Rene Steer ?

Reports of his performances from the reserves have been very good and he is just the sort of quick attack minded player the first team needs.

Why not give him a try on the left wing DP, the present lot have been tried and failed ?

And why not Tom Eaves at least starting on the bench ?... he could make an impact coming on as a substitute.

At 6' 5" he just might get on the end of one of Dale Stephens excellent corner kicks.

Remember Stephens wasn't even in the managers plans for the first half of the season, and but for injuries may not be in now.

He's in the "development squad", like that McKerr guy and that Ojapah kid from AFC Liverpool.

Development squad - who dreamed up that ridiculous title, it's a fancy name for reserves ?

If they are playing well and others are not then give them a first team chance.

Incidentally, Steer will be aged 20 soon, how much more developing does he need ?

Edited by BP1960

And why not Tom Eaves at least starting on the bench ?... he could make an impact coming on as a substitute.

At 6' 5" he just might get on the end of one of Dale Stephens excellent corner kicks.

Remember Stephens wasn't even in the managers plans for the first half of the season, and but for injuries may not be in now.

Is he really 6'5"? maybe we will finally have a striker come through with some presence about him.

What I've seen of Rene he's not going to make the grade. I don't have a prob with Tom on the bench and perhaps the odd cameo at 3-0 up (fat chance) cos he's not yet ready for the 1st team.

Im not sure Brooke is up to being in the first team either hes very lightweight if Eaves has got a bit of height/strength about him he should be near the 1st team at somepoint this season especially if we dont sign another forward

We will never know about Steer Lags until he gets a chance, he looked good attacking wise in his only pre season friendly and was then discarded.

The problem I have with this manager is his apparent reluctance to try anything different while giving failures chance after chance.

Edited by BP1960

We will never know about Steer Lags until he gets a chance, he looked good attacking wise in his only pre season friendly and was then discarded.

The problem I have with this manager is his apparent reluctance of trying anything different while giving failures chance after chance.

Add to that the fact that he signed Steer, McKerr, Ojapa. You can sometimes understand when they are other managers buys but he signed them and then doesnt consider them, although at times we have struggled to field a full subs bench.

Add to that the fact that he signed Steer, McKerr, Ojapa. You can sometimes understand when they are other managers buys but he signed them and then doesnt consider them, although at times we have struggled to field a full subs bench.

And of course the injured Hungarians who reportedly went home for Christmas and haven't been seen since.

Also why is Fodor never considered?.. he's a big centre back and did well against Man U reserves recently.

I've seen Steer play a few times for Arsenal youths a few times playing on the in the past and he always look pretty good, he can pass, put a decent cross in and whilst not lightning quick he does have a bit of pace, his defending was never the best however that can be improved with decent training, he played no the wing a few times when i saw him too as well as left back. The problem players like him will have is they are used to playing football a certain way, there used to playing with players who want the ball and who play good passing football. It can take them time to adjust to how football is played in the lower leagues and sometimes they are just not given enough time

And of course the injured Hungarians who reportedly went home for Christmas and haven't been seen since.

Also why is Fodor never considered?.. he's a big centre back and did well against Man U reserves recently.

This whole Hungarian thing is a complete mystifying one to me. I really cannot see what we're getting from it. Also I agree sometimes you never know until you try a player (regarding earlier post re Steer) but my gut feeling on seeing him...nah!

This is what annoys me about Penney and was something Sheridan was also guilty of. They have both signed lots of players who just never play, surely they cant be that bad at judgement. In Sheridans last season he had shipped his original forward line up before Christmas COG and Davies, while Penney's star signing Furman is on the bench every week. That is just 2 examples, but there is loads I know not every transfer will always work out but at the moment it seems to be the majority have not for us in recent years.