Would relegation make any difference?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

What I cant get my head around is that it is the same people who are disgusted that we don't seem to be aiming for the Championship who say it will be the end of the club if we get relegated

Surely you can see those viewpoints dont go together?! A club aiming to get into the Championship does not have such a small and fickle fan base, that it would go out of business if it gets relegated to the bottom division! What kind of w**k support do we have that its Championship or bust!!

edit - take out the swearing!

Very little of that makes sense.

Latics are already in a select group of clubs which have played in Divisions 1, 2, 3 and 4 of the Football league and the Premier League.

Does anyone know which is the only club to have played in the Premier League, the old Divisions 1, 2, 3 and 4, and Divisions 3 South and 3 North?

Coventry?

Latics are already in a select group of clubs which have played in Divisions 1, 2, 3 and 4 of the Football league and the Premier League.

Does anyone know which is the only club to have played in the Premier League, the old Divisions 1, 2, 3 and 4, and Divisions 3 South and 3 North?

I cheated, as I looked up played in Division 3 North and Division 3 South but found the answer.

So I'll give another clue

Not on the TTA Christmas card list, well as far as I know.

Very little of that makes sense.

It makes perfect sense...

Fans think we are a big enough club to be aiming for the Championship.

Same fans think it would signal the death of the club if we got relegated to L2.

I put forward view that a club which is or should be challenging for the Championship would not have such a small or fickle fan base that it could not survive in L2.

Fans think we are a big enough club to be aiming for the Championship.

It's nothing to do with how 'big' we perceive ourselves to be. Surely we should be ambitious enough to want to get in the Championship?

Same fans think it would signal the death of the club if we got relegated to L2.

Do you not think that's a reasonable claim?

I put forward view that a club which is or should be challenging for the Championship would not have such a small or fickle fan base that it could not survive in L2.

So because we currently have a small and fickle fan base, we should be content with our lot?

This is what doesn't make sense to me. People positively welcoming anonimity and mere survival. It's a little bit depressing.

An earlier post mentions the chance to go down a division and win some games and compete...

I recall having similar converstations when we were relegated from the premiership, and later the championship. However as we know, it did not happen.

Perhaps it will be third time lucky?

Relegation would not stop me renewing my season ticket for the 20th successive season (bought the first one after the excitement of the pinch me season and the fear of not getting into every game...hard to imagine anyone buying for the same reasons again). But its something that the club should avoid at all costs.

There is the argument that perhaps a successful season in League 2 would result in an overall upturn in fortunes and general confidence in the club. Success is a habit, and there are a number of teams that do back to back promotions from League 2 into the Championship.

I also understand the 'more local derbies' and 'new grounds' argument - lets be honest it is getting rather boring in this division and local matches are scarce.

But, whilst its possible to get success in a lower divions and use the momentum, its also possible to maintain the downward momentum and a single crap year sees the team out of the football league by 2011.

If you are going to re-build and gain momentum, lets start as high as we can. I think we do need a shot in the arm to get the club back on the right track - but I think that can be the stadium (even in failsworth) whilst we are in League One, and not a change of scenary in League 2.