Diego's Oldham Picture Quiz 009

Is it a side exit door on the nightclub that i remember being called Romeo & Juliets? not sure what its called now.....

Was then froggies/ Butterflies?, then eventually became Rileys snooker centre, before being left to now deteriorate i believe.

I need help from you before I can confirm anything. Can you be more precise with the location?

It puts them on 3 different streets ;)

What does? :unsure:

All I've definitely established is that Riley's was on King Street. That and Chaucer Street are incorrect. I'm not sure where R & J's and Froggy's were, but IIRC Butterfly's was what used to be the Astoria on King Street at the Star Inn junction. Riley's may also have been what used to be the Astoria.

What I'm trying to establish is whether any of the places guessed at were anywhere other than King Street (Star Inn).

I know you are but R&J's was also on Union Street as it was on the corner of union and king street with side entrances on chaucer street ;)

Thanks for that.

So we've established the location is NOT the King Street/Union Street/Chaucer Street building that started as the Grand Theatre and has been used as the Gaumont, Astoria, Butterfly's, Romeo & Juliet's, Froggy's, Riley's etc.

Thanks for that.

So we've established the location is NOT the King Street/Union Street/Chaucer Street building that started as the Grand Theatre and has been used as the Gaumont, Astoria, Butterfly's, Romeo & Juliet's, Froggy's, Riley's etc.

Is this building what used to be Dino's winebar, just off Union Street next to what used to be a housing assoc now a Oldham College Building (Next to the Job Centre)

Is this building what used to be Dino's winebar, just off Union Street next to what used to be a housing assoc now a Oldham College Building (Next to the Job Centre)

CORRECT :pow: The Job Centre Plus is 75 Union Street and this is 79.

Side of Prudential Buildings, Union Street - Behind this red dor lie many happy memories for Oldhamers over many years.

In the 1960s it was the entrance to Café Monaco (a Berni Inns Steak House).

4094582863_30a9073253_b.jpg

Frank and Aldo Berni founded the restaurant chain in Bristol in 1955 and introduced the post-war British public to the joys of prawn cocktail, steak and Black Forest gateau, washed down with Blue Nun or Mateus Rosé wine, schooners of sherry from the wood and liqueur coffees - the height of sophistication in swinging 60s Oldham, when eating out was a novelty for most people. In retrospect they may seem naff but it would be unfair to mock them, as they were very much of their time.

2281d1255553393-berni-inn-berni.jpg

In more recent times I believe it was the venue for Rennies (Heavenly), Holy City Zoo night clubs and apparently Dino's Wine Bar.

When the door in Chaucer Street at the side of Romeo & Juliet’s/Butterfly’s/Froggy’s, referred to in the unsuccessful guesses, belonged to the Asoria, I was one of the unsuccessful punters who attempted to listen through that door to hear The Beatles, having failed to get in for the gig on 12th February 1963.

The story was covered by the rarely wrong Chron and has been repeated many times since:

http://www.oldham-chronicle.co.uk/news-fea...-to-beatlemania

I’m the dude second from the right in this Chron picture.

4105519289_1f9af73778_o.jpg

After the Atoria The Beatles did a series of small/medium-size gigs before appearing at the Royal Albert Hall on 18th April 1963, and the rest is history as they went on to conquer the world.

CORRECT :pow: The Job Centre Plus is 75 Union Street and this is 79.

Side of Prudential Buildings, Union Street - Behind this red dor lie many happy memories for Oldhamers over many years.

In the 1960s it was the entrance to Café Monaco (a Berni Inns Steak House).

4094582863_30a9073253_b.jpg

Frank and Aldo Berni founded the restaurant chain in Bristol in 1955 and introduced the post-war British public to the joys of prawn cocktail, steak and Black Forest gateau, washed down with Blue Nun or Mateus Rosé wine, schooners of sherry from the wood and liqueur coffees - the height of sophistication in swinging 60s Oldham, when eating out was a novelty for most people. In retrospect they may seem naff but it would be unfair to mock them, as they were very much of their time.

2281d1255553393-berni-inn-berni.jpg

In more recent times I believe it was the venue for Rennies (Heavenly), Holy City Zoo night clubs and apparently Dino's Wine Bar.

When the door in Chaucer Street at the side of Romeo & Juliet’s/Butterfly’s/Froggy’s, referred to in the unsuccessful guesses, belonged to the Asoria, I was one of the unsuccessful punters who attempted to listen through that door to hear The Beatles, having failed to get in for the gig on 12th February 1963.

The story was covered by the rarely wrong Chron and has been repeated many times since:

http://www.oldham-chronicle.co.uk/news-fea...-to-beatlemania

I’m the dude second from the right in this Chron picture.

4105519289_1f9af73778_o.jpg

After the Atoria The Beatles did a series of small/medium-size gigs before appearing at the Royal Albert Hall on 18th April 1963, and the rest is history as they went on to conquer the world.

Used to like Dino's, crawled out of there many a night in the mid-nineties before ending up in the Cabaret, Monty's or Henry's!

Edited by oafcprozac