Shocking video - police brutality in Seattle

martjs

Grim viewing to say the least. I hope the thug gets sent down.

http://blog.seattlepi.com/seattle911/archives/180436.asp

Sheriff fires deputy accused in jail cell beating

A King County sheriff's deputy accused of beating a 15-year-old girl in a holding cell has been fired, according to the King County Sheriff's Office.

Sheriff Sue Rahr has fired Deputy Paul Schene after holding a hearing with the deputy and his attorney on Sept. 9, sheriff's Sgt. John Urquhart said Monday. Schene was fired for a litany of policy violations, including making false or fraudulent statements, committing conduct that is criminal in nature, use of excessive or unnecessary force, inappropriate use of authority, acts in violation of Sheriff's Office rules or directives, and conduct involving discrimination, incivility and/or bigotry.

Schene has been charged in King County Superior Court with misdemeanor assault. His trial is pending. UPDATE: The trial was originally slated for September but has been rescheduled for Oct. 14.

Schene's conduct came to light because he alleged in a report that the teenager had resisted arrest and assaulted him inside a holding cell at a SeaTac police precinct on Nov. 29, 2008. Detectives sought video evidence from the cell's security camera and instead, found footage of Schene as he punched, kicked and tossed the girl to the floor after she had kicked her shoe at him. In his report, Schene, a training officer and 8-year veteran, said the girl's shoe struck his shin, causing "injury and pain."

Schene and a second deputy, Travis Brunner, had arrested the girl, Malika Calhoun, and her 15-year-old friend, on suspicion of auto theft. Brunner helped Schene in handcuffing Calhoun inside the holding cell, although prosecutors did not file charges against Brunner. Later, police learned the girls were driving a car that they'd taken without permission from another friend's mother. Schene wrote that he "placed" the girl in handcuffs.

Calhoun filed a claim for damages, which is a precursor to a lawsuit, against King County. The county settled the claim, Urquhart confirmed.

Seattlepi.com is seeking terms of the settlement. UPDATE: The county says it paid $125,000.

Calhoun, meanwhile, is charged in an unrelated case in King County Juvenile Court with felony harassment for allegedly threatening to shoot another 15-year-old girl at the mall. Her trial was supposed to start Monday but has been rescheduled for Tuesday.

Yes he's a thug and yes he's wrong for beating her up like that. But she did kick her shoes at him and he was quite calm before she did that. I'm not saying that what he did wasn't wrong but by the sound of it giving a 15 year old (or whoever) that sort of cash when she is a nasty piece of work doesn't seem the best idea. I wouldn't be surprised if despite this she spends a lot longer in prision than he does.

Edited by rudemedic

Yes he's a thug and yes he's wrong for beating her up like that. But she did kick her shoes at him and he was quite calm before she did that. I'm not saying that what he did wasn't wrong but by the sound of it giving a 15 year old (or whoever) that sort of cash when she is a nasty piece of work doesn't seem the best idea. I wouldn't be surprised if despite this she spends a lot longer in prision than he does.

Are you joking? Was kicking (and I would call it flicking) her shoes at him enough provocation for the assault that followed?

Are you joking? Was kicking (and I would call it flicking) her shoes at him enough provocation for the assault that followed?

Flicking is certainly a more appropriate term- but I never said that it was just cause for the assault that followed (and it was an assault). My point is that young lady was in custody for a reason and despite being beaten up by a cop (so experiencing the worst of being denied your freedom even briefly) has since been re-arrested (before this assault came to public eye) for threatening to kill someone. She is not going to improve her lifestyle.

I would say that if I flicked my shoes (if I could flick my shoes) at a cop on a Friday night having had one too many I would expect to be put in the van rather forcefully and that's in this country nevermind the States. It isn't a just reaction but instead of it being a 15 year old girl (who may or may not look her age its quite hard to tell from the pictures) who did this would it have caused the same uproar if it was a 15 year old boy or even an adult. Criminals are Criminals and should be treated as equally as appropriately possible no matter of their age, gender, race etc. I also wonder if the police officer was a woman whether the reaction to the footage would have been the same. The problem is the cops have to treat a 15 year old girl the same way (as much as possible) they would treat a 30 year old woman or man, the media doesn't.

• 3 weeks later...

She was probably taking her shoes off at their request. Shoelaces/hanging etc... She could probably evn claim she didnt mean it to hit him. There is no justification for bailing into a 15 year old (steady guys) like that. She looked out for the count after the :censored:house rabbit punched her in the head a couple of times. They should throw the book at him.