Palace on the brink

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_6182403,00.html

If they went out of business would that mean sheff wed would go back to the championship?

If so would come upto our league Morecambe or rotherham

No, it would simply mean that the championship would operate with 23 teams, with the spare place being passed down the leagues

Would be nothing short of a travesty if Palace went bust and Portsmouth were allowed to continue trading considering the size of Portsmouths debt

It says that everything was going to plan but then Royal Bank Of Scotland said no to the repayment plan and thats what has caused this, surly now is the time for the salary cap. I dont follow rugby much but its not every week we hear this team has gone out of business and this team has. When will they do the salary cap when only the top 10 teams are left.

I used to be of that mind that a few have displayed here...about hoping a club doesn't go bust. I used to feel it'd be a travesty but now with the way football has gone, it needs a big club to go under for football to stand up and realise it needs tackling. I'm not saying I hope Palace go under, but if they did, it wouldn't be such a travesty any longer.

I used to be of that mind that a few have displayed here...about hoping a club doesn't go bust. I used to feel it'd be a travesty but now with the way football has gone, it needs a big club to go under for football to stand up and realise it needs tackling. I'm not saying I hope Palace go under, but if they did, it wouldn't be such a travesty any longer.

I agree things will only happen if a big team goes but it will most likely be too late then, football needs a big kick up the arse and the sooner the better

Palace wont be a 'big enough club' to cause a real change in things.

Until a top 8 team in the prem goes bust, i doubt nothing will change.

However due to the high cash inflow of them clubs, i doubt it will happen.

But a salary cap is needed. Chelsea are rumoured to be starting that soon with the most a new player can get a week is £80k and the same with a player renewing their contract.

Also, someone needs to create a law saying owners buying a club cannot put the amount of money borrowed onto the club, e.g. the Glazers did not spend a penny of their money buying united and they haven't invested a penny into the club either, but took huge amounts out of them.

The people who have power to create these laws need to act soon

Palace wont be a 'big enough club' to cause a real change in things.

Until a top 8 team in the prem goes bust, i doubt nothing will change.

However due to the high cash inflow of them clubs, i doubt it will happen.

But a salary cap is needed. Chelsea are rumoured to be starting that soon with the most a new player can get a week is £80k and the same with a player renewing their contract.

Also, someone needs to create a law saying owners buying a club cannot put the amount of money borrowed onto the club, e.g. the Glazers did not spend a penny of their money buying united and they haven't invested a penny into the club either, but took huge amounts out of them.

Just seen this on another topic

http://www.owtb.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=30118

could this be the first of the bigger teams going, i mean rangers not that other team

UEFA's Financial Fair Play plan goes some way to addressing these areas - clubs must be solvent by 2012 and be self financing so that owners can't pump endless cash into them

UEFA

key points

No, it would simply mean that the championship would operate with 23 teams, with the spare place being passed down the leagues

I don't think its the case if they go out of business tomorrow. It could be that provided the fixture list hasn't been done the team finishing at the top of the relegation zone stays in the division they were in- so Sheff Wed stay in the Championship, the Gills stay in our league and possibly Grimsby stay in the football league (they may not get the same reprive).

I've looked it up on the football league rules and they do seem to be ambivilent with some rules contradicting each other.

Page 7 of the Football League rules says:

12.2.3 during the period between the conclusion of the last Play Off Match and the start of the following Season, its playing record shall not be expunged but the number of

relegation places from the Division in which a Club would have played but for its cessation of membership, shall be reduced by the number of Clubs ceasing to be members and, during that Season, the relevant Division shall operate with a reduced number of Clubs.

I read that as 23 clubs in the Championship and 2 relegated at the end of next season (with three promoted from L1).

Edited by opinions4u

Page 7 of the Football League rules says:

I read that as 23 clubs in the Championship and 2 relegated at the end of next season (with three promoted from L1).

Yup, same applies if stockport dont come out of administration, grimsby chairman not happy

www.sportgrimsby.co.uk/headlines/league-reprieve-blundell-park/article-2229001-detail/article.html

But if you look it also says the Championship and League 1 shall have 24 teams in it and League 2 will have the remainder- so Grimsby won't get reinstated but Sheff Wed and Gillingham might. Like I said its a bit ambiguous

But if you look it also says the Championship and League 1 shall have 24 teams in it and League 2 will have the remainder- so Grimsby won't get reinstated but Sheff Wed and Gillingham might. Like I said its a bit ambiguous

Please could you reference the page / subsection that you are referring to.