans would agree that it is our poor defensive errors which are leading to us not being in the top 2!

i disagree about the defence! i tink there playing well! but i must admit the two full backs are slipping slowly

i think our problem is that we are carring 2many unfit or lazy players and there's only 5 or 6 preforming week in week out! also i think pogs messed up his career by going to b'pool!!

we need alot of squad building if we are to go up cause if we dont we will be straight back down!!