Hill - We must sign O'Grady

It suprising to me that so many seem to have written O'Grady off, in spite of his form for Rochdale.

As for Penney's "he won't get a look in here" quote, if he stands by that now, his judgement is worse than I thought. I'd pick COG with a broken leg over Keigan "I'm a footballer, me" Parker, anyday.

I normally agree with much of what you say Stevie, but that quote is not accurate.

He said, if things had worked out as planned he would not have got a look in, but he's coming back, and we'll see how it goes.

But if his attitude is bobbins, that sorts it.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, behave. They're fully grown adults, not oversensitive children.

What part of that comment was wrong exactly? Just the fact that it was on the record maybe?

Three managers have been in since O'Grady arrived, and he's been out on loan FOUR times in that period. Isn't a bit obvious that none of them fancy him that much, including the one who brought him in (on a fee)? Does he need it spelling out to him or something?

He's a big boy, and football is a game where you need to take the rough with the smooth, the harsh words and the criticism. I really doubt he'll be crying himself to sleep tonight anyhow.

+1

Oh, behave. They're fully grown adults, not oversensitive children.

What part of that comment was wrong exactly? Just the fact that it was on the record maybe?

Three managers have been in since O'Grady arrived, and he's been out on loan FOUR times in that period. Isn't a bit obvious that none of them fancy him that much, including the one who brought him in (on a fee)? Does he need it spelling out to him or something?

He's a big boy, and football is a game where you need to take the rough with the smooth, the harsh words and the criticism. I really doubt he'll be crying himself to sleep tonight anyhow.

I think if Rochdale emptied the piggy bank and pulled out £50k along with the fluff, then we'd sell. Either that or as part-exchange for Dagnall and some cash/buttons going the other way. Anything else and 'Dale will be looking elsewhere for firepower in 2010.

Whilst I agree with you to an extent, the fact remains that Penney has made a comment with zero positives when he could have made one with zero negatives.

Above all, he once again fails to impress.

Whilst I agree with you to an extent, the fact remains that Penney has made a comment with zero positives when he could have made one with zero negatives.

Above all, he once again fails to impress.

You and me must differ in what we want to hear from a manager then. You probably prefer the banal, vanilla responses to questions whereas I prefer a manager to tell me just how it is, in no uncertain terms.

I think he got it spot on; O'Grady had it all to prove when Penney arrived, and therefore wasn't in his plans. Effectively Chris has proved his case rattling in a few goals at Rochdale which is exactly what Penney wanted from him.

Personally, I'm still sceptical he has what it takes in this division, despite his exploits at Dale. I'm happy with him as backup for Abbott, and he is better than Blackman but I just can't see him recreating the form he has done in a lower division.

You and me must differ in what we want to hear from a manager then. You probably prefer the banal, vanilla responses to questions whereas I prefer a manager to tell me just how it is, in no uncertain terms.

I think he got it spot on; O'Grady had it all to prove when Penney arrived, and therefore wasn't in his plans. Effectively Chris has proved his case rattling in a few goals at Rochdale which is exactly what Penney wanted from him.

Personally, I'm still sceptical he has what it takes in this division, despite his exploits at Dale. I'm happy with him as backup for Abbott, and he is better than Blackman but I just can't see him recreating the form he has done in a lower division.

I have little interest in what managers say to the press, as it's usually banal, vanilla responses. So when I do hear their words I too prefer to hear how it is, unless it's potentially detrimental to the team. But as you say O'Grady is a big boy and I'm sure he'll shrug off Penney's put down, continue to prove him wrong and work hard if and when he comes back.

For what it's worth, I can't imagine O'Grady signing a new deal whilst Penney's here either. I realise not many will be bothered but the way he's going he's worth something either as a player or in terms of a modest transfer fee.

O'Grady's got everything desired in a target man, except goals. Sorry, what's that? 9 in 20? :blink: