Striker worth looking at ?

Fergie, what do you reckon to James McLean the left winger from Derry and Oliver Norwood the midfielder of Manchester United who played for the NI under 21s last night.

Would they be suitable for Latics ?

If I were you I would contact Alan Hardy and ask if the want a NI scout.

* Having studied the highlights of when Patterson scored 4 goals I notice he can use either foot with equal power, this is probably why he scores so many goals as he doesn't have to turn on to his best 'foot' as many even at the highest level have to do.

Edited by BP1960

Wrong way round.

I'd say attitude and commitment are the 2 qualities that the squad ARE showing at the minute - it's the quality that needs a tad of work. :wink:

That's us in a nutshell, the commitment is there we just need to find a winning mentality and we'll be ok, but sadly the return of a couple of players from the previous regime have seen our goalscoring threat disappear. Returning from injury or not - Smalley and Taylor need to step up to the plate. They're a massive threat on their day so need to get their finger out.

Edited by oafcprozac

I too would like to know what scouting arrangements we have, how they would be developed if we had more money etc. It may be we do quite well at schoolboy level but not later. I really don't know. Nor do I know how our set-up compares with , for instance, Huddersfield or Stockport or Preston or Bury. Clubs quite local but of differing status/resources.

I do get frustrated at how there's an assumption that we're crap at everything. This lad from N Ireland as an instance. Presumably other clubs also have the opportunity to watch him? Are they all crap for not picking him up?

According to both OS and the Chron there seem to be a lot of triallists passing through the club, most of whom are not only looked at in training but also get Res outings.

Well said. Picking up young players with talent is clearly one thing we are definitely better than average at....but yet again, people can't wait to criticise.

No harm in asking questions..But some people are just downright dickheads.

good to know.

but have they followed your info up?

:censored: hell. What do you expect ? The club to have to answer to Fergie or any other Tom, Dick and Harry off here who knows better than them ?

Fergie should have get daily updates from Blitz himself. We're :censored: !!

:censored: hell. What do you expect ? The club to have to answer to Fergie or any other Tom, Dick and Harry off here who knows better than them ?

Fergie should have get daily updates from Blitz himself. We're :censored: !!

i think you will find fergie has a very good relationship with people inside the club and has been giving them snippetts of information for a good few years now,so i presume he has already had answers regarding players...

Fergie, what do you reckon to James McLean the left winger from Derry and Oliver Norwood the midfielder of Manchester United who played for the NI under 21s last night.

Would they be suitable for Latics ?

If I were you I would contact Alan Hardy and ask if the want a NI scout.

* Having studied the highlights of when Patterson scored 4 goals I notice he can use either foot with equal power, this is probably why he scores so many goals as he doesn't have to turn on to his best 'foot' as many even at the highest level have to do.

We have signed a few decent players from Norn Ireland recently Kirk Millar (Linfield), Philip McGrath (Glenavon) and McKerr and reading the youth team and reserve reports Millar and McGrath are having great seasons to date.

Don't know to much about McLean to be honest, all I know is that Derry have been dumped out of their league as they are £500,000 in dept and been doctoring players contracts unknown to the FAI. Norwood would be a good signing time will tell.

Don't assume they because they are professional managers, coaches and scouts they are always right, I know many in the game who can recommend established players, but couldn't spot the potential for a player to improve and and go on better things - and thus dismiss them as not good enough.

This happened to me with Chris Waddle when he was an amateur at Tow Law in non league, my manager at a top flight club at the time told me Waddle wouldn't make it at any level in the football league in a million years.

Edited by BP1960

Don't assume they because they are professional managers, coaches and scouts they are always right, I know many in the game who can recommend established players, but couldn't spot the potential for a player to improve and and go on better things and thus dismiss them as not good enough.

This happened to me with Chris Waddle when he was an amateur at Tow Law in non league, my manager at at a top flight club at the time told me Waddle wouldn't make it at any level in the football league in a million years.

I take it that managers can be just like fans? They have their own ideas about what makes a good player and will pick out negatives over positives of certain players.

It sounds like we must have some sort of scouting in NI if we are picking up young kids like Millar and Mcgrath from there despite what some are saying on here! We cant sign up the whole league ;)

No, but they can scout for the best and the players are not expensive.

No, but they can scout for the best and the players are not expensive.

True, I wonder who recommended the young lads? I think it was Tiptons dad was the one who got the Welsh contingent like Eardley etc in a few years ago, so our scouting network can be quite erratic.

I take it that managers can be just like fans? They have their own ideas about what makes a good player and will pick out negatives over positives of certain players.

That's true, it's all about opinions and some fans opinions can be just as good as professionals - so they shouldn't be dismissed out of hand.