Mumps Bridge to be demolished

It's going to be the end of an era, with the demolition of Mumps Bridge to facilitate the running of trams every six minutes across Mumps Roundabout and along Union Street. Iconic landmark or eyesore, the Bridge with its advertising slogans, has welcomed visitors to Oldham for nearly 150 years. Without it how would visitors have known that Oldham was the 'Home of the Tubular Bandage'?

This seems to be drastic action to accommodate Latics fans drinking in the Ashton Arms before hopping on the tram to Failsworth. :grin:

http://www.oldham-chronicle.co.uk/news-fea...4/end-of-an-era

It's going to be the end of an era, with the demolition of Mumps Bridge to facilitate the running of trams every six minutes across Mumps Roundabout and along Union Street. Iconic landmark or eyesore, the Bridge with its advertising slogans, has welcomed visitors to Oldham for nearly 150 years. Without it how would visitors have known that Oldham was the 'Home of the Tubular Bandage'?

This seems to be drastic action to accommodate Latics fans drinking in the Ashton Arms before hopping on the tram to Failsworth. :grin:

http://www.oldham-chronicle.co.uk/news-fea...4/end-of-an-era

Hmmm. I knew this was a possibility a few weeks ago and was waiting for it to be confirmed. Should provide a bit of discussion!

Encourage more visitors to Oldham" Dont make me laugh the council have already destroyed what was one of the best markets around, Why would anyone want to come to Oldham to shop when you are providing an escape route to Manchester!You will be sending parking wardens out in packs next to deter visitors from the town.....too late you are already doing it
the tommyfield was the best market in the country

Encourage more visitors to Oldham" Dont make me laugh the council have already destroyed what was one of the best markets around, Why would anyone want to come to Oldham to shop when you are providing an escape route to Manchester!You will be sending parking wardens out in packs next to deter visitors from the town.....too late you are already doing it

I've got an idea how packs of traffic wardens could make the town attractive to visitors :naughty: