Potential New Signing?

Personally speaking, I think this season we’ve missed a ‘1st season back’ Mark Allott in our central midfield – a ball winner, who keeps it simple but has the intelligence on a football pitch to pick a pass and move us along from a central position. The signs looked promising with John Worthington (albeit less his tendency for picking up bookings) until his injury.

Since then we’ve been left with Furman and Whitts in the centre of the park; neither of which are the type of player mentioned above.

Just noticed this on Sky Sports pages;

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11719_5864714,00.html

From memory; he wasn’t a bad little midfield terrier. Remember him playing vs England in a couple of Internationals and doing more than OK. He’s been around a bit; and is 30 years of age now but what do people think to the possibility of bringing him in to sure up our flagging midfield?

I’m fully aware we’ve brought in Jim Goodwin on loan; but its only a month IIRC – I’m talking about a deal to the end of the season with the chance of another 1 year contract if we stay up / performance related etc.

IMO; we just miss a presence in the CM area. With a ‘keep it simple ball winner’ in there; it eases the defensive responsibilities of the likes of Furman / Whitts / Stephens so they can push on higher up the park and hopefully create some opportunities in the final 3rd.

Thoughts people; particularly from those who went to the Wycombe game and saw him live?

dont we have enough midfielders already?

When everyone’s fit, yeah I’d say so – but everyone isn’t fit. Purdie and Worthy are big time long term injured so we’ve got, as OAFC contracted players:

Whitts

Furman

Stephens

That to me is worrying for the 2nd half of the seaon.

Having two midfield thugs/terriers in the squad is never a bad option, IMHO, you might want to play both in some games, they are probably the players most likely to get suspended (if Worthy hadn't gotten injured a couple of times he'd have been suspended by now easy), injuries can play a part too. After all neither Milligan nor Henry were what you would call playmakers and they did OK for us. He might be worth a look at but DP may feel he has enough midfielders and his limited budget is better spent elsewhere.

When everyone’s fit, yeah I’d say so – but everyone isn’t fit. Purdie and Worthy are big time long term injured so we’ve got, as OAFC contracted players:

Whitts

Furman

Stephens

:censored:

Lee

Other reserve players such as that Leta i think he called? Rowney

Also the hungarians, think there a midfielder there aswel?

That to me is worrying for the 2nd half of the seaon.

Why would we want to sign a Wycombe reject?

If we thought like that then we'd never sign anyone would we?

He's only a 'Wycombe reject' as you so put it due to a fallout with the new manager dating back to their QPR days; not on ability.

Personally speaking, I think if we sort the CM area; the rest will slip into place. We've lost so many games due to our central midfielders losing the battle and not offering enough.

For me it was a mistake letting Maher go; as i feel he'd make a difference right now - Doherty is a similar player and he too would make a difference to us in a problem area IMO.

Edited by slystallone

Lee? CM? Seriously...........now i'm even more worried than i was!!

:censored: is only on loan, and has covered so many other positions since he's been with us; i'm not sure you'd call him a CM anymore - outright utility player for me is :censored:. He's the 1st player to be moved in a problem area (RB, LB & CB for example already this season.)

Bemba-Lita is wide midfielder, and IMO is not quite ready for 1st team games yet.

Rowney I like, but is a tad on the small side and is unproven.

The Hungarians haven't pulled up any trees when i've seen them.

So yeah; i'm worried that a pivitol area of the side which has been struggling all season looks like it could continue to struggle in the 2nd half of the season unless we bring in quality. Fix the CM and the rest will slot into place.

Lee? CM? Seriously...........now i'm even more worried than i was!!

:censored: is only on loan, and has covered so many other positions since he's been with us; i'm not sure you'd call him a CM anymore - outright utility player for me is :censored:. He's the 1st player to be moved in a problem area (RB, LB & CB for example already this season.)

Bemba-Lita is wide midfielder, and IMO is not quite ready for 1st team games yet.

Rowney I like, but is a tad on the small side and is unproven.

The Hungarians haven't pulled up any trees when i've seen them.

So yeah; i'm worried that a pivitol area of the side which has been struggling all season looks like it could continue to struggle in the 2nd half of the season unless we bring in quality. Fix the CM and the rest will slot into place.

That is his preferred position and where he plays best/ favoured position.

Lita played CM/ AMC when came on against Accrington so i thought he was more central - i stand corrected.

I think :censored: prefers CM and looks our best CM this season

I tihkn rowney can be an allot type player in the future if he gets his head down, works hard, and has patience.

Not seen any hungarians yet, so unable to say how good they are - you have seen them so trust your judgement on this one.

That is his preferred position and where he plays best/ favoured position.

Lita played CM/ AMC when came on against Accrington so i thought he was more central - i stand corrected.

I think :censored: prefers CM and looks our best CM this seasonI tihkn rowney can be an allot type player in the future if he gets his head down, works hard, and has patience.

Not seen any hungarians yet, so unable to say how good they are - you have seen them so trust your judgement on this one.

Not that he'll be our player when this happens; but i predict that young :censored: will have a good career from the game; but at CB rather than CM. He tends to let games drift by him for patches; you notice a crunching tackle 1 minute but then dont see him again for the next 10mins. At CB, he has had to 'be on it' for the full 90mins and its made a massive difference. From his CB appearances for us; i'd have to say that's where i see playing for the rest of his carer.

I too think Rowney has a shot, but he has lots to work on in the intrim.

I still stand by my point that if the CM area is sorted, the rest will follow - and at present, with what we currently have at our disposal, i dont see it being sorted.

Not that he'll be our player when this happens; but i predict that young :censored: will have a good career from the game; but at CB rather than CM.

He reminds me a bit of Rodwell at Everton. Rodwell's alot better, but a similar type of player who many pundits have suggested will drop back to CB and make his name there.

Not that he'll be our player when this happens; but i predict that young :censored: will have a good career from the game; but at CB rather than CM. He tends to let games drift by him for patches; you notice a crunching tackle 1 minute but then dont see him again for the next 10mins. At CB, he has had to 'be on it' for the full 90mins and its made a massive difference. From his CB appearances for us; i'd have to say that's where i see playing for the rest of his carer.

I too think Rowney has a shot, but he has lots to work on in the intrim.

I still stand by my point that if the CM area is sorted, the rest will follow - and at present, with what we currently have at our disposal, i dont see it being sorted.

I think its the wing that needs sorting. We are attempting to play down middle due to lack off proper wingers who will run at defenders. If we get taylor and smalley playing reguarly on the wing, and a decent strike partner for abbott, then everything wil fall into place more