No confidence in your manager?

As a group of fans, we've never entirely agreed on who is, isn't, was or wasn't a good manager for us.

Though I think it's safe to say we'd all agree on the abilities of this fella if he was in charge;

Statistics are not the only way to judge a manager, but if they were, Dumbarton's Jim Fallon would have an unmovable grip on the worst manager crown. The club's 1995-96 record makes horrific reading: played 36, won three, drawn two, lost 31. Then consider that two of the wins came in the opening two games, before they appointed Fallon. A record of 0.147 points per match convinced the board he deserved another crack the following season. He's now a physio.

As a group of fans, we've never entirely agreed on who is, isn't, was or wasn't a good manager for us.

Though I think it's safe to say we'd all agree on the abilities of this fella if he was in charge;

Statistics are not the only way to judge a manager, but if they were, Dumbarton's Jim Fallon would have an unmovable grip on the worst manager crown. The club's 1995-96 record makes horrific reading: played 36, won three, drawn two, lost 31. Then consider that two of the wins came in the opening two games, before they appointed Fallon. A record of 0.147 points per match convinced the board he deserved another crack the following season. He's now a physio.

A good manager is one who can get the best out of what he has got.

Give Fergie a team at the bottom of the North West counties league and no money and see how he does.

Your point?

Are you confusing this lighthearted look at the misfortunes of a poor manager with a dig at our own Dave Penney? (Very wrong).

Or are you trawling the internet for an argument? (Very pointless).

In actual fact, Dumbarton were in the second tier of Scottish football, the same as St Mirren were when Ferguson completely turned their fortunes round with no money. Fairer comparison I believe?

Maybe I've just misread the tone of your reply?

Your point?

Are you confusing this lighthearted look at the misfortunes of a poor manager with a dig at our own Dave Penney? (Very wrong).

Or are you trawling the internet for an argument? (Very pointless).

In actual fact, Dumbarton were in the second tier of Scottish football, the same as St Mirren were when Ferguson completely turned their fortunes round with no money. Fairer comparison I believe?

Maybe I've just misread the tone of your reply?

Like in any business managers have to work with what they have got and make the best of the staff at their disposal - or recruit staff better than what they have got within their budget.

If Fergie had to run a football team at the bottom of the North West Counties league with no money I doubt even he could work miracles.

Tommy Docherty and Ron Atkinson tried non league after managing in the Premiership and couldn't make a success of it.

DP is doing his best on a limited budget, I just hope he addresses the lack of goals and flair in his team though and provides the success we all crave for.

Whilst I agree almost entirely, the point I was making was that others have had it much worse than us, and I tried to put my point across in a humourous manner.

I see my post as informative, factual, relevant, and lightly entertaining on a miserable day.

You see it as a target, at which to launch a counter argument based on the misguided belief that I am somehow having a dig at Dave Penney.

My own position affords me the experience of having to manage teams of people with insufficient resources, so I am well aware of the difficulties faced by the likes of DP. However, it is social and life skills that allow me to differentiate between a person sharing information of common interest in a light hearted manner, and a person seeking to twist the knife further into a manager who has enough on his plate already.

Forgive me for presuming everyone posesses the same skills.

I'll try to post the story a different way:

Hey, Everyone!

Get off DP's back - he's doing the best he can.

It could be worse, have you seen Jim Fallon's record at Dumbarton 13 years ago? He only won one game, despite taking over a team with a 100% start to the league. We'd have plenty to moan about there wouldn't we?

Hope this helps.

*Reason for edit: Hold on! You're not Jim Fallon are you?

Edited by outoftheblue